PDA

View Full Version : 2003 launch SS problems

sbeck7
11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I have a 2003 launch SS with less than 75 hours on it. The bilge pump and front ballast pump quit working this past summer. The Cd player has been screwed since I bought the boat. It seems to work about half the time. Has anyone else had as many problems as me or the same ones? Also when I have the boat full of people and the tanks filled and I punch the throttle it roughly vibrates for a few seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks Wakeboarder in Northern Oklahoma

silvtongdvl
11-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Do you mean to say the vibration doesn't happen when its a couple people and the tanks are empty?????

The bilge pumps from my understanding - they got in a bad patch. The ballast pump is just another type bilge pump - they can go out anytime. The radio???? Is it a Kenwood???

Scott

sbeck7
11-05-2004, 04:50 AM
The vibration only happens when it is weighted down. not the slightest problem when its light.!!! So the bilge and ballast are that undependable? Yeah the CD player is a Kenwood.

silvtongdvl
11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Supra doesn't make bilge or ballast pumps - they buy them. As for the vibration - I would look at your prop. If its a 3 blade - you may want to either upgrade to the cnc 3 blades or a 4 blade. Yours (3 or 4 blade) may have a slight out of balance - you don't feel it until it has to work hard.
As far as the cd player - see if you can find a stereo shop that warrenties Kenwood equipment if the boat dealer can't help.
P.S. I don't work for Supra(skiers choice) - I am another owner that happens to be an avid boater. I am also lucky to have very good dealer support.
Scott

DrewT
11-05-2004, 05:17 PM
I have a 2001 SS and it vibrates out of the hole when loaded up. I read somewhere, one of the magazine reviews, that the vibration occured on their test boat too. One day I am going to get another prop and see if that makes a diffierence.
The other stuff should be easy to fix. I havent had any electrical problems at all. i hope I didnt just jink myself by saying that.

kevbo5566
04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but since I have questions on the same 2003 Launch SS I figured I would post to this thread.

Does anyone know what type or where to find a replacement inline exhaust ballast pump for the bow? I had issues with the pump not draining the bow ballast last year, and wanted to replace it prior to this season.

Zim
04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but since I have questions on the same 2003 Launch SS I figured I would post to this thread.

Does anyone know what type or where to find a replacement inline exhaust ballast pump for the bow? I had issues with the pump not draining the bow ballast last year, and wanted to replace it prior to this season.

I've replaced my ballast pumps with the attwood 800gph pumps on amazon. They even fit in the same brackets as the stock pumps that came with the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corporation-Aerator-Tsunami-800Gph/dp/B001O0D6KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397672532&sr=8-1&keywords=attwood+800gph

$30 bucks for the 800gph, you could get even more and empty that ballast real fast. My boats a 2006 and they work fine, no problems at all.

kevbo5566
06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I attempted to replace my ballast pump with the Attwood pump from Amazon you reccomended Mike, but it appears that I'm not getting any power to the pump. The light on the switch is on, but I tested the electricity at the wire ends to the pump and I'm not getting any juice. Does this indicate that there's a break in the wire somewhere between the switch and the pump?

Related to previous posts in this thread, I believe my Kenwood stereo just bit the dust. I'm looking for a direct swap to minimize repair efforts and maximize on the water time. Any suggestions here? The previous owner added 2 amps, tower speakers, and a sub, but the stereo is stock. Does anyone know what model Kenwood stereo is stock in the 2003 Supra Launch SS? My boat's currently 200 miles away at the lake house.

Thanks,

Kevin

Zim
06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
For your ballast issue... did you check the fuses for the pumps to make sure those are good? If those are good, you'll want to get a voltmeter out and test areas to see where your problem is. Test the power at the plug of the ballast pump, test before the fuse at the fuse box, after, etc.

As for your stereo, does it look like this? KTS-300MR if so.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/assets/ProductImages/Kenwood_KTS-300MR.jpg