PDA

View Full Version : Supra Sunsport Restoration

chautauquasun
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
I am considering purchasing a 1986 Supra Sunsport. It is in need of some TLC and I would like to try and restore it to close to its orignial condition. My question is; are parts readily available to restore the boat. The engine is a PCM 351 so I am not to worried about parts for it. But the boat it self. I have noticed little parts missing like the bracket holding the trim tab. Other parts that appear missing are some of the teak pieces I also know one of the bilges is not working and same thing with one of its blowers. NOt sure if there is a good place to find Supra parts for the boat itself. Your input is appreciated. thanks

87 Sunsport
10-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Some things are easy to get, (cup holders, dash switches,) some are not (airguide, matching vinyl)
Anthony, who works in parts at Supra can answer specific questions at 1-800 320 2729

IndyMatt
10-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Be very careful purchasing a project boat that may have bad wooden stringers- This is a fundamental flaw and can be very expensive to replace. Its like building your dream house on a crumbling foundation!

chautauquasun
10-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have heard about the stringers going bad. Is there any way to tell? I noticed the floor has one soft spot in it in front of the engine cover. Also the hull has had some fiberglass/gel coat patching on the bottom of both sides of the hull. Not sure how to check the stringers without tearing out the floor.

On another note...does anyone know where I would find information on production runs by model and year for Supra boats?

thanks
Dan

sftbll5
11-16-2004, 12:28 AM
if its not to late make sure you try and tighten the motor mount bolts into the hull if they spin freely and will not tighten then you got rot and you probably do not want to do that big of a job on that year boat . good luck!