PDA

View Full Version : Removing skeg/fin

JCS3845
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
I have an '89 Saltare with a bent rear skeg/fin. I thought I would remove it and have it fixed. The bolts came out fine but the skeg/fin wouldn't come off -- it's like its glued to the bottom of the boat. Any suggestions on removing it?

Thanks,

02LaunchSSV
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
If it's anything like the tower on my 02 SSV, then you'd be looking at an epoxy type silicone (5200 marine adhesive) that's available from West Marine. I did manage to get my tower off with lots of TLC and the use of "anti-bond 2015" which is a spray. I MUST FOREWARN YOU, DO NOT PRY OFF, you will rip the gelcoat off down literally to the fiberglass and quite possible most of that as well. I called SUPRA direct and was told what adhesive held the tower and feel its used most everywhere. I used roughly 20 cans of this spray and it does eventually erode/eat away at the adhesive. It takes a lot of time and I wish you luck. Call SUPRA in Maryville and ask for someone in service. They will be able to tell you what is holding it on the boat.

dmgx
11-18-2004, 09:57 AM
The fin is not put on with 5200, just boatlife. The fin will pry off using a dead blow or pipe wrench. Jay