PDA

View Full Version : Swapping impeller on a boat with catalytic converter?

phenom_1819
11-15-2010, 02:57 PM
The impeller housing is in a less-than-ideal location in my boat (a 2007 supra 22v with 340 cat engine) -- directly below the cat system, with no visibility.

I removed all bulkheads and panels for access, and was able to remove the housing cover, exposing the impeller. But given the awkward angle and lack of visibility due to the catalytic converter being in the way, I cannot seem to get enough leverage to get the impeller out of the housing!

I tried spraying silicone lube into the housing and cranking (not starting) the engine, and puling it out with needlenose pliers. No luck. My arms and hands are destroyed, and the impeller is still in there. Anybody have any advice? Are there any tools that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

viking
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
there are pullers out there but is there enough room??

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JAB50070-0040

I've always used needle-nose and muscled it out but I have a DD.

Fman
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
The impeller housing is in a less-than-ideal location in my boat (a 2007 supra 22v with 340 cat engine) -- directly below the cat system, with no visibility.

I removed all bulkheads and panels for access, and was able to remove the housing cover, exposing the impeller. But given the awkward angle and lack of visibility due to the catalytic converter being in the way, I cannot seem to get enough leverage to get the impeller out of the housing!

I tried spraying silicone lube into the housing and cranking (not starting) the engine, and puling it out with needlenose pliers. No luck. My arms and hands are destroyed, and the impeller is still in there. Anybody have any advice? Are there any tools that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Try soaking in WD-40, not silicone spray, use quite a bit. You can also use a pair of small vice grips that will make it easier to pull out. They will lock onto the impeller. If you soak it long enough it will eventually break free. If you do this annually, it will also be easier to remove because the impeller will not permiate onto the shaft. The longer it sits in the housing the more difficult it will be to remove.

Good luck.

docdrs
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't forget to soak the inside brass tines so the impeller slides more easily off the crank shaft. then as Fman says small needle nose and wiggle, I believe you must be talking about the muffler that is above the housing that makes it tight access........I think i got right on top of the intake cover and used two hands on the vise grips and used the housing as leverage....took about 5 mins

beast 496
11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
At least you are replacing when the engine is cool. Try doing it with a customer watching, with all of the guest waiting to use the boat. Oh and just after they smoked the impellor and overheated.
I generally use a speciallize puller, but in your instance the muffler is directly in from of the impellor housing. Last summer I removed the cover and snaked in a SST wire around the bad impellor, twisted the wire to gain a grip and then pulled out the impellor. You might have to use some injenuity to remove. Al

phenom_1819
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'm going to go get some small vice grip pliers and apply some wd-40. Gonna try using a hairdryer too to warm it up a bit, I figure it can't hurt.

Fman
11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'm going to go get some small vice grip pliers and apply some wd-40. Gonna try using a hairdryer too to warm it up a bit, I figure it can't hurt.

One other note, when you put the new impeller back in I put a little grease on the shaft and inside the impeller housing to make installation easier. This also seemed to help on the next removal. Not sure if this recommended, but it seems to make it much easier to remove on the next replacement.

Take a peek at this "how to" video on impeller removal/install, its pretty straight forward and easy to follow. The motor is an Indmar so its exactly what you are working with.

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

Sluggo
11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't mess with the tight space and just remove the whole pump housing. Three mounting bolts and one for the stabilization arm then remove the two hoses. Much easier to remove when it's on the work bench.

phenom_1819
11-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Got it! Bought a set of needle-nose vice grip pliers and applied wd-40 liberally... took about 30 minutes of wiggling and pulling. That thing was on there tight... the old impeller was completely destroyed by the vice grips. And amazing how easy the new one went back in (and I know it's best to wait til spring, I wanted to just get it all buttoned up now).

Thanks for the help, guys!

Fman
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Good job, glad you were able to get it replaced!

docdrs
11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
YAY, and like Fman said , when ya install in the spring, some grease or antisieze (love the stuff) on the inside of the impeller helps with next time ya have to remove it.....