PDA

View Full Version : Tower speaker choices HELP!!

BadbluSi
01-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Ok I'm currently in the market for some tower speakers, and have been trying do my research by reading up till I'm nauseous!! I've looked at Wetsounds packages (double up and 3 some), I've also considered 4 6x9's looking at offerings from Wetsounds and Polk and would do a Liquid trends box. I want to be somewhat cost conscious but still have great sound. I just bought the boat last summer (2000 Supra Santera) and right now would say it's a 70/30 split with partying in the coves and riding. I replaced the cabin speakers w 4 Polk Db651's and really like them so far. I want something that is more in the middle, not killing passengers in the boat but good for the days were anchored and tied up with friends. I think that some of the Wetsounds combos or HLCD might be overkill for what we currently do. Thoughts or suggestions, not trying to start a what's best argument, just looking for some expert advice. (paging jonyb) hahaha

cmtaylor777
01-08-2011, 02:34 PM
If you think they may be overkill.....then they will. Wetsounds are crazy loud. Sounds like 4 good quality components will do. I have experience with Polk and kicker and I like them both. Polk for sound and Kicker for volume.

Just get you a quality set and put some money in a high end amp. That sounds like all you will need.

BadbluSi
01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Is there a vast difference in Polk MM and Db series?? Looked at the Wetsounds 696, looks like it may be the middle ground between full HLCD and components.

cmtaylor777
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
The wetsounds will hold up a lot better in the elements than the others. I was going to suggest them as well. If you aren't super picky about the sound then I would think they would be a good choice. A buddy of mine runs them in his roswell bar and loves them. He replaced his Kickers with them and hasn't had any regrets. When I replace mine I will probably go that route.

BadbluSi
01-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Have you heard the WS 696's in persons? I think theyre like 599 a pair on the site, not sure if you've seen them any better somewhere?

ditchsnake
01-08-2011, 04:39 PM
I started out with the wet sounds double up and was very unhappy with them. The mb8 is worthless in my opinion. Sold it and replaced it with a set of pro 80's mixed with the pro 60's. Sounds better than anything I hear on the water. Not cheap though.

BadbluSi
01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Looking at the site, looks like I could do 4 696's for 300 cheaper than the double up. Anyone have experience with those? Haven't gotten much input on the 696's. Seems like more often they choose a Pro 80 or 60

Diggs
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Have you looked at exiles?

BadbluSi
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I've been looking at WS, Exiles and a few others, just so much info to decipher it's hard to choose. Would be much easier if the bank account was bottomless and have had personal experience with any of them. That's why I was trying to get some opinions.

tg0824SSVGG
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
BadBlu ... have you looked at the Samson speakers at samsonsports.com?

They have just come out with a "horn based" tower speaker that I hear is
very good ...

Todd

jonyb
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
You can have 20 people come in this thread and say what they think sounds good or is overkill. Until you hear if for yourself, you'll never know. My expectations may be higher then the next guys'.

If you don't do it right the first time, you'll be sorry. I've got a customer that had 4 JL Audio 6 channel amps. Now he's decided to sell all of them and replace with 3 Wet Sounds amps. He's losing a ton of money on those amps because he didn't plan better.

Chose wisely. If there's a local dealer or another person with the speakers you are considering, I highly recommend you listen to all the options first. I can tell you this, everyone that's heard the Wet Sounds in my area, have bought them.

BadbluSi
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Jonyb, I think that's where I'm getting stuck. I live in Morgantown WV and don't know of any dealers close to here. I've been going back and forth on the Moomba boards with David from Earmark and Brian at Exile with tons of useful info. It sounds like from their responses I'd be best suited w 4 Exile Sxt65's or 4 of the Bullet Hollow point 770's. Like I said in the OP, I'm not looking to throw sound a 100 feet back just good mid bass and clarity for cabin passengers and back to surfing area! I really appreciate everyones help and responses, especially since this is the umpteenth thousandth post on tower speakers.

KG's Supra24
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Are you looking at 770 coaxial or HLCD? Their HLCD setup will be one of the loudest out there. Sounds like 770 coaxial would really for the bill for you. Just make sure they are properly amped. I know david likes to run a pair of JL mono blocks to them. I had 4 of the 6.5 coaxials and they sounded GREAT at surf and could be heard at riding distance.

BadbluSi
01-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I think the coaxials would do the job, especially after seeing youtube videos of the HLCD's and crystal clear sound at over a 100 feet!! Do you guys know if the coaxials have similar sound characteristics, just don't project as far?

KG's Supra24
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
From my understanding, bullet is one of the cleanest sounding speakers out there. I loved my 6.5's and I'm sure the 7.7 are even better and would have more bass.

Of course I am a little bias since I chose them but I also think the bullet is the cleanest looking design. Simple and clean.

cmtaylor777
01-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Have to admit, I have been behind KG's boat. It sounded great. Loud as hell.

Only complaint was that he often swiched the radio from music to play some damn worthless pig college football.

Matt Laird
01-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Gotta go with wetsounds in my opinion... I'll never buy anything else..

ronixrider82
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM
If you want the best...loudest..sickest... WETSOUND'S.. I have the pro 485's and I drown out everybody that's around me! And the bad thing about it I didnt even have it all the way turned up!

viking
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
From my understanding, bullet is one of the cleanest sounding speakers out there. I loved my 6.5's and I'm sure the 7.7 are even better and would have more bass.

Of course I am a little bias since I chose them but I also think the bullet is the cleanest looking design. Simple and clean.

Agree with KG but then again, I did this whole pondering and research thing a year ago and decided on the Bullet 770's. Love em!

WS, Bullet, Exile, Samson - can't go wrong with any of them.

Decide on what your goal is (great sound floating in a cove, surfing 10ft back, or wakeboarding/skiing 80ft back and that will direct you to the right application). Just my .02.

Swamplandkarl
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I have had wetsounds any many others but I think the best is NVS AUDIO ..
There not cheap but if you want the best on the market check them out...

http://www.nvs1.net/tower_speakers.html