PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my 89 Sunsport

Turrillo
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
As I was searching on line for a potential replacement for my Sunsport, I happened upon this site and was excited to join. My beautiful Sunsport, (she is Red and White) with only 650 hours has been my pride and joy. She was covered every night, never and I mean never in the rain, and stored indoors every Winter. Despite all of the care I gave her, she has suffered the same fate as many on here. It started with the Driver's seat coming loose, the Ski Pylon coming loose and finally the engine mounts. I suspect I have the full deal of rot and need the same restoration that "Chat" had done last year.

My local boat mechanic who does all of my service thinks he can fix her, but after seeing the "split hull" style restoration on here, I think it is above him.

I actually called the famous "Chris" who did Chat's project today and I have not heard back from him yet. Although, I have no real idea, I am guessing it would cost me around $6000 to do something like I need to do, and I wonder if it makes sense.

So my question to those of you who have been through this, what did it cost and in the end do you think it was the right choice?

I see 5 year old Supra's on line for around the $30k mark, and while I realize that 30k is a far cry from 6000, it does make you think.

My hull is near perfect. If I ordered new decals it would look new. She runs absolutely perfect and it is a shame this happened.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

TitanTn
01-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Sorry to hear this, but as you're read here, it's not that uncommon. One thing to consider is how much you want to have invested in your boat after you either buy a newer boat or fix your current one. The thing that I like is that after I get done with the restoration that I'm currently going through, I'll know EXACTLY what my boat is made of. And I own it free and clear. That's a good feeling. Even if you buy a $30k boat, there's no guarantee it doesn't have issues either.

Welcome to the forum!

DAFF
01-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Just remember with time more and more Supras will have the same fate. Sure the new ones are turn key but miss some of the charactor of the older boats. If the $6000.00 is broken down into a ten year intervals, $600.00 a year seams to be a great deal. NTM the boat will still be good for ten after that.

Welcome to the forum ... best of luck in the resto....

michael hunter
01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Speaking as a 89 Sunsport owner in near perfect shape I will say 6000 is a small price to pay for a classic. If you sell her you will get almost nothing for her in pristine condition she will still get 10-12k.

sybrmike
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Tough delimma for sure - resto's aren't for everyone. It's a personal decision based on your wants, needs, & financial situation. If you love the ole girl & she still meets what your family needs in a boat, 6k might be a reasonable cost. If you now need more room for a growing family or the different wake/space of a v-drive cause now everyone boards/surfs, then it might be time for a change.

However, keep in mind that boats (like cars) are liabilities that depreciate (and boats get much less use than cars). Whatever you spend on boating should be considered as cost of entertainment. You're not going to recover any "investment" down the road (other than smiles and long term memories with family and friends). Some folks buy new cars every 2 years & always have the latest cell phone, gadget, etc. - good for them if that's what they want and can afford. Me, I try to buy what fits my needs at the lowest cost. Also, not having boat payments is nice - especially when it's just sitting there during the winter.

Good luck with your decision...

87SunSportMikeyD
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Turrillo, welcome to the club and sorry to hear about your boat. It's something we all worry about, and not just Supras but all wooden-framed boats. Like Michael said, a boat in need of stringer replacement will not sell for more than 2-4k. But if you get it fixed, it could sell for 10-12k. With the repair process taking 3-6k it is possible to come out ahead. 3k is DIY price vs 6k full retail, but a good private mechanic should be about 4.5k. These are just guesstimates.

But as an example, I just put in a new motor. Dealer wanted 6k for motor and install. I was able to find a private mechanic for 40% of the labor price of the dealer. That mechanic wanted $2k for a motor. I was able to find and bring him a motor I found for $900. Total project was $2700. It was expensive but I paid less than half of that the dealer wanted. Sorry to be off topic but that is to show you how much prices can vary.

csuggs
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Turillo -

I recently had to process through all of that myself. It's not an easy decision, and varies with individual preference. Pricing varies greatly depending on what you do yourself, just like Mikey said. I spent a lot on my 86, but it was worth it to me because I now have a boat that I can be comfortable in for many years to come, and it's all mine! Before I spent the money, I decided it would be a "keeper" because I wouldn't be able to get my money out of it. BUT, my boat is every bit as nice as most $20K boats you can buy - and so I'm happy. If you decided you're going to have a boat for many years to come, and if what you have will suit your needs, go for it. Spend the money to have it done right, then insure it for a declared value to cover your expenses. You'll not regret it.

Turrillo
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks to all who have commented so far.

I had a great 45 minute conversation today with Chris from Pittsburg. Although he is 5-6 hours away from me, if I do this restoration he is the guy. As you may remember, he has done this project to his Supra as well as two other members from here. You can view the pictures and get a sense for the quality of work he does.

Some of you have commented on the pros and cons of newer boat vs restoring this one. And you are right. These vintage Supra's are classics in their own right, and I do really love mine. That said a newer V drive with a tower and newer technology (fuel injection, electronic ignition just to name a few) would also be nice.

At this point while still a bit undecided, I am leaning towards the restoration project, and don't worry, Chris has promised to send weekly update photos for me to post here.

I am really glad I found this site. The passion you all have for these boats is great.

Thanks for your thoughts and please keep them coming.

I will keep you updated.

Okie Boarder
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Tough decision for sure. All the main points have been made, now it's just up to you to decide. Welcome and keep us posted.

wotan2525
01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I ended up doing the full resto because I had no other choice.... I had invested $10k in a boat and it's not like I could just throw it out... I had to fix it.

If I had known that I would be putting $18-20k into this boat when I bought it.... I wouldn't have bought it. There wasn't a choice, either -- I couldnt afford an $18-20k boat. I couldn't afford to put $18-20k into this boat. But... time helped me out. I slowly invested and repaired broken things and now it's running out of things to break. There's no doubt I could have had a nicer/better/newer boat for $18k... but what kind of maintenance or issues would that boat have had?

Every spring I'm pretty famous for declaring that there isn't one untouched bolt on my boat... that every part on it has been replaced (or at least turned) and that there isn't anything else left to fail. Every summer, something comes along to remind me that there's still original parts there. Last year was probably the least expensive year (maintenance wise) that I've had -- the only "failure" was the trailer jack. $40 and 2-hours later, I was back in business. Compare that to my timeline of catastrophic failures:

Year 1 -> Bought boat in September. No issues. $10k
Year 2 -> Engine blew up 3rd week of June. July and August lost. $2500
Year 3 -> Rebuilt engine "twists" after engine mounts rot to the point of failure in June. Boat sinks in shallow water. Stringers shot. Disassamble and start getting bids. Start saving for repair and considering options.
Year 4 -> Boat does not touch water. Mixture of DIY and semi-professional stringer repair with new shaft log and fiberglass work. $4k
Year 5 -> Stringers solid but still finishing.... carpet, new running gear (prop, strut, shaft log, coupler.) Boat back in water July 25!!!! $1500
Year 6 -> Mostly uneventful year. Minor repairs/issues... broken timing sprocket in early September, season ends early. $500
Year 7 -> Cracked oil pan in August. Engine out (preventative maintance done) and back in during a long weekend. $500
Year 8 -> Trailer jack fails. $40. First year that I haven't missed a day due to mechanical failure!

Wow. I've never added it all up like that or put it together in one place. I guess I have way over $20k invested since that list only includes the major repairs/maintance. If I was to add up the upgrades (stereo, ballast, fresh-air-exhaust, rub-rail, pop-up cleats, trailer LEDs, tower, etc) I'm sure I'd be sick. I've turned into one of those crazy people that just keep spending money on tired old projects!!

DAFF
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
WOTAN - Just be thankfull you never had the itch to buy a plane..... Those are money pits....

jsandy
01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
i say just completely give up on it. its never guna be a good boat and just be a giant waist of money. and to be a nice guy i'll come and get it from you for free

jmpotter
01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm in a similiar situation with an 89 Sunsport. I bought it last April and quicklly dumped about $1,500 in for tune up, carb rebuild, basic stereo, guage, etc, etc. By the end of the summer, I had a great running boat with the only issues being a few soft spots in the floor. I tore out the carpet to find that just the access panels were weak and that it would be simple fix. Now just need to find the time (or someone) to replace them and install the new carpet.

So I now debate how much I want to sink into her (pun intended) versus selling and buying up. I want to add a tower, build up the stereo, and add some lights. The hull really needs to be buffed out too along with a new rub rail, and clean up the teak.

This thread seems to tell me to go ahead with the build and in the end, have a boat that already has the bugs rung out and customized to my liking. Also a big fan of owning something with zero payments!

Thanks everyone!

TitanTn
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I think it's always better to KNOW what you have instead of buying something newer that you HOPE will not have any needs.

stinky_1
01-11-2011, 12:06 AM
there is for sure respect out there in the general community (at least in my area) for a classic running on the water still. every day I was out in the last 2 years I had a compliment on my old Nautique. People prolly didn't even know the history of the boat. they just knew it was old, and I was rocking a wake as big as the new boats. You cant argue with that.

You only have to pay so much for a world class wake. the extra $60,000 is only paying for a name, some newer seats, and a bit more options (perfect pass comes to mind).

Most the things you ?need to run a wake boat can be added at minimal cost to any boat as you will find by checking out the members rides on this forum.

csuggs
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Nobody on here that has gone through a stringer repair has regretted it.

You nailed it right there. Hey - I like a new or newer boat just as much as the next guy. I mean, they have a lot to offer. But I'm very happy with mine and the best thing is that I don't have to pay big bucks to have just as much fun!

jsandy
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
old boats have personality, new boats just have a big price tag.

dshaff24
01-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Check out my link in the sig to see the Stringers chris did for me.. I gave him a boat with just stringers and he re did that portion and I got it back and finished it.. The thing that amazed me is the Top cap aligned perfect when I put it down onto the lower half of the boat.. So I was happy.. Im getting the boat out of storage in the next 2 weeks to start doing some more work to it so ill look over the stringers to see if everything still looks good.. Overall I think chris did an awesome job

Turrillo
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I am going to bring it to Chris. He and I had a great conversation and although I have to haul the boat 7-8 hours to get it to him, I think it is worth the trip. I hope to have it to him by mid February. He has promised weekly pictures that I will post here as the project. goes.

Thanks to all of the feed back.

Turrillo
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Delivering he Boat to Chris this Saturday. He says I will have it back at the end of March. He has promised to send me weekly pictures which I will post here.

Turrillo
02-12-2011, 12:55 AM
I am delivering the boat from CT to Chris in Pittsburg tomorrow. He has promised to send weekly pictures for me to post here. I am really excited to get this project started I will keep you all updated.

I have spoken to Chris in detail, read all of the threads on the projects he has done for other members here and I have complete confidence my boat will be like new!

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Driving through Pittsburgh with my boat in February with snow on the ground. It took us a little over 8 hours from CT.

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
I have received the first pictures back from Chris. He has had the boat exactly one month today. When he first received it, he sent several seats sections off to the upholstery shop. Now the hull has been split and the floor and stringer work begins.

Pictures from this week.

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
As I get more news and pictures from Chris, I will keep you all posted.

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I am considering adding a tower. It occurred to my son that while the top of the hull is removed, some type of reinforcement could be done to the top for the tower. I see many of you have added a tower.

Any suggestions on a good looking reasonable tower?

Blackntan90
03-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Wow! that is awesome that you are stimulating the economy in Pittsburgh! It looks as though he knows what he is doing, you should have no regrets! I put a monster tower (MT-1) on my 90 Mariah, Its OK- but I really like the look of the Titan(original) but the price was out of my range at the time. I will say that Monster has great customer service. And your son is right -now would be the time to install backing plates on the cap, you just have to figure out where to put them!

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 08:54 AM
The person doing it is Chris who has done others that were posted on here. That is how I found him. Always glad to help the economy.

Turrillo
03-12-2011, 09:47 AM
How do I post pictures in the thread rather than thumbnails. I have friends that want to follow along but can't open the thumbnails without joining the forum. I see in some posts they are large pictures not thumbnails.

TitanTn
03-12-2011, 09:54 AM
You have to store 800x600 images on a photo service site like Photobucket or something. You will then be given a URL for each image and you can take that link (the http://something.com/image) and place it between tags in your post. That will show the larger image without having to login.

jet
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Turrillo. I just drove from Mystic, CT to Dallas in 2-days!! So I know what your feeling, lol. And here's a picture of my rebuild..Im redoing the floors, all 4-story's of them. You have to look at your old supra like this..there are guys who BUY old muscle cars and then there are guys who rebuild them..and the chicks like the guys who build them and fix them. Or like a race car driver that works on his own car.. TONS OF CONFIDENCE. I know Im into this thread late, AND YOU ALREADY STARTED but your resale value can be what ever you want it to be now..no thoughts of a big project for the new buyer and driving your price down. Tell them Its SOLID..I know because I built it myself and heres the pictures, my price is firm! Good luck, I love the red and shee will look great soon. Jet

c43amg
03-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Turrillo. I just drove from Mystic, CT to Dallas in 2-days!! So I know what your feeling, lol. And here's a picture of my rebuild..Im redoing the floors, all 4-story's of them. You have to look at your old supra like this..there are guys who BUY old muscle cars and then there are guys who rebuild them..and the chicks like the guys who build them and fix them. Or like a race car driver that works on his own car.. TONS OF CONFIDENCE. I know Im into this thread late, AND YOU ALREADY STARTED but your resale value can be what ever you want it to be now..no thoughts of a big project for the new buyer and driving your price down. Tell them Its SOLID..I know because I built it myself and heres the pictures, my price is firm! Good luck, I love the red and shee will look great soon. Jet

hello all.
im the one doing the rebilld.
anyways JET what the hell is that a picture of? whatever it is it looks awsome lol.

jet
03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Dude thats a BOAT!!!Its 3-4 stories high from the 1800's being rebuilt. Its 10 houses away from my mother-in-laws house on mystic harbor.

dshaff24
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
On that boat Id recommend the Samson Tower.. In my opinion its fits that boat perfect.. search rollingrock33 on here and you will see a blue 91 with a samson tower..

Chris I see you got another notch on the belt.. No complaints with mine.. Just pulled it out of storage and looked over the mounts.. etc etc:cool:

Mani
03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I thought it was Noah's ark! Talk about a stringer repair!!

Ditto. Just be sure not to notch the wood, and it should last a while. ;)

jannypan
03-23-2011, 02:15 AM
The thing that I like is that after I get done with the restoration that I'm currently going through, I'll know EXACTLY what my boat is made of.

Turrillo
04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I received some updates from Chris

TitanTn
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the update. Did he send you any of the stringer replacement?

Turrillo
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
He did not. Maybe he has more pictures that he has not sent yet.

jet
04-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Where did you get the engine pan, I like that idea. Mine was dripping oil in the beilge messing everything up.

Turrillo
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
It came with the boat originally.

Turrillo
06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Since the last post a new sound system.

Turrillo
06-03-2011, 10:58 PM
We took out the rather useless cabinet on the Starboard side and built a Sub enclosure.

Turrillo
06-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Head unit for the sound system. Interfaces with any Ipod type device.

Turrillo
06-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Ran into a slight alignment issue with the engine after the restoration. My local mechanic solved it but he had the engine back out yesterday.

Turrillo
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow it is time for the final detail and get her in the water.

TitanTn
06-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Those pics are just teasing us a little. I want to see that box when it's installed and some pics when the "final details" are done.

Turrillo
06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Hit a few more snags. It is expected when you do such a major project. Got her in the water for a few minutes today, but we have a fuel line leak. Likely happened during the reassembly of the hull.

I wil take the final pics of the sound system when I get the boat back from the mechanic.

Okie Boarder
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Looking good. Defnitely post more pics and show some detail.

Turrillo
07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I have been remiss at posting some more pictures of the finished product. Here are some pictures of the sound system. Four new speakers, Subwoofer, two amps and a head unit that syncs with my Ipod. Sounds incredible.

Turrillo
07-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Here are some more.

jet
07-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Nice job man. Hey im interested in where you got that head unit? Can you post a link?

Turrillo
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2010/marine/source_units/CMS1/us-en-product-pf_1259392721043.html