PDA

View Full Version : extended pylon attached to lifting ring

Spievy79
01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if there would be an issue connecting a flyhigh to my lifting ring rather than using the bridle around the bow?

stinky_1
01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
this is just an opinion, but I would say it should be fine. Those lifting rings can hold the entire boat in the air, why not a 300 lbs riders force?

Hopefully someone who really knows can give you a definitive answer.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I wouldnt do it. Sorry but take a close look at the ring. It is not designed for sideways forces. You would need to support it somehow. The lifting ring just goes through the hull and is bolted to the stringers/wood of the floor/hull area. At least I THINK it is... :p

stinky_1
01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
If you have the option to go around the front of the boat that is certainly the preferred way. You would be surprised what that hull lift bolt can do though.

I wouldn't tow a tuber by the pole. A wakeboarding is different.

96Comp
01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I would not do it. The lift ring is designed to accommodate static load of the boat being slowly lifted. The extended pylon is dynamic, not only in terms of direction - some lateral and rearward, but also a variable load depending on what the boarder is doing. While some of the load is transferred to the stringers via the ski pole, most of the load is carried by the cable and is transferred to the entire hull on the bow strap. Using the lift ring means you will carry a dynamic load on a single point. Single points of failure are not good. My .02 worth - probably worth .01.

Spievy79
01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Sounds like I will just keep it the way that it is.

rludtke
01-18-2011, 11:00 PM
I use the lift ring. The lift ring mounts to a big threaded steel rod that attaches to hull at its lower end. The loads from the Pylon do deflect the ring aft, but only as far as the penatration hole in the top deck will allow, and that load is only a fraction of the total, and it loads the top deck in shear, the deck can handle it. The majority of the load is in tension, which is what the lift ring was meant for.
Cheers,