PDA

View Full Version : Weight set-up on Comps??

jet
12-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Not getting any responces from others that I need so Iam putting this out there before I start my auto-ballast system.

Ran most often:
400lbs front (nose)
700lbs rear empty floor.= 1100 (OK wake)

slammed:
400 front
700 rear
300ea side eng=1700 lbs (great wake) but FLOOR IS FULL!!

I want to see other combos your running like weight up front?? Anybody?? Doesnt have to be slammed with weight for you to pipe in, lets just help each other out for more ideas and other set-ups. Thank Jet

mapleleaf
12-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Jet, blown most of my boat budget the past two yrs bringing this girl back to life. If there any thing left next spring, I'll be looking for a 250 sac for the walkthrough ski locker and another 450 to go with the two that I keep in the back.
I experimented with 300+ in the bow this summer and in my open bow it was too much! I'll be following you're auto set up closely as I would love to have the pumps and tubing in place for quick setup or just cuz who doesn't want their ballast system to be built in????

dusty2221
12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Jet, youre the only fool crazy enough to weight a comp like that.

jet
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Ha..ha....

cmtaylor777
12-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Don't get too excited, waiting on people to respond to this question. I asked the same one and got nothing.

Good luck NGear.

mapleleaf
12-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I',m pretty sure I played the 60/40 rule as well, or even more like 70% rear 30 front..... Only really had my boat slammed for the first this summer over a long weekend and the most weight we had up front was 330 with another 900 mid/rear and the wake was the best I've seen it, but 330 forward was clearly too much. What I found was the best all round was 250lb in the walk through,450 on either side of the engine and another estimated 400-500 in the rear locker and rear bench..
Good for driving, good wake, but we were still moving bodies around a bunch to clean up the port side wake. I've found the wake with that weight my fav when wakeskating, still a little on the small side for boarding and have yet to dial in the elusive comp boat surf wave ( I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist, or I need a longer board!)

jet
12-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah thats a tough one. Not going to happen. We couldnt even get Chads 21' with 1000-1500lbs to dial in on the drivers side. You can do it you just wont be able to let go of the rope. Thanks for your input. Man thats a lot of bags. lol

mapleleaf
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
ha bags???? the rear bench and rear locker were full of whatever I could put water in!!! Mainly rubbermaid bins, what a freakin mess!!!!

cmtaylor777
12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah thats a tough one. Not going to happen. We couldnt even get Chads 21' with 1000-1500lbs to dial in on the drivers side. You can do it you just wont be able to let go of the rope. Thanks for your input. Man thats a lot of bags. lol

hey hey hey! We surfed it just fine without the handle. Just because you are more comfortable hanging on to the rope, doesn't mean we didn't get a good enough wave. Me and dusty surfed just fine.
I think I will have it dailed in pretty good next year. Switching the prop should help and I think we need to move the 400 from the front to the back. I just think the comp boats don't like as much up front as the V-drives.

And mine is a 22'. Jet, you are just like my wife...always shorting me on my inches.

jet
12-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Ha..ha..ha..

87SunSportMikeyD
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Ouch! Wow! LOL

Pair that one liner up with your signature and you're got a ROFL!

87SunSportMikeyD
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Well with the Supra Comp/Conbrio or even the SunSport there really isn't a huge wake following like there is with the SN2001. But that is starting to change, thanks to our forum. I wish I could see a model of the SN2001 hull and the Comp/SunSport hull(s) to compare.

The consensus on the SN2001 seems (to me at least) to be in the 1500-2000lb range for rear/around engine and 50-200 in the bow. The boat has a fairly flat bow with a shallow nose vee.

SunSports take about 12-1400 in back and 6-800 up front when weighted to the max. They have a much deeper vee in the nose and benefit from bow weighting.

I would imagine the Comp/Conbrio would be more similar to the SN2001's weighting.

stinky_1
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
the SN2001 hull is much shallower than the Sunsports. I think the biggest difference though is that hook at the back in the middle of the 2001. CC carried that hook all the way into the 2000's when they added the hydro gate. Until then though the Air Nautique had a variation of that hook.

I had a pre-2001 Nautique the last couple years and the wake was great with no weight at all. Adding just 600 lbs in between the back seat and motor cover made the wake have a lot more meat to it. The best we got was about 1200 in the rear and another 350 in the front behind the spotter seat.

I dont know how the Sunsport is yet since I have not weighted it down.

Not sure why your selling these boats short though? I thought almost anyone who was into this sport and on a budget had seen this all ready

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/budget_graph_smaller.jpg

It comes from here

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2006/06/budget_wake_boat_breakdown_gra.html

This was the ONLY reason I even started to consider the supra. It wasnt until I need an open bow for more space that I went back and looked at the report, then started looking for the sunsport or a Sunsetter to pick up. I liked the sunsetter, but something about the shape of the supra really caught my eye.

Now that this thread is completly hijacked though. Hopefully you can find some better answers. One thing this thread really needs is for pics of the bags in the boat, and the wake it makes. The people can have a much better idea what they want to do. It may be the wrong season for that though. Wait a couple months.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about stinky. The OP asked how to weight a Comp. I compared the hull and weighting technique of a Comp to a SN2001 which is an established wakeboard boat with an established method of weighting. In no way did I 'sell that boat (the SN2001) short'. It is the most popular wakeboard boat ever, which is also what I posted above. Yes I have seen the buget wakeboard thread many times. I have posted in the thread, in fact. It's how we all came to buy SunSports.

The OP was looking for specific weighting techniques and that's what I posted. I dont feel I hijacked the thread. I tried to make my post as clear as possible, not sure what is confusing. I wasn't even comparing the SN2001 to the SunSport - I was comparing the SN2001 with the Comp, and then someone posted asking "Why dont you use more bow weight?" so I replied saying that the SUnSport is weighted totally different due to the deep vee bow. Peace

stinky_1
12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Well with the Supra Comp/Conbrio or even the SunSport there really isn't a huge wake following like there is with the SN2001.

Bold and size difference added to highlight what I am talking about, and clear up where my post was headed.

Also I was talking about selling the supra's short not the 2001

And I was saying that "I" was knowingly hijacking the thread with MY post about the budget wakeboat, and then followed that up with my 2 cents about weighting the comps/conbrio's up. I do not have any experience with either of those boats so I was simply saying that to achieve the same status as the 2001's we need to properly document the weighting of those boats. The best way I feel to document that would be with pictures of the sacs in the boat so people can see how much space they take up, or where they are hidden, and then some good clean hi res shots of what the wake looks like with that bag setup.

I think if we do that with even the sunsports it will let others know exactly what they need to get the results they want.

I wish I could offer some concrete help for you guys, but I only have experience with my nautique. I would expect the weighting to be similar. And it is prolly a good place to start if nothing else. Without pics though this thread will be lost into the internets with all the other threads like it. Get some pics in here and I bet it gets stickied and linked to from any other site asking about weighting these boats down.

Hopefully you didnt take any offence to my post, none was meant. I was certain you had seen that wakeboat thread, but figured I would offer it anyway for anyone else who was browsing through the forum.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Hah okay stinky we are cool. :cool: :cool:

The SN2001 is just such a well-known and popular wake-boat that it seems like there is there is a consensus best-way to weight that boat. I was trying to say that no one here (even the owners) are REALLY sure of the best possible weight setup for the different Supra models. And the Comp/SunSport/Salt all take different weight setups.

I guess I was trying to say that the Comp is likely weighted more like the SN2001 than the SunSport.

stinky_1
12-21-2010, 06:59 PM
I would agree that the weighting should start to be setup similar to the SN2001, then fine tune from there.

The other boats will be different as well. Once the summer hits up here I will play with my sacs a bit and see what I can come up with, and take pics. Even if I dont ride with it like that you can at least show what a 50/50 split looks like inside the boat and what the wake looks like. Then show a 60/40 and a 40/60 split and the resulting wake. After the pics are up for each hull we can better document what is the starting point for each boat.

Its too bad the post was started in the winter, we will all have a few months to sut and talk about it but no way to sort it all out.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I have done many experiments in my SunSport, lets get a thread goin for that if ya want to hash it out. ;) I run 50front/60back in my SunSport, approx 800 front, 1000 in rear. The SunSport has crazy awesome spots to hide sacs too, if you are into that. I run zero floor sacs unless surfing and the open bow storage is huge and still mostly open for storage too!

DAFF
12-22-2010, 01:59 AM
With all this talk about sack weights got me thinking. Perhaps one of the Sunsports secrets of great wakes is the saturated foam plus the sacks. I am sure water in the foam is good for 300-500 lbs too !!!

I think a general schematic of weight distribution and a quick video or pic would help out. Basically how many hull designs did Supra have to date. 5-6 right ??

The weight distribution breakdown from front to rear generally does what to the wake?? My thought is as the front weight increases the wake will become longer and less of a arc to the top. Less weight making the wake pop more but less wavelength.

stinky_1
12-22-2010, 02:32 AM
dont forget a 3rd factor which is speed, and the 4th factor which is prop shape, pitch and number of blades. That will affect surfing wake shape more than the wakeboarding shape I think though.

I am a pretty visual guy. I found a thread that has pages and pages of pics of guys running their IO boats with sacs all over the floor. They had pics of the sacs inside, and the wake outside and a breakdown of what weight was where. It helped a ton for us to setup my sisters IO boat with her sacs.

Part of the reason the Sunsport can get such a better wake is just how much higher the sides of the boat are. So we can get that much more weight in the back without sinking the thing. My Nautique suffered the same problem. Once you got a lot of weight in the back it just would come right over the back end.

Once this thread turns into something useful someone will need to go through and take out all this useless jabber I am doing though. Nothing is more annoying than looking for valuable information and having to read through a bunch of crap with nothing actually useful in it. Which is where the pics are handy. You can scroll through, find the pics of the wake you like, and then mimic what their setup is.

It may be useful to come up with some sort of standard form for what information we want as well. Such as

Boat Year:
Hull Type:
Length:
Prop size, and number of blades:
Engine Size:
Speed of boat for wake shots:
GPS Verified (Y/N):
Total Weight:
Weight in front of engine Including passengers and/or driver:
Weight beside engine Including passengers:
Weight in rear of engine Including passengers:

Then load the rest up with pics of everything you can see inside the boat and outside the boat.

If we keep the info standard like that it will make it very very easy to sort through and do what we need to do.

I am willing to spend a day with my sunsport and my sacs to take some shots. It will have to wait till at least May though. Our lakes are usually frozen until at least the first week in may.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Awesome to see you commenting so much stinky we need more power posters. :p

Generally speaking, bow weight makes the wave more rampy, which means the shape of the wake is like a flat incline. Rear weight makes the wake more steep, or more like a surf wave shape.

Rear weight also establishes the overall size of the wake; as the boat travels and water is displaced, sinking the rear of the boat more means the water will rebound higher to make a taller wake.

Yes you can weight the SunSports more because of the higher freeboard, but the hull shape is significantly different than the SN2001. Going back to the Comp again, if you were comparing to SN2001 and the weight in both boats is equal I wonder how close to the SN2001 it would be in terms of wake and drivability. Yes the Comp looks similar to the SN2001 but (sorry guys) there is a reason it's not known as a wake-monster like the SN2001...

jet
12-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I have that already on my laptop at home. I did vid's for 1000lbs, 1200lbs,1400lbs and then 1700. My 1700 lb vid was also a instructional on how to drive a comp with 1700 lbs in it. I will post it when I get home. Jet

stinky_1
12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
That would be awesome jet if you can post those up. We could also maybe grab some stills of the vid too so we have pictures too?

Does anyone else have any information they would like added to the form I posted above? And what do you guys think of using that? If you can see the value in it then we should maybe polish it up and make it do what we want it to. Jets vids would be a great place to start.

As for the SN2001 having such a following, I think it is largely in part to do with the existence of CCfan. They are all pretty much "fan boys" (for lack of a better term, and used with tons of respect) towards their maker of choice. CC has been around a long long time, and they had a name for being a top manufacturer for a long time. True the wake is good behind those boats, but being a popular builder helps a LOT.

I would bet you a conbrio weighted up the same as a SN2001 would be very very similar wakes. My pre SN2001 boat had a fine wake with no weight at all, and a great wake with 1500 lbs in it. Ill see if I can dig up some pics of the wake to show you guys, and some of the hull