PDA

View Full Version : Q: 21V 2008 with Cat Engine - ODBII?

OneCent
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi

Is there a OBDII Connection on a 21V 2008 with the Catalytic Engine?

Cheers, OneCent

docdrs
12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
no its mefi V (marine electronic fuel injection version 5).....you need a special reader , about 600 denaros

OneCent
12-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the Info... what a surprise that it cost more ;-)

beast 496
12-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Go to Rinda Technologys, Standard diagnostic reader/tool. They have the programing for the Marine engines. I have two of these readers and are invaluable. For the 2008 you only need the adaptor for Mefi 5 Brand new about $450.00 For 2009 you will need the CAN adaptor bump up another $200.00. The Rinda tool offers so much more than a OBII can offer. This is why we have a $45.00 tool charge for every time we hook up. It seams every few years I need to get an update or another adaptor. Good luck Al

docdrs
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Go to Rinda Technologys, Standard diagnostic reader/tool. They have the programing for the Marine engines. I have two of these readers and are invaluable. For the 2008 you only need the adaptor for Mefi 5 Brand new about $450.00 For 2009 you will need the CAN adaptor bump up another $200.00. The Rinda tool offers so much more than a OBII can offer. This is why we have a $45.00 tool charge for every time we hook up. It seams every few years I need to get an update or another adaptor. Good luck Al

Al, as a diy'r do you think this is a good investment? right now my 09 has 2 more years of warranty, but after that I am considering getting one of these as I figure it will pretty much pay for itself after the first or second time I use it.

tg0824SSVGG
12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Doc,

You must have more faith in your dealer than I do. I loved my original dealer, and
trusted him - because he would have me sit in the boat when he hooked up the software
and would show me whatever he found.

The new dealer, not so much -- I drop the boat, then get a call - frequently with "other stuff" that I wasn't even looking at. I am not saying he's dishonest, or that he's not telling me the truth - it's just "different".

A few times when I have thrown a code at Lake Powell (where the boat goes into "limp mode" - I would have LOVED to have had access to something to reset the code).

But - like you said, $400-600 is a lot of denero!

docdrs
12-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Doc,

You must have more faith in your dealer than I do. I loved my original dealer, and
trusted him - because he would have me sit in the boat when he hooked up the software
and would show me whatever he found.

The new dealer, not so much -- I drop the boat, then get a call - frequently with "other stuff" that I wasn't even looking at. I am not saying he's dishonest, or that he's not telling me the truth - it's just "different".

A few times when I have thrown a code at Lake Powell (where the boat goes into "limp mode" - I would have LOVED to have had access to something to reset the code).

But - like you said, $400-600 is a lot of denero!

think you may have misunderstood me......i actually dont think 4-600 is alot when your dealing with a 40 -50 k investment if you know how to use it . its all about time and convenience to me.....if i can do it quicker than I'm doing it......a knowlegeable dealer or service person close to me is my issue as due to past experience I have a big issue with this

OneCent
12-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Go to Rinda Technologys, Standard diagnostic reader/tool. They have the programing for the Marine engines. Al

You mean the TechMate Marine Scan Tool? Or the DIACOM Marine PC Software?

I'm thinking about it because the next supra dealer is 200km away.

Engine Nut
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
You mean the TechMate Marine Scan Tool? Or the DIACOM Marine PC Software?

I'm thinking about it because the next supra dealer is 200km away.

The TechMate is a great tool, it will read all of the engine parameters that the Diacom software will ... it just reads them one line at a time instead of all of the parameters on one screen. It will also read and clear trouble codes just like Diacom does. We use both the TechMate and Diacom here and they both work very well.

beast 496
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Yes, it is a great investment. I highly recommend. Easy to use and Rinda support is great also. The investment is not that much. I use the techmate style. Easier to use than the laptop. Good luck Al

OneCent
12-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for the Information! And Happy new year! ;-)