PDA

View Full Version : Tower keeps Cracking HELP!!!

cmtaylor777
01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Hello all.

Have a problem that I could use some help on. Last year I experienced an issue with my tower where the welds at 2 of the uprights cracked. I have no idea why. The only things that I have altered with the tower is that I added a Roswell bar and I tightened the tower at the screws that attach the tower to the boat. Other than that, all is the same. I had the cracks welded after the incident during the summer and thought all was good. A few days ago it cracked again in the same two areas. Not sure why since the boat has been sitting for the last 2 months. Could the freezing weather be the culprit for this incident? I am totally stumped and want to reach out to see if this is a problem that anyone else has experienced.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/vanessarb/NewImage2.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/vanessarb/NewImage.jpg

jet
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
WOW?? Is that the same repaired welding point?? How did you find out they were broke again?

It sure looks like your storage unit people have been taking it out and using the crap out of it? :D

dusty2221
01-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Hahaha, yeah, That's the likely problem. On that note, I'm gonna have to cancel that storage contract.

Imagine my shock when I looked up and saw it!

jet
01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Remember that Miami Vice video remake we were shooting a while back?? Maybe it was the 8' WAVES at Texoma that night?? Hmmm???

dusty2221
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Chad, was the Roswell on your boat when it happened last time?

iwakeboard
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Chad,

I'm with Xtreme, we build all the Supra/Moomba towers, give me a call at 865-981-9898 extension 229. If you could email me a pic of the serial number off the top of your tower I'd appreciate that too, [email protected].

Cody

cmtaylor777
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks cody I will jump right on it. Imagine my surprise when I saw this the first time. No impact...nothing to really cause it,. Just walked out and saw it.

docdrs
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Thats awesome......a 90 minute turn around from post to answer........props to Cody at Extreme Tower Products XTP

87SunSportMikeyD
01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
iWakeboard - AWESOME ! Thanks for being here!!!!

cmtaylor777
01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Just to follow up on that note... Cody has been awesome. He reached out to me as a true business man should. I have had some very bad experiences with some businesses but Cody jumped right on this and has been more than helpful. If all of the employees at Extreme Tower Products XTP are this way, I am buying stock. I will definately be paying this one forward.

In addition...this site is what allows this to happen. I have had great feedback from the people on this siite and I only hope we can keep it going.

Cody... You da Man!!!

iwakeboard
01-19-2011, 07:42 AM
No problem at all Chad, glad to help and thanks for the kind words guys. I replied to your email and I'll follow up with you after my production meeting today.

stinky_1
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Not sure if you will be getting your tower replaced or if you will need another repair. I would suggest you go to a different welder next time. It looks like his method for the repair is correct, but it looks like he isnt very good at welding. I cant even see where the bead of the weld would have been. So he either ground it all off after he was done, and this is why it broke again. Or he had no penetration on the surfaces he was trying to fuse together.

I cant say why it broke in the first place, but I can see why it broke again in the same place. The repair was not good enough.

On a side note, I have heard of people having their welds crack on SeaDoo boats over the span of a couple years. And aluminum is a very hard material to weld correctly. I can weld stainless and black steal all day, but Aluminum is another story.