PDA

View Full Version : Engine and propshaft alignment

Dennis Avery
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi,
restoring a 1989 supra t6sm comp clasic ski boat I know the prop shaft
bent and have taken the motor out and going to reinstall next spring. Any way to get the prop shaft close and do a proper motor alignement ?
Also need more pitch on the prop runing a 13X13 right hand wheel .
And I am looking for more prop .Anyone have anything they want to sell?
Would like to add at least 2 more inches pitch.

michael hunter
12-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I dont understand the question ? The prop shaft cannot be aligned untill the engine is reinstalled.

docdrs
12-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I am assuming you are trying to set the strut..... you could eyeball it so that it is in the center of the the thru hull exit , but like mike says its best to do this when the motor and tranny are in the boat so you have a second stabilization point.....also you want the shaft offset to one side of the rudder so it can be removed without removing the rudder

jet
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Dennis. WE LIKE PICTURES!! Check out my mod link below for prop and other ideas and help. Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
These guys are a great help with engine/trans/drive shaft type issues. Good luck! You should be on the lookout for an 11.5x13 3 blade. Most Supras are left-hand rotation but be sure to verify. Here is a great place to shop for used props and other items http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Propeller

Dennis Avery
12-25-2010, 07:52 AM
I dont understand the question ? The prop shaft cannot be aligned untill the engine is reinstalled.

Yea I know I should have been clearer when i go to put it all back together and have the motor in is there any special way to align, or just get it some where near so the coulper lines up nice.
Going to need a new prop shaft and the prop i have is 13x13 right hand someone said supras are all left hand .

DAFF
12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Did you pull the engine for Stringer work??? If not I hope you didn't remove the stainless lag bolts holding the engine mounts to the stringer. By doing this the wood holding the treads will be disturbed and almost unuseable.

My guess is that you want to hook up the engine to plum all the wiring and hoses. By using the old marks on the engine mounts it should be close. Snap a few picks and that can help us out in guiding you through the process...

Okie Boarder
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
The key will be to get the engine set back in place as close to where it was, then make adjustments from there. The engine mounts are fully adjustable up and down as well as side to side.

Then you follow the alignment procedure to line it up more precise from there. The ideal situation is the couplers of the transmission and prop shaft line up 100% true to each other just pushing them together. Check out the sticky for alignment on here.

ronts6m
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I replaced the stringers and flooring on my 1990 TS6m this past off season and after several attempts to perfectly align my shaft to the tranny I was still getting slight vibration when throttle opened up. I am looking at the R & D Flexible Coupling as a means of reducing or eliminating that issue. Has anyone installed one and have you noticed any difference. For 150.00 I figure that it could not hurt.

Ron