PDA

View Full Version : prop for 88 saltare

jmbloecher
11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I have a 88 saltare with a 454. The current prop is a 13 x 13 three bladed. I can only get 3600 RPM's out it and it just doesn't pull the way I want it to. The speed is all over the place when someone is riding and its pretty slow to get up. Just wondering if I need a different pitch 4 blades or bigger prop.

wotan2525
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
The new props have a LOT more surface area then the old prop you are probably using.... 3600rpms seems really low. I run a 13x12 Acme and it works really well. I also have a 14x14 antique that is my spare. Works great but you can tell by looking at them that the Acme (even at an inch smaller) has more surface area. I'm a fan of 3-blades (because that's what the experts at OJ and Acme recommended to me.) I'm sure someone will be on here pretty quickly to tell you that they prefer 4-blades. I'd call Acme or OJ or Nettles and ask them for a recomendation.... They know best.

jmbloecher
11-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I guess this is the crazy part but the guy that I bought the boat from just put the 13 x 13 OJ prop. He gave me the box because he thoughout that a 13 x 11 would be better for the boat. Would you know of anything else it might be.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey bud if you have a 1:1 trans and the stock prop is a 13x13, the pro shop recommendation is to stick with a three blade. A new CNC 3-blade is far superior to the old cast brass props.

Your new prop should match your activities behind the boat. Your stock prop is built for top end speed. If you drop into a 11.5 x 13 you will have the best of both worlds. If all you do is surf and wake with lots of weight, look into the ACME913 10.5x13. This is my prop, it's a stump puller. My top speed is about 40. But she blasts outta the hole. Best of luck. Wakemakers or JT at Nettleprops.com are great resources.

sybrmike
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Definitely check with the experts (Acme, OJ, JT, etc.). My 89 Salt with 454 and 1:1 trans had the original 14x14 3 blade and would pull to 44-4500 rpm at what felt 40ish mph (no working speedos) before I tore her apart.

I'm looking to add ~2k of ballast during the rebuild & found a new CNC 13x13 3 blade for cheap, so researched a a bit to see how it would work. The recommendation from the above experts was for that same 13x13 3 blade for equivalent performance to the original. The new CNC 13x3 3 blade I picked up has as much, if not more, surface area than my old 14x14 3 blade so that made sense. Acme said I will probably want to knock it down to a 13x11 with serious ballast.

They also indicated that 13" 3 blade was the way to go with the torque of my BB and 1:1 DD gearing. The 14" 4 blades with a smaller bite work better with the SB engines turning the prop faster through the newer 1:1.23 tranny's and VD's.

Have to wait until spring to see how it works for me, but I'm suprised you can only get 3600 rpm with that 13x13 3 blade. Are you carrying any extra weight (hate to even mention it, but saturated foam and stringers)? Does the engine run fine otherwise? How many hours?

jmbloecher
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
The engine runs great it was rebuilt about a year ago and only has 60 hrs on it since the rebuild. I don't think there is any other weight being carried. The boat does take on a little water but I can usually pump it out. I change replace the the rings and seal in the rudder shaft and that reduced the amount of water coming in. I havn't checked the foam and don't know if you can check that or not. Thanks for the advice yall

87SunSportMikeyD
11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Is it a waxed-rope seal? It should drip 1-3 drops per min. Dripless packing (rubber and a hose clamp) should not leak.

You may wish to check the rudder seal and the bolts holding on the SupraTrapp exhaust
baffles on the transom.

It's a little weird to me that it came with a 14" diam prop. If that is what it came with you should call Nettles or WakeMakers and get their professional advice.

wotan2525
11-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I think all the Saltares did, Mikey -- mine had a 14" x 14" on it, too.

cadunkle
11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Just seems odd you can 't get more RPM out of it. Are you sure your initial timing is where it should be and is advancing properly? Carb ever changed? Is it jetted properly and secondaries opening?

Not sure what prop my Saltare has, not a fancy CNC jobbie though. Looks like an old OJ. I can run about 47 MPH on GPS at something like 4600 RPM (may be a bit low on RPM, memory is fuzzy).

wotan2525
11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Wow! Mine doesn't go anywhere near that fast. In clear water on a nice day I can hit 42-43 tops! Mine will over-rev so I have to be careful as it doesn't make any more power after about 4800-4900 rpms.

Salty87
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
i've got an acme, can't remember the size or model #....3 blade, 541 sticks in my head for some reason.

i can hit 4600 rom at wot which is what i think the manual calls for. my speedo's are questionable but i think i top out at 42.

3600 rpm's is way low. thats's hard on your engine.

jmbloecher
11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
its rubber and hose clamp seal on the rudder. It doesn't leak anymore the water is coming from somewhere else that I can't find. I will check the exhaust could be that. Do yall kown if a 14 x 11 would be a fit for the boat. Yeah that is what I was thinking. Going have the carb rebuilt this winter but I really don't that will change anything.

rludtke
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
My stock TS6m with 351 v8 can turn 4600 rpm whith the original prop and a 1:1 gearbox. This is in the neighborhood of 45 miles an hour. I wonder if your prop is actually pitched as marked, or if the pitch may have been increased without being re-marked? You could try taking the prop to the shop to be measured...

Rusty
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
So which prop did you guys say was good? We do water sports with a lot of people in the boat. cnc? Or acme?

87SunSportMikeyD
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Seriously this is one of the hardest things to recommend for someone. You need to know the engine, trans and stock prop as well as boat make/model/size. Also the intended use (dedicated for wakeboard and weight, or used for slalom only, or all-around, etc).

Step two: Call a professional. They are all super awesome to talk to (you will probably bs for 20 mins) and they will give you one or two recommendations that are going to be more accurate. They may also be able to offer you better sale prices on some of these props.

There are a few great places to call
NettlesProps.com is who I called the family (JT Nettle et al) has been a leading prop business forever
WakeMakers.com has props and great expert advice
And of course you could always call Acme or OJ directly.

Please just take time to call because we are getting these questions quite often and we can't offer that level of advise really. :p

jet
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Mikey, we need a sticky thread for prop's. Jet