PDA

View Full Version : draining the block

waterboy2010
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I went to winterize my boat today for the first time. Its an 05 sunsport with 340 indmar. When I went to drain the plugs in the block I ran into a problem. On my port side where the plug should be I had something else in its place with a wire attached. I unattached the wire and still had no idea how to drain the block. Other side of the boat was fine. It had a regular brass plug. I will post some pics of the piece on the port side. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it and what it is?

michael hunter
11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
That is a knock sensor. Just disconnect the wire and unscrew the whole thing.

waterboy2010
11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok I wans't sure about that. Looks like I may need some vice grips to get it out and it has the red locktite on it. Oh well I will give it a go on wednesday. Thanks

Fman
11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
The red on the threads is probably not lock-tite, but something to prevent leaking. I would be surprised if they used lock-tite to install your knock sensors. At least on my '08 I have no lock-tite used at all.

Also, make sure your batterie swtiches/main fuse panel are OFF before trying to remove them.

beast 496
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Do not use Vise Grips. Use the proper tool, either a box wrench or socket. I prefer a 6 point socket. You can damage the knock sensor if not removed properly Al

Sluggo
11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I believe it is a 7/8" if I recall correctly. Just picked up $23 worth of brass valves and a tee so hopefully this will be the last time I have to remove mine.