PDA

View Full Version : 89 Supra Mariah Value?

a-peel-ing
01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone, I am hoping to become an owner of an 89 supra mariah but I was looking for a bit of help before I make the purchase. It is a Mariah blue in color with a 454 with 480hrs. The boat it self is in very good condition minus a few small scratches but everything works, all the gauges, lights, radio, engine looks really clean, no rot in the engine bay and the floor is solid also it has the cover and all the service manuals. It has a tower off a 2010 Air Natique mounted to it which actually fits nicely on the boat. The boat needs a good cleaning and polish which I am pretty sure I can handle myself. It has a double axle trailer which is also in good shape other than paint. My biggest concern is the interior, in my opinion everything needs to be redone minus the side trim pieces. So my question is does anybody have a rough idea what it cost to have the seats redone and what the boat would be worth in the condition that it's in. So just to sum it all it all up the boat is in good shape other than the seats sorry I have no pictures. I am just looking for a good boat to take my wife and little boy out wakeboarding.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry I also should mention that the boat is located outside of Toronto Canada.

cadunkle
01-01-2011, 03:52 PM
NADA says $6110 average value, though that's value with a small block. Add tower and such and probably closer to $7000-$7500, minus cost to redo interior and whatever else it may need. So $5000-$6000? I'm no expert on boat pricing though,so take it with a grain of salt.

stinky_1
01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
value is a touchy subject. Boats here in canada tend to sell and be sold for a lot more than in the US. Not only that, which part of the country you are in will make a difference.

Some guys have no problem selling their boats for a mint, and others dont even get calls on their boat that is practically being given away.

Best thing to start with is know what you are willing to pay. "value" is really determined by what the seller will take (his value) and what the buyer will pay (his value).

With that all in mind, here are 4 Mariahs I found on craigslist.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/boa/2115489677.html

http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/2135975351.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2126719470.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2121868860.html

The last two may be the same boat, but different phone numbers.

That gives you an idea what others are asking. A new interior could be done on your own for under $1000 with a good sewing machine and some time.

If your paying someone else to do it you will be paying more. I have not had it done myself, but have seen the numbers $3000 and $5000 thrown around. Someone else can back this up or not.

You have to keep in mind that most sellers think everything is "minor" and it cant possibly cost as much as you say to fix it.

Mariahs are a pretty rare boat, but that does not mean there is a ton of demand for them. We all would prolly love to have one, but that doesnt mean the seller is getting his phone ringing off the hook for it either. There are also a few sunsports kicking around on CL that could be had for a bit less. Your son and wife would fit on that equally as well.

Hopefully I was able to help you out in some way with this post.

a-peel-ing
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
thanks for the info Stinky 1, looking at those other boats for sale makes me feel a little better about the one I am looking at. I think if I can get it for around $6000 to $6500 it will be worth it. If anybody thinks different please let me know.

Thanks,

DAFF
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Just because the floor seems solid don't be mislead. Almost every single Supra boat has rot of some sort under the floor. Better to make the assumption that it will need floor and stringer work when thinking everything is A1. Plus it makes a great bartering tool when shopping.

The interior is going to cost 2-3K off the start. The best judge is where the boat has been stored. Indoor stored unit will be much better in condition....

stinky_1
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I would probably start in the $3000 - $4000 range. Remind him that the stringers "always" rot out on these boats. And that its very expensive to repair. You can check it sort of by trying to tighten your engine mounts. If the bolts turn easy then you have a big problem. If they are solid and dont come loose then you have a fighting chance. I would still try to convince him it is rotted out anyway.

Then you have $6000K as your upper limit.

I know a member on here just got a sunsport that looks to be in great shape for under $3500. The guy was asking $5000. So that gives you an idea how much he was willing to move on the price. Plus the owner drove it half way to meet up and show the boat. You can find that thread on here as well. There are a few more sunsports on CL than Mariahs as well. So you have a bit more selection.

Not trying to sway your decision, just want to make sure you know there are other options. If your convinced you will buy this guys boat then I suppose you will just negotiate till you find his bottom line and buy it.

mlyoung83
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't pay more than 5k for it, maybe even 4k tops. No bank in their right mind is going to finance that boat. And most people aren't going to spend 5k on a play toy in this economy.

96Comp
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with price ranges of other posters for the interior. Perhaps can be done as cheap as 2k. Beware whether the upholsterer uses a good grade of vinyl. A local boat restorer here uses thin vinyl. Lucky to have that job last more than a year or so. I dropped my seat cushions off with Jim at Viper Customs. My interior is in real good shape, so I just hit the high-wear items. He also has access to original Supra vinyl, so it matches well. Even have some custom "Supra" embroidery on the seats. If you have a business friend, you can palletize you seats and save on shipping to and return. Alternatively, you could order the vinyl and have a local upholsterer do the work. Using the original Supra vinyl will help the match. A friend of mine had his seat cushions redone first and then used interior paint on the sides and backs. It looked real nice and held up for several years when he changed the entire interior.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow great quality posts here! Good job team

a-peel-ing
01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I have taken all your advice very seriously and have decided that the boat should be in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range. I'll let you know how it turns out.

edgewater1
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
There is a large difference between asking price and actual value, Like my boat asking 5000, paid under 1k, be preped for low ball offers

cadunkle
01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't pay more than 5k for it, maybe even 4k tops. No bank in their right mind is going to finance that boat. And most people aren't going to spend 5k on a play toy in this economy.

Good point. I generally consider it foolish to finance a toy, car, or any other relatively low dollar item. When considering boats and budget before buying my Saltare I was looking into a $10k loan to use towards a Prostar 205 or Sport Nautique instead of blowing through like $10-$15k at once. Even those newer all fiberglass boats no one wanted to finance, but two banks told me if I wanted either a new wake boat or less than 3 yrs old they would loan me as much as I wanted over whatever term I was comfortable with. Thought that was funny. Banks don't seem too interested in relatively small short term loans, only high dollar higher risk loans. I think that's what got them into the situation they're in.

I ended up getting my Saltare for WAY less than those boats and paying cash. More room, bigger engine, fresh engine and floor/stringer repair, etc. and saved a lot of money. I think I made a good decision. No sense paying interest on a toy, cheaper in the long run.