PDA

View Full Version : Battery location for Saltare?

TitanTn
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm wondering where the stock location for the battery is on a Saltare. I'm not sure that mine is in the stock location. Mine is located in the bilge, just in front of the tow bar. This doesn't seem like a smart location. Where is the stock location and where do some of you guys have the battery located?

TitanTn
11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Ok, I've been doing some looking around and found some pics that put the battery location under the observers seat. That makes sense to me, but how are the cables routed to that location? It's not blatantly apparent.

wotan2525
11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I have mine under the spotters seat but if they weren't there, I'd figure out a way to put them under the glovebox. This is a big open area without any good access but would be PERFECT for batteries. It stays dry and you wouldn't be giving up other space that could be better utilized.

My cables route down through the floor below the spotters seat. Of course, mine is definetely not stock so whatever they did before this is a mystery to me. Whatever you do, get them out of the bilge.... that's where water is!!

sybrmike
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Wotan hit it right - stock location is under the observer's seat. The cables enter the bilge through a hole in the floor located within the boundry of the seat base yet just keel side of the port stringer. They travel across the bilge and then up through a hole just keel side of the starboard stringer up under the helm next to the ice chest.

I haven't quite figured out the details for access, but I plan to move mine up under the port storage/glovebox area that Wotan mentioned. It's wasted space - had to contort down in the playpen and use a pole to retrieve two bumpers and fire extinguishers buried back there after I brought it home. I think Michael Hunter did something like this on his Sunsport by cutting the fiberglass behind the observer's seat base.

TitanTn
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys. I felt like under the observers seat was the most logical location.

sybrmike - I'm a little confused by your description below. The cables enter through a hole in the floor (under the seat I presume) and then travel up the bilge and up through another hole near the inner, starboard stringer, by the ice chest? I can understand the cables traveling along the starboard stringer and then going up through the floor near the ice chest and then crossing over to the observers seat. But I'm confused about the reference to a whole under the seat. I don't know. I've confused myself all the more and completely obliterated your answer. Could you straighten me out?

Wotan hit it right - stock location is under the observer's seat. The cables enter the bilge through a hole in the floor located within the boundry of the seat base yet just keel side of the port stringer. They travel across the bilge and then up through a hole just keel side of the starboard stringer up under the helm next to the ice chest.

sybrmike
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
No problem (wish I just had a picture - wait, I do...). What I'm trying to say is that both the starboard wall of the observer's seat base and the helm kick panel by the ice chest both essentially sit on top of the stringers. Therefore, the cable passage ways are located as close to the center of the boat as possible so as to still be concealed, but without notching the top of the stringers.

Take a good look at how your existing steering cable, dash wiring, etc enter into the bilge (you can see/feel the top of the stringer through the hole). The battery cables enter the same way on the other side. I've also seen the battery cables run from under the observer's seat, forward under the fiberglass wall below the glovebox, and then through a hole under the icechest (directly across from the steering cable/wire loom hole under the helm.

Here's what you have to work with down below - hope this helps. Note that the ice chest is removed in this photo.

Salty87
11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
i cut an access hole in that 'bulkhead'. you'll have to get longer battery cables but you may need those already anyway.

the cables go thru the floor just inside of the main stringer into the bilge. then thru the bilge to the block and starter.

how in the world did someone get a battery to squeeze into the bilge in front of the ski pole??...never trust a previous owner.

Loadup
11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I was scrathing my head on that to Salty, The only way to that area is through a 6 inch dia. hole in my floor. My battery is under observer seat in a sunken battery box.

TitanTn
11-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Ahh. I'm with you now. Thanks guys. That makes sense. And you're right Salty, we shouldn't trust previous owners. I can tell that the previous guy cut a lot of corners. Fortunately he didn't do too much work on the boat, the boat was stored on the trailer, and in a shed. So his impact was limited.

I pulled up the floor on the starboard side of the boat tonight. I'm very pleased to find no water what-so-ever, and that the stringers are fine. I simply need to replace the floor (and move the battery!).

TitanTn
11-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I was scrathing my head on that to Salty, The only way to that area is through a 6 inch dia. hole in my floor. My battery is under observer seat in a sunken battery box.

The previous owner made the whole floor section between the pole and the icebox removable. So I can get to the whole front bilge area.

Now a sunken battery box sounds intriguing. It certainly wouldn't be hard to do while I'm rebuilding the floor. What advantage does it give you? Unless it's completely sunken, with a lid... I don't see that you're gaining anything. Do you have a pic?