PDA

View Full Version : 87 supra saltare- make over rip off??

Rusty
12-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Hello.

I have an 87 supra saltare that I would like to have the following work done to. I got a bid from a vinyl repair guy and I want to know if he is high or reasonable. I live in Dallas, TX.

The following work:

-install new floor
-replace stringers
-new carpet
-replace/rebuild all boxes and rotted wood
-revinyl entire interior

His cost $8000.00

I'm inexperienced with the cost of this type of work and would appreciate any help. Thanks gentleman.

michael hunter
12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
He doesn't seem out of line to me. The floor and stringers alone would cost 5k. Depending on what condition the boxes are in and the quality of the materials that's about right.

dusty2221
12-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Mani had his done up here in sherman, I don't remember the company name, but you might get in touch with him and find out. Seems like he was very pleased.

DAFF
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
If they were going to pull the cap and gut the stringer system and totally rebuild the whole boat I'd say that is a ball park price. Remember this is not a 2-3 day project. It will add up the man hours fast !! Try to see some other work they have done and look for quality and any corner cutting. Ask about materials in the stringer replacement and samples of the new vinyl.

Keep in mind many re vinyl shops will just recover the old stuff and not seal up the ply wood frame. They want you to come back in 4-5 years for more work.... Also there are many different qualitys of vinyl products. Look for its thickness !!!! Some are as thin as tisue paper, but very cheap!!!

Rusty
12-25-2010, 12:22 PM
If they were going to pull the cap and gut the stringer system and totally rebuild the whole boat I'd say that is a ball park price. Remember this is not a 2-3 day project. It will add up the man hours fast !! Try to see some other work they have done and look for quality and any corner cutting. Ask about materials in the stringer replacement and samples of the new vinyl.

Keep in mind many re vinyl shops will just recover the old stuff and not seal up the ply wood frame. They want you to come back in 4-5 years for more work.... Also there are many different qualitys of vinyl products. Look for its thickness !!!! Some are as thin as tisue paper, but very cheap!!!

Hey daff! Thanks for the reply...just a few questions. What is a cap? What kind of material should he be using for the stringers and floor? How do they seal the ply wood frame? I am going to be a pain in the ass to this guy going down to his shop every week to check progress. He's revinyled the captain chair before, it's good quality. The only hesitation I have is that when I asked him if he's done floors before, he said "from time to time" and we could cut corners to make the job cheaper in price- made me nervous. My boat mechanic swears he's good- I'm having the motor pulled and painted, while vinyl guy does the work. I think I'll wait...i which I knew of a reputable place in Dallas, Tx.

Rusty
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Mani had his done up here in sherman, I don't remember the company name, but you might get in touch with him and find out. Seems like he was very pleased.

Hey dusty. How do I get in touch with Mani? Thanks.

Merry Christmas!!

DAFF
12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey daff! Thanks for the reply...just a few questions. What is a cap? What kind of material should he be using for the stringers and floor? How do they seal the ply wood frame? I am going to be a pain in the ass to this guy going down to his shop every week to check progress. He's revinyled the captain chair before, it's good quality. The only hesitation I have is that when I asked him if he's done floors before, he said "from time to time" and we could cut corners to make the job cheaper in price- made me nervous. My boat mechanic swears he's good- I'm having the motor pulled and painted, while vinyl guy does the work. I think I'll wait...i which I knew of a reputable place in Dallas, Tx.

CAP = Top portion of the boat.. Usually srewed and rivited along the rub rail. Most extensive restorations will remove the cap. You can cheat by not removing the cap and removing the foam and rotten stringer wood members. This is only a partial fix or patch untill you do a full resto.

Stringer material can be plywood or firs/ specialty woods. Do some reading on some restos to get a better feel of what is intailed in a full resto. This way you will get the best bang for your buck.

A floor can be patched very quickly and will make everything seem good but the rot is still there and growing !!!

jet
12-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Rusty..DIY it! Do the floor yourself, there is plenty of info and pictures on here and 2500 guys to help out with any questions. Have the interior done ($2000) by him and pocket that leftover $6000. "You can do it" Happy Gilmore reference..lol. Jet

Rusty
12-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Dude. Thanks for the encouragement jet! I'd love to do it myself..the only prob is I don't have have to room at my house to park this big girl. Also, I dont really have that kind of time, cus I wanna be out on the water come April...I also wanted to tackle a new paint job and sound system.

Okie Boarder
12-27-2010, 11:40 AM
That seems like a pretty good price if it is a full restoration. Talk to the guy about removing the top cap (upper hull). That is the only right way to do the Supras. Then, like others said, find out more about what he would do like wood type, any treatment processes, type of resin and glass being used, etc.

dusty2221
12-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey dusty. How do I get in touch with Mani? Thanks.

Merry Christmas!!

Here ya go Rusty, here is his profile. You can email him or send a pm I think.

https://forum.supraboats.com/member.php?u=7617

sybrmike
12-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I'd say that's in the ballpark. I had quotes from 4-6k for complete new stringers & floor, so I did it myself (~2.5k). I've also been quoted 2.5-3.5k for complete new interior. I'm gonna lay my own carpet, build my own frames & then have a pro upholsterer finish it up. Looking at 2k for all new vinyl, foam, & labor. Yeah, the Saltare is a big boat.

Mani
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
HI! :)

I ended up giving him the info for Steve. He treated me right, and fixed my boat properly. Hope all goes well.

Rusty
01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
HI! :)

I ended up giving him the info for Steve. He treated me right, and fixed my boat properly. Hope all goes well.

Thank you all for helping out with this big decision. Steve is coming out on Thursday to give me a quote/take her away. I'll keep you all posted.

dusty2221
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Great news!

csuggs
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Rusty - 8 grand's not bad for all that if it's done right. I paid more than that, but I also had more work done and got a custom tower as well. Like the guys said, do your homework. I would personally go to someone that is familiar with older Supras so you don't have to pay for the guy's learning curve!