PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Fixer Upper

DintyMo
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Not me, and I couldn't "fix" anything, but thought this was interesting for guys here:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/2028019540.html

2007 Supra Launch20, needs a little work. This boat is a fixer upper. Sunk on Minnetonka due to a windstorm in early September. Was only under for a few hours. Saved the engine, but slapped up on the dock a little causing the rear swim platform to fall off and disappear. The rear trim tabs also broke off in the back. Cosmetically the boat looks great, fiberglass in great shape, seat cushions still look new. Will need new alternator, starter and possibly dash component. Definitely a project boat but selling cheap to launch quick, just don't have the time to invest.

Pictures and the guy's number at the link

87SunSportMikeyD
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
So would you guys assume he is right that is would just need a new starter, alt, possibly gauges or electrical? Then platform, trim tab, new rub rail optional? Sounds like maybe 1000 tops for parts only.....

So it sounds like he is hoping for $34-36K? lol Why would you do that if you can get one for $37k that has not sunk.

Any opinions on the risk of picking up something like this?

Purely conjecture....

wotan2525
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I think he's asking 16k, right?

I think he's optimistic in what he says it needs. I'm assuming that the interior is probably shot unless it was dried out the right way. The dash/gauges are probably junk. The stereo and speakers would be junk. The perfect pass is probably gone... Engine management system could be toast... batteries, starter, alternator and (maybe) the ballast pumps/switches could be done.

Also -- the swim deck was ripped off so there may be fiberglass damage... rudder could also be bent. If the engine was stored without draining the cylinders, it could be pretty messed up, too.

That being said... I still think it's a good deal for the right person. @ 16k it WOULD be a good winter project!

DintyMo
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, $16k is his ask. There were some big wind storms in September around Minnetonka, but I didn't hear of any boats getting dislodged - nevermind sunk. I don't mean to suggest he's lying, but rather it wasn't a common event. The fact that it "was down for only a few hours" but the swim platform is missing seems modestly illogical to me.

He admits dashboard items need replacement. Wotan makes a good point re: Perfect Pass, but that isn't a complete necessity. My old Supra didn't even have Perfect Pass.

I've seen some of the rebuilds you guys have done. Even if you put in $8-10k over time, $24-26k for a 2007 is pretty cheap.

Salty87
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
i agree on the estimated damage. multiply what you think it will need by at least 2 or 3.

the problem with this as a rebuild, imo, is the entry point of $16k. it's more than a 'project'. you're also looking at more expensive parts with it being an 07. lots of electronics too and that's where the $$$ and gremlins will be. let's say you get the boat for $15k and think it needs $5k in repairs. now you're in for $20k with a boat that's been at least partially sunk. will the title say sunk? if so, you've got financing and insuring obstacles. big can of worms...

no doubt it makes sense for someone out there.

beast 496
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I had Customer with a 2007 Rinker R1 which went down last summer. The total bill for the haul out and resoration was $18,645.00 Insurance paid all in full. All of the interior had to be replaced due to oil stain and mold. The engine was saved, but the electronics had to be replaced. The dash did not go under if it would have, this would have probably added another $1,500. When a new MPI boat with digital electronic gauges and shifting goes under, it is very costly to restore. I would not offer more than $7,500. Al

DAFF
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I think making a "new" old school project might be the best for this boat. Pull the drive line and pick up an older Supra drive line. More less replace everything you can from an older boat with structual issues. Replacing all the new modern stuff will be very costly.

The rule of thumb of a rebuilt title is 50% of the cost of a clear title vehicle/boat. This is when everthing is fixed and is water ready. So this boat complete will be worth 15-17k in order to walk away from it without loosing your shirt.

stinky_1
12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Generally the "life" of a driveline and engine after being swamped is unknown. It could run only a couple hours, or many many years.

My Nautique was swamped 2 years ago in a wind storm. Ripped the anchor out and pushed it to shore, then filled it with water. It was rocking on the beach until it had enough water in it to sit still.

The vinyl dried out and cracked afterwards

The engine did not go totally under, and the oil dip stick was on the side closest to shore, so it was leaning out of the water. There may have been some splashes going in, but it did not take any water into the engine that I could tell.

to get that boat back into the water and running I needed a new starter, new alternator (not just the cap and rotor) and new coil. That got the boat running for the rest of the season. This was on a 77 with a 305 in it. Most parts were gotten off ebay and shipped over. Total cost was $300 with me doing all the work.

The next year (last year) coming out of storage the engine never really ran right. I bought a rebuilt carb for it and got that on, it helped a lot. I think the needles had got buggered from water being in the gas and a LOT of sand and debris.

The entire hull was covered inside with sand. I pressure washed it a ton to try and get it all out. It took a very very long time to get the grit out of the seats and dash and such.

Overall I consider myself very very lucky that it didnt cost more. The boat is very useable now, and has not had any issues since its all been fixed.

A few things I would suggest for anyone looking at something like this.

First of all, if your not mechanical and very very savy with ebay or other online places you will pay waaaaay too much to get any boat back in the water.

Its hard to tell what it will need or not. This guy who claims it "only needs...." is not sure of it himself, otherwise he would have had that all done and tried selling it for more as a running boat. I agree with the other poster, I wouldnt go much over $6000 for any year of boat that is not running and has been sunk. I see the listing is gone anyway, so its prolly sold to someone.