PDA

View Full Version : Heres My New Saltare Project..

devovino
01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Heres the new beast.. Should be tackling first and foremost some interior work, the upholstry is pretty shot, probably a directt correlation with the hot summmers, cold winters ( as you can see the snow) and, being an 87, the boat has seen some years. The good news... price was right, runs like a top, and will provide years of enjoyment for the family to be. Along with odds and ends like the trailor re-painting and a wet sand, this thing is ready to go. This blue is not my favorite color, it works for now and is not my major priority, will think about altering this down the road. A few soft spots on the floor, around the CPT's chair, which I am finding out is pretty common, will most likely tear out the sub floor to examine the stringers, hoping for the best on that, but we all know how that goes ...dont we.! Another plus, low hours on the motor (454) about 387, all electric works, with the exception of the cigarette lighter, not a big deal, but would like to be able to run the satelite radio. Other than that, should be a heellllll of a project, looking to add as much ballast as possible, and the Saltare is perfect for this, lets bring surf to the deserts of Central Oregon, bring it on.!! devon

jet
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Looks great man..except for the blue. No, just kidding. I have XM on mine and love it. Goodluck man..but prep yourself for going all the way on that floor. :lol:

sybrmike
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Another Salt - I love it! Congrats on the purchase & good luck cleaning her up (even more luck with the stringers/floor). Hope she works out well for you.

TitanTn
01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. It's going to take a crazy amount of hours to do the rebuild, but it's very rewarding also. Keep us updated with pics.

If you haven't seen this thread yet, check it out. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4964 This guy rebuilt a blue Sunsport that turned out gorgeous. I think with a little modern spin on that blue Saltare, you'll be surprised as to how good it looks.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Looks like a great boat from here! Crossing my fingers on the floor and stringers.

Okie Boarder
01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome, looks like a nice boat to start with and have some fun making your own. Enjoy!

devovino
01-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. It's going to take a crazy amount of hours to do the rebuild, but it's very rewarding also. Keep us updated with pics.

If you haven't seen this thread yet, check it out. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4964 This guy rebuilt a blue Sunsport that turned out gorgeous. I think with a little modern spin on that blue Saltare, you'll be surprised as to how good it looks.

That, that is a bad ass rebuild, it does give me some inspiration and some good ideas to run with, love the lighting options, as well as all the modifications! Starting with the basics, then will conquer the more involved stuff down the road! But yeah, it should be an adventure! Thanks for the comments.

devovino
01-15-2011, 04:09 PM
So.... In tearing into the "baby blue beast" I have started with the upholstry, the front nose seat back upon removal, seemingly dissentigrated, so obviousley I will be rebuilding the frames, was hoping to use the existing frame for a template, but I will have to make due with the partial template ( a sign of things to come?) other than that removing the seats has proven not to be too much of a battle, the bottom seat cushions wood was not to bad, but I figure if I am going to re-do this unit, I might as well do it right, and replace them as well.. Wondering if anybody, in redoing there upholstry, sealed or glassed there wood with resin of some sort to repel water< i will probably do this, not sure what would be best to use, some research is needed, any help is always helpfull, thanks.

Will keep pictures of the progress if anyone is interested.. also recieved a quote from a local out of work upholsterer, who quoted me 32.00$ per linear yard, she said her discount of 20 percent made the upholstry 25.00$ per linear yard. Then went online, did some research, found marine grade upholstry for 10 and 12.00$ per linear, I guess she was marking up the upholstry for her benefit, makes since she said she would only charge 350.00$ for redoing the seats, which is a good deal, same deal with the foam, found it half the price from the same wholesaler.. anywho, thats the way the proverbial cookie ( or seat backs) crumble!

TitanTn
01-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm rebuilding the seat backs and seat bases and am painting the wood with an enamel based paint which is weather resistant. I'm sure that coating it in resin would work as well but that is messy and stinky. My wife is non to pleased with the fiberglassing I've already done in the basement. I don't think she could handle much more.

mapleleaf
01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Not sure how the seatback ply lasted so long as these boats when mine looked like raw wood. Covered my new seat templates in Marine spar a couple times, forgot to do my rear bench support and it got moldy almost instantly, had to pull it out and coat it....
Def. a good idea, wish I'd used CPES.....

sybrmike
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Can you post a link to the vinyl & foam you're looking at? Best I've been quoted local is $2200 for new vinyl, foam, & labor if I build all the new wood, but I'm still looking at options.

There's lots of debate for sure on the "right" way to build boat interiors. I'm going back with treated ply, cause that's what worked for me on previous boats - old Starcraft and Ski Supreme that lasted longer than I held the boats (10 years each). I'm sure any of the methods (marine/exterior/pt ply coated with CPES/resin/paint) will last a good long time.

devovino
01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah! I will post the vinyl link, I sent for some samples, they are sending them to me as we speak, I will post the link when I get a look at the vinyl samples. The company is on the east coast, I believe in Pitsburg, or Pensalvania. But yeah I will post it upon arrival of the samples.

Other than that, just slow and steady is the restoration, the further I get, the more I relize that this is a restore that will take a while to complete, not exactly an overnight endeavor, good times! D

sybrmike
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
For the past year my mantra has been "patience & perserverance". Screw that! I gotta start bustin A$$ & finally get er done (end of May?).

Seriously, rebuilding one of these is a lot of work - but break it down into smaller tasks & it doesn't seem as daunting and you will see progress. Like the card says, "best wishes for a speedy recovery/recovering".

dshaff24
01-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Looks like a fun project.. Been there done that and I don't regret it a bit..

jet
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Boating, wakeboarding and hanging out on the water is therapy for me now. After learning how to surf on the east coast in Florida and taking my 1st big wave I have been hooked..the water found Its way into my heart that day along with the maker of that huge wave. It was like a 40 story building rolling on Its side. Its both exhilarating and calm..all at the same time. And now I chase that feeling everytime I head to the lake. Restoring one of these boats is NOT a big job unless you see it that way. I can't think up enough mods to keep me happy or to make my boat better. To me Its love or therapy. Let the force be strong in all of you and get to WORK YOU LAZY BUMS!!:rolleyes:

Iam stalled on my project again by another cold front coming this weekend..:cry:

TitanTn
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Ahh, come on Jet. If you REALLY loved it, a little cold front shouldn't stop you!

devovino
01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I believe the ocean and water found its way to somewhere in there... But yeah either way, I have come a long way from surfing DOheny in Dana Point CA, or from the cold waters of the puget sound in Washington state.. I now find my way into the deserts of Oregon, 4 hours from the ocean, and am dead set on bringing the waves to me here, by shredding the waves of the new Saltare! I forsee many great days on the lake doing such things.

When you break it down into little projects, piece work it out, its easier and more realistic, with a new born due in March 13th or so, this will keep me from tearing into her fully just yet, but my intentions are to create a gnarly wave to rip soon enough.. maybe some in floor ballast with whatever ballast I can throw at her!

mapleleaf
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
With a 3 week old here in Toronto, I'd keep that thing as put together as possible for this season! Best wishes for March, cant wait to tow my youngster's around behind the boat!!!!

sybrmike
01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
My 11 and 15 year old girls fancy themselves as California surf chicks just because they can ride the typical thigh high waves of the Texas coast on a long board each summer.

I've got 2850 lbs of ballast bags, two impeller pumps, and 3 bags of fittings waiting to see if a Saltare can show them what a "good" wave really looks like. Seriously, even if I could have found room down under the floor for more ballast - I know it'll never be ocean caliber, but should at least help them live out their fantasy.

You'd be surprised at how little room is down there in the places you need it for ballast. I'm sure it can be done, but I just couldn't find a viable way to get some meaningful weight below the floor. Good luck with the resto & best wishes on the impending arrival.

devovino
01-19-2011, 03:13 AM
So it seems like cpes is the wonder drug for a rot prevetntative, I will most likely coat all the seat backs/bottoms in this material, then wondering if I need to seal the wood on top of using this product, the more the better when it somes to weather/water proff-ness?
Yeah, pulling apart the floor, top cap is definetly a project for next winter since it is such a major time committment, but I want to redo the carpet and floors, but it seems like its only going "half-way to just replace the subfloor if the stringers that will support said floor indefinetly need replacement, so what to do? I have thought about re-installing carpet that can be easily removed ( maybe by snap in carpet) so when time comes to replace the stringers, I can just remove the new carpet and reuse it as well. I have allready come to terms with the fact that i will replace the stringers, just not a project I will do off the bat.
SO for now, tackle cosmetic superficial projects- ie: Vinyl/Foam/ Seats/ carpet, some lighting and stereo, and figure out a cure for the gel coat, might see how a wet sand takes to the "baby blue", but might eventully want to overlay a paint scheme- have thought about some sort of silver flake scheme using the blue as an base coat. But leary of painting over gel coat for obvious reason. Anywho... just generally rambling.. taking a break from homework and venting ideas... I must admit its pretty sweet to have a commmunity of like mided individuals to bounce ideas off of, all withe the same conquest!!! Awesome! Well take er easy, do er twice, keep er rubber side down!

jet
01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
OK..I'll be out there. :P

TitanTn
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
You may not be able to just replace the carpet and you definitely don't want to replace the floor knowing that you'll be replacing the stringers next winter. When I pulled my carpet up it pulled up sections of the rotted floor as well. I think you would be better to leave the floor alone until you're ready to do the stringer project.

Now of course you can get started on all those other cosmetic issues you described. There's plenty to do!

devovino
01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Did not really think of that, could my floor really be that rotted that upon removal of the carpet, the existing floor rots its way apart with it!? DOUGH! Hope not, that would be pretty far gone! if the floor is that bad, then questions arise about the condition of the stringers, along with the motor mounts that are holding the motor in place on those stringers,... which is connected to the prop shaft, ... which.......

sybrmike
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Not that I recommend it, buuuuut...

The PO of my Saltare had simply pulled the seat bases, removed the old carpet, glued & screwed new resin coated 1/2" plywood over the existing floor lengthwise from helm to gas tank and flange to flange width of the top cap, and covered with cheap outdoor carpet. A little creative trim along the cap flange / floor joint & it didn't look too bad. The original floor and carpet was left up under the playpen, but not really visible. Looked like it had been that way for a few seasons.

The old floor had several soft spots, but there was enough good wood left that the glue & screws had it bonded pretty good (a real bi!%# to get off). Even though roughly half the stringers and all the cross braces were rotten, the engine mount bolts were still tight with no discernable engine movement or hull flex when test driving. The only outward clue to structural decay was that the helm had sagged in the middle just a tad so that the center windshield didn't close square. After tearing into it, I'm amazed that it was still holding together, but it was. Of course, if any of your engine mounts are no good - all bets are off. Even then, you just never know how long a new floor, old floatation foam, and stringer casings can make up for rotten wood.

devovino
01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Hey here is the link for the wholesaler I have found the cheapest vinyl and foamhttp://www.rochfordsupply.com/ Check out the prices, best I have found.

This is the foam=http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boating_and_Marine/Marine_Foam/Drain_Dry_Foam/index.htm

And there is a slough of vinyl, marine grade I found=
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Vinyl_%28Marine_Grade%29/Marine_Vinyl_-_Closeout/index.html

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Vinyl_%28Marine_Grade%29/Premier_Vinyl/index.html

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Vinyl_%28Marine_Grade%29/Seabrook_Vinyl/index.html

mapleleaf
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Not that I recommend it, buuuuut...

The PO of my Saltare had simply pulled the seat bases, removed the old carpet, glued & screwed new resin coated 1/2" plywood over the existing floor lengthwise from helm to gas tank and flange to flange width of the top cap, and covered with cheap outdoor carpet. A little creative trim along the cap flange / floor joint & it didn't look too bad. The original floor and carpet was left up under the playpen, but not really visible. Looked like it had been that way for a few seasons.

The old floor had several soft spots, but there was enough good wood left that the glue & screws had it bonded pretty good (a real bi!%# to get off). Even though roughly half the stringers and all the cross braces were rotten, the engine mount bolts were still tight with no discernable engine movement or hull flex when test driving. The only outward clue to structural decay was that the helm had sagged in the middle just a tad so that the center windshield didn't close square. After tearing into it, I'm amazed that it was still holding together, but it was. Of course, if any of your engine mounts are no good - all bets are off. Even then, you just never know how long a new floor, old floatation foam, and stringer casings can make up for rotten wood.

OMG, that last paragraph may have just described my boat....Not that I didn't know it was coming....thx Mike lol....