PDA

View Full Version : Built in Cooler Insulation

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Who has added more insulation to the in-boat coolers and how did you do it? Was there a big difference and was it worth doing?

wotan2525
12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't have the exact answer that you're looking for since I built my cooler in the rear ski locker (instead of modifying an existing cooler.) But... I lined it with the densest foam insulation that Home Depot sold. Just cut it to the right size and used liquid nails to glue it down. After that I coated it with 2 layers of resin, 1 layer of matte and another layer of resin with a final coat of epoxy paint.

It can keep beer and ice cold all day long.

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
That seems like a good idea. Just foaming the outside like some people have suggested doesnt seem like enough. Similiar to those cheap foam gas station ice chest vs a plastic coated real ice chest....hmmmm

iwakeboard
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I haven't had any issues with the large side cooler but the one above the V-Drive melts in what seems like minutes, not sure if there is a good way to insulate that particular cooler.

KG's Supra24
12-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I am def not worried about that cooler Iwakeboard. Wasted time worrying about that. I just put my tsunami in there so it doesn't drip on carpet.

The side one isn't terrible if packed really well but I still end up with alot of water on long summer days.

KY Steve
12-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I bought a couple of cheap foam coolers, cut them up and glued them to the outsides of the ice melter. Seems to hold the ice a little better and was not that big of a deal to take everything apart and put back together.

Sorry, but I didnt take pics during that mod.

jonyb
12-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds like Steve has the best idea so far. Easiest at least.

Blackntan90
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
What about a can or 2 of sprayfoam? You can trim the excess with a hand saw, if you want to remove the cooler later. Mine is an old-school stand alone cooler that came with the boat, so I can't relate.