PDA

View Full Version : No nuts on swim platform

TitanTn
11-07-2010, 07:11 PM
You may have seen my pics in another thread about my restoration project. After removing the swim platform I was told that I might have a problem putting it back on since the nuts likely fell off on the inside, and behind the gas tank.

I don't know if mine is different than others, but I can tell you that there are NO nuts on the inside. The threads are built into the backing plate, which is also built in. So while I really didn't need to pull my tank, I'm glad I did, because now I'm replacing the floor like I knew I needed to do anyway.

I've pulled up a little bit of the floor and I'm glad to say that the foam is dry and the stringers look pretty good. There's a small issue here and there where the cross members are, but I think with replacing the cross member and re-glassing it, everything will be good.

I just wanted to let other guys know that they might have a case like mine where the swim platform nuts are built in.

TitanTn
11-13-2010, 05:57 PM
So has anyone with a mid to late 80s Saltare observed that the top bolts on their swim platform have threads built into the transom? Mine looks factory, but I haven't read where anyone has mentioned it.

sybrmike
11-14-2010, 11:38 PM
My 89 had little fabricated aluminum plates that were glued and screwed into the back of the transom. They had a a threaded center hole that the platform bracket bolts screwed into.

TitanTn
11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow. That is nothing like mine. Mine are just holes in the transom with threads built into the hole. Nothing more. I was actually thinking about doing something like this - adding a plate with a nut welded in place. It wouldn't hurt to add a little more support.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-19-2010, 12:40 PM
When I saw the title of the thread I thought maybe you were getting some new stickers made for the transom of the boat: "No nuts on swim platform" heheheheheheheh! :P

TitanTn
11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Good point. I think I'm going to make that a standing rule...