PDA

View Full Version : my 1990 Sunsport

stinky_1
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
So my boat was bit famous all ready since somebody posted the auction up in the classifieds section on this forum. In the end I managed to snipe the auction and snag it for $7 less than my highest bid!

The biggest problem was that the boat was slightly north of Chicago Il. I live 1600 miles away in a town called Airdrie Alberta (thats in canada). still, the boat was a great price as far as I am concerned. I ended up convincing my father in law to drive out and pick the boat up for me. he is always looking for any excuse he can find to get out of Saskatchewan (if you have been there you know why). So he was game.

Last week he headed down to pick it up. On the way back there was a pretty bad snow storm. they lost the trailer one time as it came around beside them. Ended sliding the whole thing and them into the shoulder. They were fine, and the boat and trailer were fine. The rest of the trip was uneventful.

Now the boat is sitting at my in laws in saskatchewan for prolly most of the winter.

The back story on the boat is that it was used for an inner city youth group. They took kids out on it for tubing and skiiing. It has just over 600 hours on the meter (which still works). The interior looks decent for the year. It was always winterized and stored in a heated storage over the winter. I got the full service records with the boat which was all done at a local marina.

Now that the boat is north of the border I am on the look out for a nice tower to put on it. I have 1450 lbs of ballasts that I can transfer from my old Nautique into this boat. It will be used primarily as a wakeboat. I hope to get into surfing this year as well. I have the board all ready, but was working on landing TS wake to wake jumps for most the summer. I am getting old and my body is not holding up well so I am hoping surfing will have less of an impact on me.

So, now that you know the story, here are some pics

stinky_1
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
More pics of my new boat

stinky_1
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Even More pics of the boat

DAFF
12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I think if the buyer was to use your pics he would of got much more for the boat. All in all good for you, with a little foam in the rear bench bottom the boat interior would be very decent.

Any ideas of where you plan on starting??? Oh ya get her a tarp shed from Can Tire or something, you must keep the interior dry at all costs.

stinky_1
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the compliments. I am sure with some better pics and beter description in the auction it would have fetched more. I spoke with the owner a number of times before the auction ended. I was convinced his ad was bad but the boat was better than it showed

The cushions in the back are flat because the cover was on and had filled with some water it wS squishing the seats down and they froze like that. I expect in the spring they will fluff up again.

The boat has the cover on now and is being stored in a barn for the winter. There won't be any more snow on it for this year

For now I plan to just get a tower for it and mount it on there. I'll do a full start of the season service some time in the spring and just check over all the mechanicals of it. As long as it's all good I plan to just use it like that for this year

The season after that as long as the boat is holding up fine I may do some more work to it. I don't have a lot of cash so just keeping it going and working for what we want is the priority. If you saw my last boat you would see that looks is pretty low on my priority list. I do like my boats to look good. This one is all ready a million times better looking than my old nautique

Maybe I will post some pics of that one later

Okie Boarder
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Looks good and glad you got it. With 1450# you'll get the wake looking real nice.

stinky_1
12-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Here is a quick photoshop I did up for my wife. She wanted to see what the tower I was looking at for it would look like on it. I know its not the greatest photoshop job, but its a start I suppose.

While I was in the "studio" I figured I would clean up the blue part as well, and see what a bit newer decaling would look like.

This is a before and after

Thoughts?

stinky_1
04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
So after a very long long time I finally made it out this weekend to get my boat from my father in laws place. It was a great trip and its nice to finally have seen something I purchased back in Novemeber.

The pics I think may the interior look better than it really is. The rear vinyl is going to need replacing. I am thinking I will grab some white duct tape for this season and just wrap them in that. The rebuild will have to start in the fall.

The floor certainly has soft spots. I know I will get shunned for my decision, but I am going to just get some plywood and cover over the top of the existing deck at the back of the boat where the soft spots are. In the fall I will most likely end up doing a stringer job.

My New tower is here for the boat all ready. In the next couple days I will get that mounted on the boat. I also will be pulling the tank and back seat out so I can start fabbing up my bracket for my custom Wedge.

The good news is that the mechanical seems 100% at this point. I started it up before I brought it home. It cranked a couple times then fired right up. Pretty good for having sat all winter in storage.

Overall I am impressed. I think it will do well for us for a few years to come.

devovino
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey there, nice looking boat! It will shine up nicely, I know because I bought a similar boat over the winter, an 87 Saltare, which is the same color, and I ended up de-stripping/decalling the sides ( with the help of a magic eraser) and I spent some time wet-sanding ( went 1000, 1500, 3m rubbing compound) and it cleaned up really nice.
As far as my floor goes I will tackle it after this summer, it has some soft spots, and I can Imagine the stringers are much like a lot of peoples on here, so I will tackle that next off season! I plan of doing some in floor ballast, there is a great piece of work on here of how another Rider boat owner did his. So for Now, I have been rebuilding seat backs, reupholstering, working on the trailor and odds and ends. Its a fun process, dont make it a chore!