PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol in Marine Engines

96Comp
12-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Seems we cannot get any gas without at least 10% ethanol. What are you doing to combat ethanol's propensity to absorb water. I run stabil or other marine fuel treatment with each fill up. Are there any other long term issues with ethanol? Are you doing anything different to preserve the fuel quality and fuel system?

Fman
12-17-2010, 01:19 AM
I add fuel cleaner (Lucas) every other fill up during the season. I have heard this is even more important for winterization because the ethanol will clog your fuel system up over the winter. I start adding Marine sta-bil fuel additive in September to make sure its completely mixed into the entire fuel system by late fall.

Other than this, dont think you can do much more.

csuggs
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I use Marine Sta-Bil with every fill-up all year 'round and fogging oil when winterizing. Fires right up in the spring!

michael hunter
12-17-2010, 09:40 AM
I have never added anything other than Stabil or Seafoam for winterizing and never had a problem. I cant see any problem with additives year round good insurance I guess?

beast 496
12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Fuel injected engines have alot less problems running ethonal than carbed engines. One issue EFI has, the fuel system needs a boost pump to supply the hi pressure pump. This has been know for quite awhile now. Carbs and mechanical fuel pumps need updated rubber parts. Clean the carbs once a year and all will be good. The longer we run the ethonal the less it will be a problem. After a couple seasons the fuel tank will be very clean. Oh remember to change your fuel filters every year also. Al

Okie Boarder
12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Star-tron is pretty good too.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/STR-93008_med.jpg

SupraTamu
12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I was told by the dealership that they were having a lot of issues with the ethanol gas and to run sta-bil or another additive with each fill up. They also said to replace your fuel filter more often.

cadunkle
12-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Stabil over winter when storing. So long as your tank isn't fiberglass (no Supras I've heard of) then no biggie. Might not be a bad idea to keep a spare fuel filter though. You will have to jet your carb richer to keep the same air/fuel ratio with E10, but it's sucha slight difference it's not usually too noticeable. Unless you have a lean surge or stumble of accelration you don't need to worry about jetting or accelerator pumps.

Fman
12-19-2010, 01:39 AM
I could be mistaken, but I believe California is much worse for ethanol fuel blends than other states because of the strict emissions.

Does anyone know about this being true? I have been told by some this was the case, just not sure how valid it is.

TitanTn
12-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I use Marine Sta-Bil with every fill-up all year 'round and fogging oil when winterizing. Fires right up in the spring!

Curious... How does Sta-Bil combat ethanol?

pdhj1990
12-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Although I own a Tige 24v, I follow most of the Wakeboard Boat forums. Here's a good thread on Ethanol issues and storing a boat in the winter:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/storing-boat-t3922.html&st=40

I hope this helps :D

Paul

TitanTn
12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
That's very helpful Paul. Thanks. If I read everything in that post, they're mainly talking about storing a boat with ethanol fuel. I'm more curious about running a boat with ethanol fuel. Are there real concerns to running an older boat on gas with 10% ethanol, or are the fears just old wife's tales?

cadunkle
12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Seriously, don't sweat it. All my boats have been old. '89, '91 and '89. All carbed. These engines are no different than what's in your car and the same concerns apply. Basically fuel filters, old rubber lines, jetting. It's seriously not a big deal. Personally on the automotice front I can't wait until E85 is available locally. 110 octane IIRC. I'll be building myself a nasty high compression big block for my car. Ethanol isn't that big a deal. At 10% you're talking minor changes in jetting at most and no big concerns about fuel lines or gaskets unless they're old and cracked and need replacing anyway.

csuggs
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Curious... How does Sta-Bil combat ethanol?

Titan - regular Sta-Bil product does not fight against ethanol, you have to get the marine formula.

Marine Formula STA-BIL
•America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
•BEST Ethanol Problem Fighter
•More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
•DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
•Prevents corrosion from moisture & ethanol-induced water attraction
•Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

TitanTn
12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
That would explain it. Thanks!

Fman
12-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Seriously, don't sweat it. All my boats have been old. '89, '91 and '89. All carbed. These engines are no different than what's in your car and the same concerns apply. Basically fuel filters, old rubber lines, jetting. It's seriously not a big deal. Personally on the automotice front I can't wait until E85 is available locally. 110 octane IIRC. I'll be building myself a nasty high compression big block for my car. Ethanol isn't that big a deal. At 10% you're talking minor changes in jetting at most and no big concerns about fuel lines or gaskets unless they're old and cracked and need replacing anyway.

Ethanol is usually only a problem when a vehicle/boat sits for an extended period of time (ie: winterization). Adding the Marine Sta-bil is a must for winterization, well worth the $10 investment. As others mentioned, changing your fuel filter at the beginning of every season is a good idea.