PDA

View Full Version : new to supras and need some help

jsandy
12-07-2010, 12:28 AM
so here it is. i'm josey and live in florence al on wilson lake, so i've always been on the water and around boats and actualy build hotrods for a living, anyways i got into wakeboarding last year goin out on my neighbors 1990prostar190. granted i'm not that good just now getting confident wake to wake. but have my own board and really enjoy it. so i have been saving for over a year and have wanted my own small wake/ski boat for a few years and now am finally goin to bite the bullet and buy one. now being a starving college student i have only been able to save around 5 grand. so i have found 2 boats close that are in my range. 1. 89 ts6m new interior, clean boat with 580 hrs but with no add ons. 2. 89 comp new interior,wake tower,6 speakers but with 1200 hours. so i will be adding a tower nomatter what that is why the 2nd is really cathing my eye. would the extra hours bother you? any suggestions as to what to look for would be great. i know the stingers and floors to check for rot and both boats are 351, and am actually in the process of helping a friend rebuild a 351 in an 84 2001.

LloydP
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
1200 hours is definitely not a lot for an '89. The general consensus is that these engines should go for close to 2000s before needing any kind of major rebuild. You would probably want to have the compression checked, but my guess is that you are already on that!

Be careful...this will be a gateway boat!! Before you know it you will be moving up the ladder to something bigger and more expensive :)

Good luck!

jsandy
12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
yes my compression test kit will be goin with me to when i go look at them. and i want this to be my gateway boat, figured that i could pic one of the older classic supras up, play with it and improve it for a season or 3 and turn around and sale it for what i have in it.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but I would HIGHLY advise you stay away from Comp models unless you are a dedicated slalom skier. They are a tournament ski boat which means they sit really low in the water and they are designed to make a minimally small wake. With respect, from someone who has been there, your consideration set could be:

1: Supra SunSport, Saltare, Maurauder, Pirata,
2: SN 2001

You would have a very tough time surfing a comp for example. Sorry to my bros AND homies who have Comps you guys rock too, but it's a fair warning I feel. :)

oward1202
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Mikey is right. I have an 85 comp and love the way it sits and rides in the water. It's very low profile and sleek but it is not the boat to try to surf behind. Of course you can wakeboard behind it but the better you get at that, the more wake you are going to want and that limit is going to be rather low with a comp. You said you have been behind 190 Mastercraft so you can imagine the wake to be about the same. Again, the Comp is a great boat, but it just depends on what you want to do behind it and what your expectations are.

Good luck and I hope you get exactly what you are looking for.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's not that it won't pull a few wakeboarders no problem, but once you try to weight it down, it gets pretty scary to drive. If you are dead-set on this boat, there are people who weight them and even surf them. It's just not as easy. Ask Jet and Maple.

On the other hand, if you find a SunSport, you're going to have a surf wave that rivals any 21' boat out there. The wakeboard wake is plenty big for learning beginner and intermediate inverts, 3's, 5's, etc.

jet
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
OK homies.. :( Yeah no surfing except with a tight rope,lol. The Comps are one of the pretties boats evermade stting on the trailer or in the water. If your in college everthing is going to be based on price. Go with the cheapest one and do all the work yourself your 1st boat really doesn't matter..your going for price and fun. I usually buy the best vehicles I can find and usually pay the most. But with these older boats Its best to buy old and warn out and do all the work yourself and build it to your likes..that makes it custom and yours! The comps arent REAL SCARY to drive with weght..you just cant go from pulling to neutral quickly, it lowers the nose and can bring water over the front. NOW having said that in any boat you want to back off slowwly, I have seen other boats bring water over the rear doing that, so Its always best to settle the boat down slowly. My boat has been a great boat and has served its purpose. Its cool, fun and looks GREAT! My wake is med sized, great for beginers and a good wake for inter riders to. It also makes you a better boarder because you have to make your pop rather than using the BIG wake to rely on. ANY boat you buy is a good one. Buy it, build it and have fun man. Mikey is right the other boats will be 10% better. lol. Good luck. Jet

jsandy
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
thats what i have read and i dont plan on inverts anytime soon (if ever). i mainly just want a good boat that will hold value and has the capabilities to wakeboard behind. if it is comparable to a 190 than that is fine with me. found one local with 580 hours clean as a whistle and is 4500. already inspected and it is solid so now i'm just try'n to decide

jsandy
12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
i am very familiar with boats, driving dads 42 ft twin 454 scarab and our 21ft 250hp cobra bassboat that does exactly like yall say if you stop to fast be prepaired for a splash in the back. its just that all i have now that i could take out to wakeboard behind is the family pontoon. great for drink'n beer and dancing at tates slew but deff not wakeboard friendly, altho i did use it a few times last year to learn how to olly and what not

jet
12-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Good point on the resale, I paid $12,500 for mine 12 years ago and would like to sell next year as close to $10,000 as I can get. Priceless!!

jsandy
12-07-2010, 03:57 PM
yours is an 89 comp? what do you mean by custom tower? built it or just a universal made to fit? honestly how is the wake? and i'm gunna assume your a better boarder than me about how high can you pop up off the wake?

jet
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I had it made, the only problem is that it has no swoop to it, but otherwise its rock solid. Wake with 1700-1800lbs is 15" or so. Normally we just run 1000-1200 to keep the floor clean and thats even enough. No big bag of tricks for me but I can ride any boat with 2000-3000lbs and hit the flats. lol

dusty2221
12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
If by "hit the flats" your mean surface tricks in the flats, yeah, you got that.

:) :) :) :)

jet
12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
hey..hey!!

mapleleaf
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
you guys are hilarious.....
Back to the comps, it just takes some learning to drive'em while weighted. They're def. not the ideal wakeboard / surf boat, but it can be done....If I had had it to do all over again I'd buy a bigger boat, but you gotta start somewhere.......
And I'm with Jet, with a 1000lb in my boat the wake is plenty fun, not to mention these are primo wakeskate machines........

jsandy
12-08-2010, 01:37 AM
so would that be considered an ok price? seem high or low?

DAFF
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
The wake behind the supra Comp is comparable with a sea doo at higher speeds. The interior is nice for three but after that it will get cramped. I love mine !!!! But it might have a big brother or sister sitting beside it in the near future.

IMO open bow is the only boat to buy!!!! Stay away from the comp style closed bow unless you get it for almost free.

About 30-45 days after Chrismas is the best days for the boat deals. People are locked in for winter and the bills are comming in from the holidays. No one is looking at boats only the smart ones :) During this time you will save thousands. There is no reson why you cant find a nice Sunsport for your price range. In fact a month or so ago I saw a Supra rider with the stringers and floor rebuilt go for $4200. In a case like that i would give up the convience of the open bow for rebuilt stringers and floor.

Keep looking and be patient. It is not like you will be in the water for some time anyhow...

jet
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
DAFF..come on Jeep and supra brotha. Your way off on the ses-doo reference?? A 500lb sea-doo is comparable to a 4000lb boat with 1500 xtra pounds of weight in it. Now way man...

87SunSportMikeyD
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
IMO 4500 is too much to pay for a comp, especially depending on the condition. More details! How is the interior? Did you compression test the engine yet? Trust me man, the SunSports are out there, and they are the same price.........

I know you Comp guys have some videos, link em up. I have my SunSPort vids post in my signature......resist that wave if u can!

stinky_1
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I am going to give my 2 cents here as well. 2 years ago I bought a Ski Nautique. It was a 77, the hull is similar to the SN2001, but doenst have that hook at the back. The wake behind it was great! The problem is the space inside. Its just a small small boat. With a closed bow you are very limited to seating space, and storage was lacking bad!

I looked at the supra comps in my search to upgrade. The boats are very nice looking, but you will have space issues. I guess you really need to visualize what you plan to do with the boat. if you plan to have you, a spotter, and one rider and that is IT, then go for it. What happens if you meet some nice girls at the lake? It would be a very very cosey situation, especially with all the gear in there.

I just picked up a Sunsport on ebay for $2950. I had to travel a bit to pick it up, but so far I am into the boat for $3600. It is in pretty decent shape, and after I add a tower from ebay for $900 I will be ready to go.

I would strongly suggest you either haggle that price down a LOT, or wait for something else that offers more space. Even if you dont need it now, you will want it soon! I promise

DAFF
12-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Jet, how many tournament ski boats can you think of that make less wake than a non sacked comp???? The Centurion Wave does not count..

Any how it was a 3 passanger Doo!! Got to keep it legal to ride behind.

stinky_1
12-10-2010, 01:12 AM
ski brendella does a good job of having no wake at all without sacs

jet
12-10-2010, 12:16 PM
OK..OK.. your killing this guy. My COMP holds 1200 lbs all hidden..or I can do 1400 with one small 400 on the floor behind the engine, it holds up to 6- people with 1 riding, (its only tight when everyone wants to stand up and walk around at the same time) but I usually go out with 3-guys and load it up 1600-1800lbs, it has a nice 15"-18" wake (taller and wider than a sea-doo,lol) My only problem is I live in a WINDY state, Tx. These boats like smooth water..but who goes out on real wind days anyway??. Jsandy..you want to ride, board and have fun..and really ANY boat will do. Buy what you want and get out there and have fun. I love my boat VERY much, are there BETTER boats..yes. BUT! I love hanging out with my Supra buddies even more. Jet

p.s. all I want when I ride is smooth water and a long run..I could be behind a sea-doo and it wouldn't matter to me..I love riding. It is WHO I am and Its ingrained into my soul..and it takes all of my problems away. I love you man. :cry:

96Comp
12-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm with Jet. My Comp has a 18" or so wake when loaded with 2 v-drive sacks. A little smaller with 2 side sacs. I use the side sacs with more people and their weight makes up the difference between the side and v-drive sacs. With the correct talent (does not include me) boarders have done grabs, inverts and spins off my boat. I can manage a spin, but just barely! However, this boat really shines as a competition tow boat -- which is exactly what it was designed to do! I like to slalom more than wakeboard, so it's perfect. My kids like to wakeboard, so it's perfect for them. The boat can be tricky when wet (loaded with sacs). I also raise the wakeplate and helps shape the wake. Also helps to bring in your rope a few loops. You won't get that long pendulum speed as a longer rope will give you, but as someone else said, popping off a small wake will make you a better wakeboarder. (I suppose the reverse is also true that running the course on a large wake will make you a better slalom skier!) The only thing I cannot do is drop the rope while surfing. We went to a short board to do some spins. Got to pass the rope, though. Get the boat to fits what you want to do -- also get a trampoline. In addition to making your homeowner's insurance go up, it will help you with the air-tricks. I think the Comp looks the sleekest on the water, but I am biased! I went with a New Dimensions tower on mine and the shade n store to help declutter all the toys.

stinky_1
12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Please dont get me wrong, ANY boat is better than NO boat.

I guess the question comes down to this though. If all you comp owners could do it again, and your looking for a boat, and you have the cash, would you STILL buy a comp having owned one? or, would you look for something like a Sunsport if the price was going to be about the same?

I think the price of this comp in question has hedged too far into the same price range as a decent Sunsport or similar. If the price was less, then it would be an easier decision. but I cant give advice to a stranger to buy a boat like this when I know I just got my boat for a bit less. Especially if he is a college student, I think the open bow is an option he would want if he knew he could get it in his price range.

stinky_1
12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I am guessing these are the 2 boats in question?

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/boa/2053247994.html

http://shoals.craigslist.org/boa/2032532841.html

stinky_1
12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I am really sorry to Hijack this thread so bad. Here are a couple boats I found in your general area that I would recommend at least having a look at or investigating further.

I realize some of them are a couple hundred miles from your current location. If the boat was the right price you could factor in your road trip to pick it up into the cost. You get an adventure, and a boat at the same time.

If you MUST have a comp then I would look at something in this range first

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2064006891.html

If you dont mind driving a bit farther and have the $5000 anyway then I would consider one of these ones

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/2037176868.html

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/2050818440.html

96Comp
12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
If I could buy again would I buy a Comp? Yes! Like I said above, I also slalom so I like the smaller wake. There are times when an open bow would be nice. He needs to consider life cycle and use. If going to invest a lot of $$$ to make a Comp a board boat, may not want to do it. It is a dry (no built in ballast) limited storage boat. When it comes time to sell, he'll have to find a slalom minded buyer. If he is a die hard boarder may be better to build a Sunsport over time. The hull is a classic and will be serviceable for years! But, not as classic as the Comp :))

stinky_1
12-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I assumed that the OP was more wakeboard oriented which was why he is saying he would be putting a tower on whatever he buys.

I will agree that adding a tower with lots of racks on it is a great way to keep the boat clear of clutter though. as far as I am concerned it is the ONLY way to make some of these smaller boats work.

Thank you for your honest opinion, especially stating the reason why you would go with the comp over the other options. I guess what we really need is the OP to come back and state what exactly he is planning to use this boat for, and then we could better give our opinions. I always assumed he was looking for a budget boat he could wakeboard on.

jet
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
OK bigger boat guys..try this! Put her in the garage. lol. Mine fits right in there..no storage fees-$100-$150, no tongue fold over and I can walk right out in the garage and start working on her. I know older homes have larger garages but my house is brand new and tight. For budget wakeboarding this boat is great, you dont need a HUGE truck or huge storage place to store it. This thread is never going to end is it. lol

stinky_1
12-12-2010, 03:31 PM
How about an 85 sunsport, and a 90 sunsport (both 20'), no swing away tongue and a merc in the corner??

I doubt a college student is worried about if the boat will fit in his garage though. And when it is time to buy a house he prolly wont have the comp anymore anyway.

cadunkle
12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
All i know is I'm glad I ended up with a Saltare. Plenty of room, feels huge inside compared to my old 21' I/O, and despite the boat being 2' longer than my I/O it actually takes up a lot less space in the yard due to the trailer design, and if I removed the platform it would really shorten up the package. Can't fit in the garage because it's too wide, but such is life. For not it gets stored outside over winter since I can't justify the cost of storage (college student here, storage would be $230-$300/mo).

I was considering a SN2001 before this, but kept getting hung up on closed bow, narrow, and no room. Granted I usually only have 4 people in the boat, but it's nice when more people come along. No worried about stowing gear, food, drinks, or people.

My advice to the OP is to keep your eyes open for a larger boat, open bow, more freeboard or some combination thereof. Still have a couple months before people get the itch and prices go up.

96Comp
12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Talking about Supras and Comps here - will never end! The Comp on a fold tongue trailer is 20'5" without swim platform. Fits in my garage straight back and you can walk around it. The old trailer had to go in at an angle, but still fit. That was the excuse I used to get the new trailer! Safety was the rationale for the tandem axle, since she will tow it when I am away. See, Hun, I am only thinking about you! Damn I am a good husband!

87SunSportMikeyD
12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
blah blah (post edited) hold out for the SunSport if you dont ski.

jsandy
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
actually i already own my house. long story but yea homeowner. and as far as garage storage it wont be an issue my parents are older and live on the river about 8 miles away from me and have a very large empty garage at there house that i can store it at. but to update i went to look at the comps both very nice boats but have decided to listen to all of your advice and hold out for a sunsport or just a more wakeboard appropriate boat. and in doing so i have found an 91 sunsport that is in my wheelhouse of price/quality. bad part is that it is in fort walton about 6 hours away from me

stinky_1
12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you take a look at the ads for the 2 I posted above as well? I am not sure your talking about either of them.

I drove for 3 days to pick my boat up. But the price was definitely right on it. Its a buyers market right now, just remember that his asking price is not necessarily the price you have to pay. Maybe try to remind him that you have to drive for 6 hours just to have a look, so you want to share that cost of fuel and such with him in the price (discount off asking price), or try to have him meet you half way.

If your lakes are not frozen I would recommend a lake test as well. You can always wear a winter jacket if the wind is cold, but it helps give you piece of mind on the purchase.

Dont forget to post pics up afterwards!

jsandy
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
yep the blue one in GA is the one i'm wanting to go look at. love the color, i absolutly hate the color red (or crimson if you live in bama) int is nice and motor is lowish miles 550. now just to convince my gf to ride with me 6 hours to take a ride in a boat when it is a heigh of 30 degrees. time to test the love i guess

stinky_1
12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I am more partial to the blue as well. I have seen that red look really really good (for red), but would prefer the blue too.

Something to keep in mind is that the price is a little less, and it has a tower on it. Plus the speakers and such. So, for something that is within your budget it is ready to go now (red or not).

You can always put a tower on the blue one though, but it will cost you another $800+ if you can do it yourself or $1200+ if you need someone else to do it for you. I would try to find out why he says the current trailer is not ready for a long trip. And then see about negotiating the "other" trailer into the price of $5000 if he is not willing to move at all.

And let us all know how it goes! Take lots of pics and have a fun road trip. If you make a weekend of it you could have a lot of fun, and get a boat out of the whole thing

jsandy
12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
well he agreed to meet halfway so i guess we will see. think sat will be a beautiful day for a rd trip

stinky_1
12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
That says a lot if they are willing to meet you. At least he is confident in what he is trying to sell. Otherwise I wouldn't think he would be willing to drive it anywhere

87SunSportMikeyD
12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah that is really nice of him. I went 5 hours for my boat. Once in winter just to look at it and he started it up for a sec. I gave him a little money down to hold it for me pending lake test/compression test. We came back in early spring for that and drove her home! LONG day, try to get a couple people just to ride along it helps with the stress level.

jsandy
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
yea my wakeboarding buddy with the 2001 is goin and my gf so it should be a pretty ok day

jsandy
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
welp went and looked at the boat and. yep its mine set'n in the driveway right now. pics to come in the morn

mapleleaf
12-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Man I love the feeling of a "new" to me boat...
Congrat's, now bring on the pics....

stinky_1
12-19-2010, 10:38 AM
yes, cant wait to see some pics. Do you mind sharing with us how much you settled on?

DAFF
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
See, Santa does exist !!!!! Throw the keys in a box for Chrismas morning. :)

jsandy
12-19-2010, 12:11 PM
i ended up pay'n AROUND :) 3500 (ok little less) and about 100 bucks worth of gas and a day of me and dad ride'n so it was pretty fun. all in all i think it should be ok i'm very mechanicaly inclined and the motor/trans looks and operated fine as i could tell. a little costmetic detailing and probly going to repaint the blue on the side. thinking of going with a more metailic blue and silver supra logo on the side and the chrome logo across the back.

stinky_1
12-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow that sounds like you got a great price on it. Deff looking forward to the pics

jsandy
12-20-2010, 12:49 AM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150361038195335&set=a.200721340334.258128.501965334 how the hell do you post pics?

https://s-hphotos-ash2.fbcdn.net/hs393.ash2/67171_10150361038195335_501965334_16536612_4572469 _n.jpg

stinky_1
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
wow you are a tease!

Looks great! you even got a 10 foot pole with it? And it has racks on it. thats not bad at all. A tower is nicer, but for function this will certainly get the job done.

Way to go.:D

87SunSportMikeyD
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
OH BABY!!! SNAP - DOUBLE SNAP!!! That lady is HOT!!! I could not be more excited for you!! I can't see the stringers or the engine from that one pic (please tell more!) but she is one fly ride!

Earlier in the thread I felt like the d**k who was trying to be a know-it-all or whatever for suggesting you look at the SunSport instead of the Comp. But you have a surf-monster on your hands now!

The former owners of my SunSport did not wakeboard at all, it was used for slalom and barefoot. So it's not like this boat can't do both too! :p

That Ten Foot Pole is about $300 and the racks about $200 as well so you got hooked up for sure. Think of it this way - even if you replaced the motor or stringers you would still be spending less than I did on my boat. :p

oward1202
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
It looks great! It's hard to tell from the pic but the interior looks like it's in good shape also. Great job. Glad you took your time and did some research and got what you wanted.

Congrats!

stinky_1
12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I bet your happy you held out for that instead of one of the comps. I agree though, we need a LOT more pics than just that. I havent even seen my new boat in person yet, and wont until may, so pics of boats like it is all I have to keep me through the winter.

I love the dark blue BTW.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
To post pics click the icon that looks like a painting of a mountain (right above the text box) then paste the address of your picture.

jsandy
12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
as far as pictures thats exactly what i did and it just posted the link. the int is in really good shape just needs some elbow grease and a sunday to look like new, one tear on the top of one of the play pen seats is all. the motor looks ok not pretty but it runs flawlessly (knock on wood) and i will break out the de-greaser and wire brush in spring, plus sandblast the pullys and valve covers for some fresh paint, one stringer may be suspect to rot. but my plan for that is to cut a window into the top of the stringer and take a look and fix if needed, then get some 3in by 1/4 in think aluminum angle and make stringer supports i guess? for both sides and bolt the motor mounts to those then bolt the angle to the stringers. figure that is beter than just into the wood. and yes i am extremely greatfull for all the advice on waiting for a sunsport, my buddy had his 2001 out there sunday also (first drive after motor rebuild) and its amazing how much bigger and roomier mine is than his (and i paid less).

stinky_1
12-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I see you have a board on that rack too. Did someone actually get in the water?

DAFF
12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Nice too see you got her out on the lake. I was on the water yesterday too! The sled ran flawless !!!! Ice is almost 6" thick ....

jsandy
12-21-2010, 09:01 AM
wow. yea no ice here in north alabama just yet. we actually usually get atleast a skim over of ice around the end of jan. and no no boarding for me, just wanted to see what the boat was like with the gear

sybrmike
12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Merry Christmas to you - she looks sweet!

87SunSportMikeyD
12-21-2010, 12:38 PM
You posted the link but it only showed up as a URL hyperlink. TO make it a picture, you need to either click the picture icon above your post or use this code with no spaces
[ img ]htpp:blahblah[ / img ]

96Comp
12-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Go to YouTube and search for Extreme Watersking on HO. This video rocks. Don't need a big wake or even a wakeboard!

03bamaGT
12-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Looks like you got yourself a killer boat...I live down in Birmingham and go up to Florence area every once in a while to visit the GF's family.

jsandy
12-28-2010, 09:17 PM
would like to metion how much i hate winter and working 10 hour days. but on a happy note GF got me a sweet Hyperlite lifejacket and some speakers for the boat, Kicker 6.5s and a 10, yea she's a keeper. Plus her parents run a sign shop and can make my supra stickers for the boat, HELLS YEAH!

jsandy
12-29-2010, 01:31 AM
btw whats the best bilge pump to replace the one in my sunsport? want an automatic one please

87SunSportMikeyD
12-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Haha awesome!!! I got a wetsuit myself, havent had one in years, I am stoked! As for the bilge pump check SkiDIM.com, that's where I got my new one.

To make it automatic there are two ways. One is a 'float switch' which you screw into the floor of the bilge and the switch floats so when water rises the switch moves vertically (floats) and activates the pump.

I use this when I go camping and leave the boat in the water overnight. Only thing is you have to leave the power on or else wire the pump direct to your battery. Some people dont like these float switches because debris can prevent the float switch from 'floating'.

There is also an electrical current sensor that is more accurate but it's a couple hundo $$ and the float switch is only like $10.

haugy
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
How did you find the boat? I've been looking for a Sunsport for a while. If I had seen that boat I would have hauled ass to get it.

Congrats on the new ride, very nice. I hope I'll see it out on Wilson Lake when I visit my home town next summer.

jet
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Mikey..I just installed my float switch too, last Nov. I installed it to high though..need to lower it now. Be sure and install it as low as you can. I cant believe I over looked that for so long..pushing that manual button every 10mins for 10 years now. lol. I guess if Its not shinny or makes it go faster or louder we tend to over look it. :roll:

87SunSportMikeyD
12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Now every time I hear the auto bilge I turn off the music and make every one be quiet and go 'shhh shh shh..... what's that noise? Boat taking a pee? OH YEAH AUTOBILGE WHO IS PIMPIN NOW!'

jsandy
12-31-2010, 09:23 AM
was looking at a Rule 750 that said it had an enternal switch. any good?

jet
12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think that a 750 gpm is enough. Once I dropped my boat in the water, went and parked the jeep came back and started the boat checked the eng and saw the bottom of the boat was FULL of water. I forgot to put the plug in. :shock: So I put the plug in drove over to my friends lake house and beached it, turned on the 750 bilge and it drained for 2 hrs!! After that weekend..I went to a 1100 gpm bilge. Just think if a fat sac ever broke in the boat you want as much gpm's as you can get. You can by a 1100 rule for $40 bucks at your local shop. Get one!! Jet

03bamaGT
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Like Jet said I would run at least a 1100, more is better.

stinky_1
12-31-2010, 05:57 PM
My bilge pump is very low flow. It keeps up fine for just keeping whatever happens to get into the hull, out. But if you have an emergency you will wish you had a higher flow rate in there.

The question about finding a boat.... I found mine on Ebay. But I have been using this site for a while now

http://www.searchtempest.com/

You just punch in what your price range is, set the catagory to boats. And throw the keyword in. Then also tell it how far you are willing to drive from your zip code. It will find everything listed between you and there. It helps a ton. Thats where I found this boat that the OP ended up buying. I am not sure if he also found it himself, or just used the link I gave him.

Hope that helps you all.

Ill be switching to an auto bilge this spring as well. I dont sleep good when I know my boat takes on water and its in the lake over night.

jsandy
01-04-2011, 02:41 AM
so as i set here looking at my poor cold boat i cant help but feel sad. so to make me happy i wanna spend some money. ok so i dont wanna spend money but i dont want to play with my boat so that means money has to leave my wallet (or it will go bad right?) so guys what do i need to buy for the boat for a good tune up for spring and where do you find these goodies?

stinky_1
01-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I learned the hard way that if you have time and your bit is sitting there for a bit you should do a compression test on the motor. Nothing worse thasn expecting your boat to run all summer long to find out you have a weak cyl, and then blow the head gasket.

After your sure your compression is good you will want to do all the fluids in the engine, new plugs, new wires, cap and coil.

Have a look at the harness connections. Sometimes moisture gets in there and corrodes things up. Actually unplug all the connections you see, have a look for rust or corrosion. if there is none, then get some petroleum jelly or electric grease and load those connections up before you put them back together. If there is corrosion then clean that all up with a small dremel tool, or some sand paper rolled up or other method. Once its clean then do the step above. You should do that for every connection you see.

Make sure your linkage to the carb moves freely and your steering turns without binding. Even if they do, you will want to consider lubing those up as well.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. You basically want to know exactly where the boat is at for maintenance. It will cost you a bit, but may as well do it now just to be sure.

I am sure others will chime in.

03bamaGT
01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Check out skidim.com

Go ahead and replace your impeller and serpentine belt, cheap and both tend to go bad.

jsandy
01-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Any differance in marine rotors and caps compared to auto?

wotan2525
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Any differance in marine rotors and caps compared to auto?

Yes. They are sealed up to prevent an errant spark. I know plenty of people that run automotive distributors. It's your call if it's worth the risk. For me, it is.

jet
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Auto is no prob..buy it down the street at half the price. Be sure and change over to the electronic ignition and get rid of the points. Best mod ever!!

jsandy
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
were did you get your electronic ignition kit?

stinky_1
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
yes, deff agree on ditching the points if you can.

a word of caution though with using auto parts on a boat. Your insurance company may not cover you if they find non marine parts, and the coast gaurd is authorized to pull you off the lake and fine you as well.

That out of the way...... I went to the auto wrecker and grabbed a new electronic distributor and cap and coil from an old chev truck with the 350 in it. Threw that in my 305 that was in my nautique.

Your motor is probably ford based, so you just need to find out which vehicles had the same motor and throw it on in there. Its a pretty basic swap and for sure worth it if your getting rid of points.

DAFF
01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Isn't the weights on the distributor for timing advance different from auto to marine??? Because the marine engine is always under load. This thought was the main reasoning I still have points in mine. Also they are fun to set up every other month.....

stinky_1
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
its possible that the timing advance curves will not be the same. The elecronic system does not have actual weights though, thats a points things.

What I can say is that I considered that as a factor as well. After swapping it over I had no problems at all in any way. Power was stronger, Carb could be adjusted better, and it worked right out of the box.

I went with wrecker parts because I was concerned about that too. I thought $20 for a dist, cap, rotor, and coil was not bad. And was willing to gamble it.

Hopefully someone that has done the swap on your exact engine type can chime in with specifics of what they did, where they got it and so forth.

Ill let you know in the spring what I end up doing with mine.

jet
01-06-2011, 11:59 AM
You can get them at Summit or Skidm.com. They are like $120?? Easy instructions to install. You want to replace these pretty quick because the "lobes" on your distributor that run your points are wearing down and wont open up 100% of the cycle, there for your engine isnt running properly or at 100% and makes you have to adjust them constantly. Replace them fast. For the last 5 years my boat has started on the 1st bump of the key..I swear it starts like Its a EFI motor now. GREAT MOD! Do it!..Do it!..just do it!!

jsandy
01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
anybody have part numbers for all the filters i can replace on my motor/trans?

jsandy
01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra14.jpg

jsandy
01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra13.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra11.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra10.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra9.jpg

jsandy
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra4.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/1219101035.jpg

jsandy
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
and some pics from my house and some of the stuff i build
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/1118101615.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/1029100243b.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/1029100243a.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/0105111324.jpg

jsandy
01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/0107111750.jpg
just finished this one today. 2010 chevy dually every option available and only has 7,000 miles
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/0107111327.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/0105111323.jpg
chevell with 24s and a twin turbo ls3 in the making
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/0105111323a.jpg

oward1202
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Jet, do you happen to know exactly what all I will need to swap my 351 in my 85 comp over to electronic ignition. I have never done that and everything that I read here tells me that it's one of the best mods to do. Sounds like it made a huge difference for you. What kind of changes did you notice once you swapped yours over?

Thanks for any help.

jet
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Mine never ran consistantly, rough..good..ok..crappy..it would take 1-2-3 turnovers before starting. NOW, bump..start..bump..start. Just like a efi boat. Super nice. I think also Its pushes more voltage also, so more spark?? Can anyone elaberate on this?

here you go:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP173072

stinky_1
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
it will make you spark stronger and a lot more consistant. No more point to worry about is the big thing. a points system will work very well when it is maintained and setup properly. Since most people dont know how to do that it makes your boat run like crap.

This is why you have the inconsistancy. Some days its great, other days its a crap shoot if your boat will even run.

With your stronger more consistant spark you will get better start ups (as Jet said). You should also notice a lot more linear power, and consistant power.

the other thing most people may not pay attention to, since your spark is so consistant you can now actually TUNE your carb to run right. Before you would have been guessing, is it the spark or fuel. Most people jump on the carb to adjust since you cant really adjust the spark. So your carb is all out of whack half the time.

Its deff worth while to do the upgrade.

TitanTn
01-15-2011, 10:41 AM
jsandy - Great looking projects. As I said before, I'll be expecting some amazing work on that Supra! Document your progress and keep us informed.

jsandy
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
goin to look at a tower as we speak

jsandy
01-22-2011, 01:21 AM
so little update. tower is in the shop beside the boat. monster tower with 4 crossfire 6x9s in a crossfire encloser. traded my pylon and 200 bucks. and in my book thats a good deal.

stinky_1
01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
you traded your pylon and $200 for the tower? I thought I was a wheeler and dealer, but you take the cake!

Way to go. Remember, lots and lots of pics. Show us the install and the finished product.

jsandy
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
pics will come but gota get a 52 bel air outa the way first

87SunSportMikeyD
01-27-2011, 05:22 PM
wow awesome pickup!

jsandy
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
well quick update on the ole sunsport chased out all the crackes in the top of the hull and it is in primer waiting for a little more nice weather to finish it up. and big news is that i got a job at Skiers Marine North in athens al running the pro-shop and sales. they sale new supras and moombas. so pretty excited about that

TitanTn
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Congrats on the new job. That sounds like it'd be fun.

mapleleaf
02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
what'd you "chase" them cracks with?? Got some of my own....

jsandy
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
i dug them out with a die grinder with a cone shaped burr tool. just ran it along the crack down to the fiberglass then went back with my da sander and widened them out a little more then smothed them out with some fibergass renforeced body filler then finished smoothing it down wirth regular body filler.

jet
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
After revisiting this thread and re-reading my responce, I forgot to add the reason for my crappy running points. Adjusting the points is real easy (I can do it after 15-beers,lol) Weather your having problems or not Its a VERY good idea to change these out quick! What people overlook is (like my boat) the lobe on the distributor that opens and closes the points was worn down. Meaning that they will never operate correctly again without replacing the distributor. And most light mechanics and even good mechanics will not check this or overlook it. So replacing these should be a high priority. The difference is incredible!! Jet

jsandy
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
to touch on that i got to looking at my distributor and WAM! somebody put a mallory marine unit on the boat so yay saved me some coin

jsandy
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
so i've decided to have my boat wraped. not all of it but the blue part instead of paint. anyone ever done this?

DAFF
02-26-2011, 05:40 PM
As I read your last post, I thought a new wrap on an older boat might give it a nice face lift. Also burry the years of abuse from the sun on the old gel coat.

stinky_1
02-26-2011, 07:33 PM
here is a thread about it and a pic to wet your appetite

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/628947.jpg

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=8095&highlight=boat+wrap

Hope that helps you a bit. I think in the end everyone decided going to a local 3M dealer would be cheapest. Thats what I figured anyway

jsandy
03-19-2011, 11:35 PM
well its been a while since i've had a chance to work on the boat but over the past weekend i was able to get a little work done. plus i rewired the radio and ran new speaker wires. as you can see i did some fiberglass work to fix were the power pole fell on the boat. nothing majob but ground out the bad and reglassed it back to new. and while i was changing the oil i decided some of the bracketry needed some fresh paint to clean the motor up and so i yanked all that out. plan on pulling the valve covers and sandblasting them also. o and my pawpaw helped me plane down the wood and varnish it.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/040-3.jpg

jsandy
03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra7.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/034-4.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/033-4.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/032-4.jpg
my dog soco aproving of my "fresh air" paint booth

jsandy
03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/038-3.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/037-3.jpg
apologize for the night pics but thats just when i had time tonight to take pics
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/039-3.jpg

jsandy
03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
and of course nothing ever goes smooth with a boat. so when i decided to change the spark plugs tuesday afternoon apperently i did understand how strong i was cause SNAP!
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/035-4.jpg
for those wondering what this pic is. well its what was left of the number 6 sparkplug. was siezed in the head and snaped off. luckly all the porcilen (spelling) came out. so a few days of pb blaster and a little torch action and a new set of ez-outs and a little more muscle and ........
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/036-3.jpg
keep reminding myself that this will all be worth it when i can do this again.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/rivercamaro031.jpg

Tackleberry
03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Looks like good times! I'm just east of you on Wheeler Lake. I used to spend a lot of time in Second Creek in Rogersville.

jsandy
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
thats cool. i spend alot of time on wheeler now thanx to my job. work at Skiers Marine North in athens. should come by and check us out

Tackleberry
03-24-2011, 01:10 PM
thats cool. i spend alot of time on wheeler now thanx to my job. work at Skiers Marine North in athens. should come by and check us out

I stopped in there as Chad was opening up shop back a few months ago. Chad and his Dad, Rett are good folks. I worked out at Alabama Watersports closer to Rogersville before they closed. It's D&D Marine now. I've gotta stop in and get Chad to order me a knob screw thing for my tower in the next few days.

leeyn
03-26-2011, 01:47 AM
advise you stay away from Comp models unless you are a dedicated slalom skier. They are a tournament ski boat which means they sit really low in the water and they are designed to make a minimally small wake....

jet
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Heres PROOF that comps ARE alot of fun, you can sac them out 1700-1800lbs, you can take them out in 3'-5' waves, YOU CAN WAKEBOARD BEHIND THEM (who would have thought??) Its no XSTAR but either is yours!! And you dont here us slamming your boat. Probably 50-70% of wakeboarders cant do 22-23 mph, they cant hit the wake heelside and toeside with full ballast!! So in reality (yes, mine) this boat would be a great fit for MOST boarders.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

stinky_1
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
As anyone will see from pics of my boat thread. I was riding behind a 15 foot runabout with a 55 hp outboard motor.

You can wakeboard behind almost anything. If someone has not purchase "almost anything" all ready, then they can try to make a better choice. If you had to choose between a sunsport or a comp and your primary goal was wakeboarding then we should all agree that the Sunsport would satisfy more people in that department.

This is NOT to rip on a comp. I owned a Nautique that is very comparable to a comp. It worked great, but at the end of the day when I needed more room I upgraded to the sunsport.

Both boats are great boats, and the comp can be used for everything the sunsport is used for. But you will be giving up things. Things like open bow, storage, seating space, freeboard, staying dry on windy days, etc.......

I know Jet is passionate about his comp. And with his addition planned for the summer I am sure he will be showing a lot of people how his comp can hang and still make a great wake. But my Sunport is still better :D

jet
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I know..I know..Im just tired of hearing it on my supra board. How boat the comp is good but the sunsport is better. evil grin!! That was a good comeback stinky..I'll kill you later. Oh, and you know what they say about guys and there BIG boats..I got you beat. :D

Safety Bob
03-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I am getting back into boating myself. Mailed my deposit on a beautiful 88' Supra Saltare. She has just 274 hours and is super clean all the way around. The 454 will suck some gas, but you have to pay to play! Can anyone give me some tips on how to winterize this properly? I am also looking for information on how to change the impeller before I put it in the water in May. Please send me a few leads if you can. I would like to work on this myself as I am a backyard mechanic. Thank you!!!:D

stinky_1
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
...Oh, and you know what they say about guys and there BIG boats..I got you beat. :D

My wife reminds me all the time about that. "you dont have any problems in the size department so why do you even bother trying to prove anything to these guys"

I never noticed those saltys had a double captains seat. I really like that idea! I wonder if I can make it work in my supra? It would come in handy a lot with our younger children.

Safety Bob
03-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Is there a Service Manual avialable for a Supra? I want to take good care of this Salty so it lasts for a long time! How can I get at the spark plugs? Can you for an inboard when putting it away? Thanks much!

tg0824SSVGG
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
There are some owners manuals, but not all -- here: http://supraboats.com/library/

Tackleberry
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
advise you stay away from Comp models unless you are a dedicated slalom skier. They are a tournament ski boat which means they sit really low in the water and they are designed to make a minimally small wake....

I took my Comp out this past weekend and had no trouble getting enough air to stick a back roll. All it takes is weight in the boat. I ski too, so it's the best of both worlds for me. The 2005 Comp LTS has the same hull as the 2005 Launch LTS.

jsandy
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
little cold was'nt it tackle?

jsandy
03-28-2011, 11:20 PM
and saftey bob just take some time and read all the posts on this thread. about any question about a supra was asked and answered.

Tackleberry
03-29-2011, 11:55 AM
little cold was'nt it tackle?

It was actually weekend before last. WHen it was in the 80's. HAHA, the water was so cold, my nuts were in my throat the whole time. Of course, I just had a spring suit on, which doesn't insulate very well. Meh, still fun though.

jsandy
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
welp finally got my tower on. pics coming soon

Tackleberry
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
WOOT!!! Post 'em up.

jsandy
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/009-11.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/008-10.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/007-10.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/005-11.jpg
forgot to take a picture of the interior after a good clean up. i know its a no no but used some purple power de-greaser and it cleaned up like newish, then finished up with a good soaking of 303 and buffed all of the interior gel coat and buffed the glass and windshield frames and they look like new. had a little overheating issue but that was solved with a new thermostat. so hopefully next weekend will bring more pictures and maybe some wakeboarding

Okie Boarder
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Boat is looking pretty good. Definitely post up some interior shots. That trailer looks pretty rough.

jsandy
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
yea trailer is deff junk. hope it just hold together long enough to find a replacement

stinky_1
04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
looking good. The tower works well with it.

jet
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
How bout some Z28 pic's too! lol

jsandy
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
next time i've over there i'll snap some. dads 69 z28. resored it about 5 years ago for him. our 68 firebird is on the other side

haugy
04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Congrats on the Supra, looks good. Are you down in Shoal Creek? My family lives down there. Next time I come down with mine, I'll have to cruise by.

I'm also glad to see that Safety Bob was able to pick up one of those Saltare's in my thread. Congrats!!!

jsandy
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
yep my parents live on shoals creek and i live in florence down the road.

jet
04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Awww..now you have my attention. I had a 69 Lemans and sold it and bought a 70-GTO Judge!! And Im in love with the 69-firebirds and 74-455 trans am. I love old pontiacs. Thanks man..you brought a smile to my face. lol

jsandy
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
firebird actually has a 71 455 out of a 71 grand prix nascar model

jet
04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Boing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoals creek?? wheres the invite?

jsandy
05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
well guys long time without updates but have't really done anything cool to it since tower. installed sub and clean it up a little and just used it. been nice get'n out on the water problem free. now i'm facing the anoyance of the cd player being on the pass side. anyone move there to driver side? if so pics would be awsome.

haugy
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
What will be tons easier is to swap out the stereo (unless your's is compatable) for one that can have a wired remote hooked to it. My stereo was on the left as well. It was a Sony. I went to Crutchfield (may be better places) and got a wired remote that would work with that model. I mounted the controller in the open space above the throttle. Worked great, and was much easier than trying to relocate the stereo. Cut the hole for remote, run the wire, plug it in, done.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I did the same as haugy and it works very well.

jsandy
05-18-2011, 09:34 PM
o i know it would be easier but i love the new malibu's how they have the cd player on the driver side. and i have no problem running a few speaker wires.

jsandy
05-30-2011, 11:08 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra16.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra15.jpg
well thurday after wook i was looking at my boat and just got mad at the big primer spot and faded paint. So i started sanding and bought some paint. And after a late night Thursday and another late night Friday i woke up at 5am Sat morning and painted it befor work. Had to have it done by Sunday and yea it was. So i still want to paint the white area below the rub rail gloss black and the area above the rubrail blue but thats for next week

TitanTn
05-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow. That looks great. What kind of paint did you use? Would love to see more pics, but it's looking good.

jsandy
05-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Sherwin Williams urethane singe stage. I just went into the paint shop and fliped through the blue color chips untill i found what i liked.

jet
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Did you paint it outside??

jsandy
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
yes sir i did, F*C% mother nature! nah just kidding but yes i did. about 6am sat morning not a single piece of trash in it

haugy
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Looks good. Man yall are way back in the creek. I haven't been that far back in a while.

Is that another blue Supra in the background of the water pic?

jsandy
05-31-2011, 04:26 PM
yea thats as far back in shoals as a boat can go. about 2 foot deep on up but makes for a great spot to set and kill a few beers. and yes thats a 88 comp, 94,92 and 96 mastercraft as well as a 92 ski nautique. dont know why but i guess thats were all the old boats go

haugy
05-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Take a canoe trip one day back there. Around that next left turn it gets really shallow, like dry spots shallow. But you can work your way through. About 150 yds past the shallow it gets deep again for a long time. Me and some buds snaked our jet skis up there when it rained and it was bad ass cruising up there where we knew no boat had been.

/hijack.

jsandy
05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
yea me thats called Goose Shoals, me and my dad can get our bass boat back there. it is nice to get out and get away from everyone. and some very good un molested fishing.

jsandy
06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
need a new prop. whats the best for my sunsport? still on the factory but its kinda ruff and i feel its wasting power.

jsandy
06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
well got an offer for 11 grand for my boat today. tempting.

jsandy
06-06-2011, 12:14 AM
also i can but a 1997 moomba outback for cheap. south of 4 grand. what to do?

devovino
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra16.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/thetoystore/supra15.jpg
well thurday after wook i was looking at my boat and just got mad at the big primer spot and faded paint. So i started sanding and bought some paint. And after a late night Thursday and another late night Friday i woke up at 5am Sat morning and painted it befor work. Had to have it done by Sunday and yea it was. So i still want to paint the white area below the rub rail gloss black and the area above the rubrail blue but thats for next week

Sooo just flipping through the forums and noticed your paint job, I think that looks sick! I will have to keep this in mind when I get done with other projects on my Saltare. I bought the boat and price was right, it is the infamous "Baby Blue" removed the stripes, even the old ghost stripes that are now the new "pin stripe" I dont really like the color of. So eventually I would like to change the color scheme, to match the new interior. Black and White, all in good time! ANyways, sweet paint, I will have to remember how easy you made it look, and try it myself! You said you sanded it, how low did you take it to rough it up 600-800, how did you prep it? Well good time, thanks for the pictures, Devon.

stinky_1
06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
deff looking good. I was actually planning to do the exact same thing to mine! You went for the lighter blue over the dark blue original color. I am more partial to the light color, but the dark blue looked good too.

Hopefully its as easy as you made it look when I do it.

Curious to know what grit sandpaper you went with, and roughly how long it took you to clean the hull up before painting? I was hoping for only a few hours prep time. I have some pretty deep gouges in mine though, so I will prolly have to fill them first.

haugy
06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
well got an offer for 11 grand for my boat today. tempting.

That's not bad for that boat. In fact, from what I read your boat needs, that sounds pretty good. I know of a red Sunsport in Missouri that can be had for $11,750 and is in immaculate shape with a stereo. His ad is still listed, don't know if he still has it though.

But if you want a newer one, you'll need more than $11.

Me, I don't do spur of the moment things, so think it through before you pull the trigger.

stinky_1
06-06-2011, 06:12 PM
As soon as I can get my boat sold for anywhere near 10 - 11K I will do it. I want a 92 or newer so I can get the composite stringers. The boat itself works fine, but I dont want rot to deal with

jsandy
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I sanded it down with 400 grit. this is not a job for someone who does'nt know how. it is pretty hard and time consuming. Not to toot my own horn to much but i'm pretty good at this stuff and it took me almost 10 hours of sanding and prep work just to get it ready for paint then another 3 hours of painting. its not easy to say the least.

jsandy
06-06-2011, 10:28 PM
and does anyone know how the wake is on the 97 outback? know thats the ski model but just wondering. and was there any wood in the moombas

jsandy
06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
well decided to keep the Supra just because i love it and cant part with it yet. So i've decided i need a new prop. The one that is on there now is an O.J but its all dinged up so a new ACME is on the way. Actually 2 an ACME 1442 and ACME 1792. Jim is great to work with as he has put up with 3 calls from me and countless questions and is going to send both and let me pic wich i like better

TitanTn
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM
That's good to hear. Let us know what you think about the new prop performance.

jsandy
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
So as we all know i need a trailer something awfull. I've noticed all the 21ft Moombas and Supras now come on a single axle trailer. Would a single axle work for the sunsport if it was rated for the weight? And correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt the 91 sunsport 3400 pounds?

jsandy
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
well cant say enough good things about ACME. Arrived at my door in just two days and was beautifull. The 1442 was the prop for me. gained a few mph's and the blast out of the hole was great. Befor with the OJ the driver had to feather the throttle and really work to give a good pull but now with the ACME it just pulls like a truck nice and steady. Vibration is gone also. So anyone with the gear reduction trans needs the 1442

jsandy
06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
pictures to come as soon as weather is nice. But finally moved my cd player to the driver side (was a pain), painted tower box and installed tower speakers. Made an order from ozinium for some leds too.

haugy
06-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Let's see some pics man.

And yes, your trailer should hold a Sunsport fine. I was just about to buy a Sunsport with a single axle trailer.

jsandy
06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Just scored a Wakeplate from a new Supra 22v so the installation of that will be coming up soon.

TitanTn
07-28-2011, 11:33 PM
We need an update...

jsandy
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM
well the wakeplate install just has'nt happened yet. logged 70 hours so far this season and cant stand to loose a good day of riding to work on it. i did remove the rear grab rail and paint the purple lines black along with the chrome vents to balance it out.

bens250ex
08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
very good build. I have been throwin the idea of painting mine while i have it down for stringers. Any advice? im not to far from you i go to mississippi state. Might have to make a trip over that way when i finish my boat.

jsandy
02-02-2012, 11:04 PM
wow long time away. i'm probly 5 hours or so from starksville, went to a few vols games there.
As for the boat this spring once i get the 51 outa the shop i'm going to install my new, edelbrock intake,pcm exhoust manifolds, perfect pass wakeboard pro,6 kicker speakers and amps, tower speakers, board racks, carpet , and rebuild the sun deck. yea got a little work to do