PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer questions

Ptownkid
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Ok, so the gauges I like come in 35mph, and 6omph. I'm not big fan of the 60mph one because the 20mph tick is almost completely at the bottom of the range. The increments progress in a logarithmic fashion, meaning the distance between 20 and 30 is tiny...

Saltares have dual speedo's, so I was thinking about using one 35mph and one 60mph. Is there any harm to this? What happens if I get over 35mph? That will be a rarity anyway as i think the top speed of the saltare is less than 45mph.

any comments are appreciated.

michael hunter
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I dont see any problem with that . The fastest I go is 34 mph for pulling the wife on a ski. I would rather have the low end easy to read . Not much need to be accurate above 35 any way. If you want to get an accurate reading to calibrate them use a GPS.

mapleleaf
12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree with my Micheal, best speedo upgrade this past summer for me was replacing my pitot's with the newer style flip up ones from DIM.....

Ptownkid
12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I agree with my Micheal

He belongs to you?

Anyway, the real issue here is...will i hurt the 35mph gauge by going over 35mph?

mapleleaf
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
He belongs to you?

Anyway, the real issue here is...will i hurt the 35mph gauge by going over 35mph?

that's what happen's when I am listening to my better half and responding here!!!lol
Notsure about the speedo damage......

sybrmike
12-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I was gonna do the same until I stumbled upon some NOS Moomba (gasp!) speedos. I don't think you'll hurt the 35 speedo by pegging it by 5 mph or so occasionally. These aren't jeweled swiss timepieces & you won't be pushing them much over max or very often.

cadunkle
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I agree with my Micheal, best speedo upgrade this past summer for me was replacing my pitot's with the newer style flip up ones from DIM.....

What are these? My pitot speedos give me all sorts of trouble on the dirty Delaware. Get clogged often and either react slow or not at all. Thinking maybe PP for this coming season but if I can find a reliable speedo I'd prefer to save the money.

Ptownkid
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
These are the ones

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

they are a better design and less likely to clog than most of the other available pitot's

jet
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I have done a similar thread on this before. What do yall think about pulling the original speedo's and adding a gps?? i would need to waterproof it some how?? Jet

Ptownkid
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Personally, I think GPS speedos are overkill and a waste of money. Spend your money somewhere else.