PDA

View Full Version : 91 sunsport steering issue

jsandy
12-18-2010, 11:54 PM
so my new to me sunsport steering does'nt work. assume its the cable as the steering wheel does turn a little but one an inch or two. so where do i find one of these?

edgewater1
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
skidim.com or browse the local shops

mapleleaf
12-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Call Vince at Ski DIM, he'll get you the right cable.....really easy swap out...

stinky_1
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
After I brought my boat out of storage one year the cable was really really stiff. It had basically seized up. If you dont need the boat for the next month or so I would try grabbing that wheel as tight as you can and giving it a sharp turn in one direction or the other.

If your willing to buy a new cable anyway you will either break the cable, or free it up. If you free it up you will have bought yourself a little more time with it. I used mine for 2 more years like that and it was still going strong after putting it into storage.

Make sure there is nothing blocking your rudder before you do that though.

Please just understand the risks by taking this advice. Something will break, or the whole thing will free up.

jsandy
12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
well i went the way of stinky and just maned up on it a little and BAM......it worked and steers feels kinda grainy but hey a doller saved is a doller earned. there anyway to lube these?

stinky_1
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I know on the rudder end of things the cable will be hanging out really far when you turn it all the way one direction. You can lube that, then turn it the other way to suck the lube into the cable jacket.

I cant say on the other end by the wheel. i think it is sealed up there and not sure if you could lube it.

Glad it worked for you. This happens when they get moist and sit for a bit

87SunSportMikeyD
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes I have posted the instructions on how to lube steering cable a few times, do a search for "zerk" and they will turn up.

GO to auto store and get can of marine grease and a grease gun. Zerk is a name for grease gun fittings. There are large and small. Your gun should come with a few of both. On your rudder there should be a couple. SOmetimes they are in different places so look around. Grease it up then turn wheel back and forth. Extra will squirt out zerks. Wipe it up or your bilge will get allllllll nasty w/ grease. Easy job.