PDA

View Full Version : Windsheild frame??

jet
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey guys Im wanting to redo my windsheild this winter..any ideas on this?? Paint? Any DIY coatings?? Jet

sybrmike
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I pulled my frames off, drilled the rivets, removed the glass & gaskets, & had all 20 pieces powdercoated with the trailer. Don't know the cost of the frame parts alone since it was a package deal w/ trailer, pulleys, etc. - but I'd guess a hunred bucks or so. I couldn't pull the side vent window glass from the hinge channels, so just sanded and painted (Rustoleum Professional spray can) those two pieces with the glass still in.

$50 to tint the 5 panes w/20% film while they were out. I left the push handles in the vent windows & the tinter cut around them.

I haven't re-assembled yet, so just still just another bucket of parts in my inventory. Original rivets were aluminum w/ black heads. Haven't decided yet if I'll go back with aluminum & dab on paint afterwards, or go s/s rivets & leave em natural.

dusty2221
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Jet, we repainted the frame on the old Malibu. I pulled it fromthe boat and tapped off all the glass, sanded it all down, primed and spray painted.

wotan2525
12-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Sybrmike -- Good info.... This seems like it would be a big project, but it's one that I'd love to tackle. There are some dents in my windshield (and the flip over window is pretty thrashed.) It probably wouldn't be too hard to hammer out the dents once it was disassembled. How does the windshield actually attach to the boat?

jet
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. Its bolted from the bottom of the windsheild through the dash to the underneath. Pretty simple..

sybrmike
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Most are bolted (I've seem some earlier ones that were just screwed). There's a plastic trim piece that is inserted and covers a channel that runs around the base perimeter of the frames where the fastener heads are located. Try to slide the trim piece to one side to open a hole at one end of the channel that you can pry the trim from. Careful, the trim can be brittle and I've had a hard time sourcing longer lengths.

Don't know about your Comp, Jet, but Wotan - IIRC - if it's bolted, getting to the nuts on the underside can be tricky on the observer side vent window on your Saltare (I think through the fresh air intake vent?).