PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Size?

SupraTamu
12-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I have bought a lot and am beginning to work on the architectural plans of the house. I have a 2008 24 Gravit Games Edition boat which has the tower. I wiill implement a tandem garage that is 32' deep but want to make sure I have a tall enough garage door so that I do not have to take the tower down. Has anybody out there know how tall the door should be? I am thinking 14' tall would be more than enough. If you have any pictures of your garage with this scenario please post. My girlfrined thinks I am craziy to be designing a house arond the boat but I am tired of paying for a storage unit.

Sluggo
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
My 2005 22 SSV GG sits just over 10' when on level ground. Therefore, when I pull it around I never go anywhere with less than 11' clearance. Given I have a standard height garage, I really have to lower the front end just to get in with a colapsed tower. So keep in mind that depending on the slope leading up to the garage, you might need more or less clearance. Also keep in mind what standard overhead door heights are so you can minimize cost. I would think 14' is great, but you could probably get away with a 12' door. Our course, I would get the ladder and tape out just to make sure even if all us said a certain height works. It would figure that I had the one boat that SC made with a one off tower that was 6 inches higher than anyone elses, lol.

tg0824SSVGG
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Tamu - I don't think you are nuts at all. I have the same boat, and wonder the same
thing, as I will be building a garage in the next year or so.

I have the Airsling on top - which adds even more height ---

Don't forget we have a taller-than-the-average-Supra-trailer with our Gravity Games
boats ... I think it's at least 6" higher with those damn "bling wheels".

Let me know what you find out. (I was also thinking 14 feet BETTER be tall enough!

SupraTamu
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I will measure it over the holiday. Sluggo brought up a good point about any grade (slope) to make sure it is factured in. I will measure the storage unit door I currently have I know the door is 10' wide but I think the door is 14' tall it may be 16'. The 10' wide door leaves me about 4" on each side due to the guide poles on the trailer. I will let you know what I find out.

michael hunter
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
A 12' door will be fine unless you get into RVs or cruisers then go with the 14' it should accommodate all.

Diggs
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
12' o r14' would certainly be overkill, but overkill is not a bad thing. Depending on the architecture and how it all looks you could get away with 11' for sure and have about 6" to spare probably, but it is always good to go higher so you can do other toys down the road. Motorhome, Trailer, etc. That is if it looks good with the design of the new house.

Fman
12-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I have bought a lot and am beginning to work on the architectural plans of the house. I have a 2008 24 Gravit Games Edition boat which has the tower. I wiill implement a tandem garage that is 32' deep but want to make sure I have a tall enough garage door so that I do not have to take the tower down. Has anybody out there know how tall the door should be? I am thinking 14' tall would be more than enough. If you have any pictures of your garage with this scenario please post. My girlfrined thinks I am craziy to be designing a house arond the boat but I am tired of paying for a storage unit.

Smart move, 14' might even clear an RV if you ever wanted to put one in the garage at some point in your life. Having your boat stored indoors at your own house is the only way to fly. Unfortunately I have to drop the tower down every time I put the boat in the garage.

The only better thing than having a 14' garage door with a 32' deep garage would be to make it a drive thru so you dont even have to back it up!

tg0824SSVGG
12-23-2010, 07:54 AM
... and make it 65 feet long, so you don't even have to unhook! ;o)

Okie Boarder
12-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I would say lean more towards the 14' height if you can make it look right on the house. Also, I would second the idea of making it a pull through and/ or making it long enough you wouldn't even have to unhook if you didn't want to.

Fman
12-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Now your talkin! If your going to do it, mind as well go big. Once its in, there is no going back.

stinky_1
12-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I can see it now. The middle of the house will be a 100' long garage with a 16' tall door that is 20' wide. Then the house will be built around the whole thing.

Saddly, my wife has been talking about building a drive through garage on our property as well. Going in from the street and going out to the back alley. And long enough and tall enough to fit a boat and a motorhome.

Show us some pics once its all done and the boat is inside there. It will be neat to see what you come up with

tg0824SSVGG
12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow Stinky, sounds like your wife is a KEEPER!!!

stinky_1
12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
oh yeah, I dont think I could get rid of her if I tried.:cool:

03bamaGT
12-24-2010, 03:27 AM

That's how we put my GF's dad's boat in...his 22' bass boat and Avalanche share the same parking spot :D. Five car basement garage.

Sadly...mine's only 35ish feet and my trailer doesn't have a swing away so it get's kinda tight with all of my tools, motorcycles, and car parts.

Something to keep in mind, any time you go over 9-10' on a garage door price tends to go up quite a bit.

jaywidhalm
12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I have an 08 22 V Sunsport. I have a 10 ft door on my shop, and once adjusted to open all the way, the top tower light brushes the rubber skirting around the door when I pull it out! Couldn't get much closer than that. So, 11 or 12 ft would be more than enough for sure. Like everyone else said though, if 14 ft would look ok, I am sure you wouldn't regret it!

KY Steve
12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
The anchor light on top the tower of my 24 rubs in a 10' tall door. I say 12' min, we have 15'.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/toolsail/Launch24/Joels_email.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/toolsail/Launch24/Joels_Inside_email.jpg

haugy
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I have a 12' door and a 10' door for my Mariah with a tower. Both clear just fine, but the newer boats are much taller. Minimum 12'. If you can do 14', do it. I couldn't get away with 14' in my city. Would have really made it easier to sell the house to an RV'r or boater both.

Okie Boarder
12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
haugy,

That garage came out really nice. I bet you love having a sheltered spot to park your baby.