PDA

View Full Version : First inboard question

rainman
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a question for all don't know alot about Supra's but a local boat dealer in my area has a 1989 supra Bravura for sale about 600 hours for 8500. Tried to load pics I have in email, but aren't working for some reason. Question I have is I can't find much on the web on this boat, but if loaded correctly would this boat be good for wakeboarding?

sybrmike
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the board, Rainman.

The Bravura was a closed bow version of the Mariah. A little longer, but not as deep (36" vs 48" amidship) as the Sunsport/Marauder that's so sought after by those wanting to add ballast. But with a closed bow, weighting one down & taking a wave over the nose isn't as big a deal. Others with more experience with the Mariah/Bravura will be able to speak better as to its wakeboardability.

600 hours should be no problem on a boat engine, but 89 vintage means wooden stringers/floor so make sure you check that out real good (especially at 8500).

edgewater1
01-21-2011, 05:49 PM
sounds like a good boat, al ot of supra's were built to wake board before they knew what wake boarding was:
My advice to you
1. Test the stringers, no matter what the dealer says!!!!!!!!!
2. Take it for a long test run, i mean 30-40 mins easy, really push it, if it does not preform to your expectation, question the dealer?
3. look around the engine is it rusty?, is there oil in the bilge?
4. Low ball offer, and counter offer " the worst he can say is no!

where are u located?
was it run in salt water?, thats take a ton of money off the value of the boat, Was the bottom painted?,
has the engine been rebuilt?
how is the interior? Is the trailer Rusted?, usually that takes up to 1000 dollars off the price of a boat, because they are custom trailer, and a replacement trailers are not cheap.
Thats what i stated with when i was buying my boat,
My final thought-"The price listed is only the asking price.!"
Good luck hope you get her

rainman
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I just moved to Wisconsin from NC and had many friends with boats, Unfortunatly the season here is so short I don't want to go crazy on a boat yet, as I plan to only be here about two years. I hear a lot about the sunsport being the boat to go with for wakeboarding, is there going to be a big difference in wake distrabution between the two?

Okie Boarder
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
haugy pops in here every once in a while and he could speak very well to the Mariah...that's what he has. IIRC he runs 600# or so of weight and gets a good wake. I would agree on the fact the closed bow could help you because you wouldn't be as worried about dipping the nose or taking a wave over the bow.

Definitely heed edgewater's advice. Make sure you sake it out really good and inspect as much as you can. If you start browsing through threads on here you will see that most of the Supras of that age have been rebuilt, are being rebuilt or need to be rebuilt due to rot issues.

wotan2525
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Rainman -- Where in wisconsin are you?

If you're buying the boat for wakeboarding, keep looking. If you're buying the boat for short-term, keep looking.

These boats have a low-freeboard. Can you wakeboard on it? Yes. Is it going to be as good as a sunsport? Not even close. Can you surf on it? QUESTIONABLE! You can find sunsports in that price range that have already been restored or have loads of extras included.... keep looking! There are TONS of buys out there right now if you are patient and able to travel a bit to pick something up.

The other issue with this boat, is that if you are going to sell it in 2-3 years you're going to take a beating. Closed bows are very, very tough to sell and will not hold their value as well.

The last issue is the stringers -- At this point, knowing what I know about the supras from this board, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a pre-1992 Supra without budgeting/planning/understanding and being prepared to replace the stringers within the next 3 years. It's reality and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

Keep looking. Your budget is reasonable for a first inboard boat. Look for a ski nautique 2001 or a restored SunSport. Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions!

rainman
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I live by green bay in appleton exactly, know any good spots around here. I could go after 93 but looking at many of them it seems to be same hull so you take the chance now or pay the extra to insure no rot.

I know this may be a touchy subject but is sunsport more preferable to nautique 2001?

rainman
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I will load a few pics here any help would be helpfull, from talking it sounds like for the same price I should find a sunsport

rainman
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
more pics of the boat

Okie Boarder
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Looks like it is in decent shape and it does have a tower already, but that price is still pretty high. I wouldn't go any higher than about $6000 if the stringers are good enough to hold up a few years. If it is ready for a stringer job, I'd want to knock a couple grand more off the price. I think a Sunsport would be better, especially if you want to do a fair amount of wakeboarding or surfing.

stinky_1
01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
My standard advice to anyone looking for a boat to do any kind of wake sport is to stay away from closed bows. This boat is no exception.

The price is too high for what you are getting. There are a lot of good boats you can get in that range. If this boat was $4000 - $5000 then maybe, but even then I would say to hold out for a sunsport instead. I gave that advice to the last guy that asked on hear and he ended up snagging a great condition one for a tad over $3000. I hope he chimes in, I dont think he is unhappy he had his mind changed.

BigCity444
01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
On the opinion of the Mariah, it's a great hull for many water sports. Sure you can wakeboard and some of us do attempt to surf but the boat is at home cruising at 34+. I slalom, barefoot, wakeboard (I'm not good) and tow the kids around with an open bow. If you want to surf and load the boat with weight, take the previous posters advice.

whelchel86
01-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Too much for not enough. Hold out for something better. If you wait, which sucks, you will definitely find a better deal that was worth waiting for. I've learned the hard way in the past and now prefer to come out on top the patient way.

jet
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Im staying out of this one, lol.

p.s. that price is way too high.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
It looks like it's in good condition, but you have to be able to see it in person to check floor and stringers. Cant say I care for the tower, and closed bow is a PITA - the open bow models have very large spacious bow with tons of storage underneath.

Also you MUST MUST MUST get the engine compression tested as a condition of purchase. I know it sounds like a lot of work but the good boats are out there and it will save you thousands versus overpaying and needing a new engine.

My advice would be to hold out for the SunSport of Saltare. They are SO roomy. You wont regret it!! Yes the SN2001's are nice too but they are MUCH smaller and lower to the water and there is almost no storage. This means sacs on the floor and seating for 3.

stinky_1
01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I think the purchase suggestions should be preceeded by a couple options.

If your choice is between this and a SN2001, then this boat will be better. Simply because it is longer and has more storage. the wake on the SN2001 will be arguably better, but if your looking at this boat in the first place we have to get serious and realize you are not interested in the best wake for a budget. There are MANY other boats out there that will make a better wake on the same budget.

If your choice is between this and a sunsport then I would recommend the sunsport. Simply for the open bow, the storage space and the wake.

If your choice is between this and any other open bow supra I would recommend the open bow version. In most cases you will like having it. Or regret not having it.

I see people often refer to a closed bow being safer for not taking on water. I am curious to know who is arriving at this conclusion? I had a closed bow ski Nautique for the past two years. What happens is your bow goes under the water as your cross your SECOND wake when you are turning around to pick up a fallen rider. Because it is under the water very very far it scoops up onto the bow. Then as your boat rides UP that same roller all the water on the bow falls backwards and hits your window. As it hits the window it gets thrown into the air with a lot of force and everyone in your entire boat gets showered with the water.

Do the same thing in an open bow and you will get some water come in over the front, then ride along the floor to the back. This gets everyone's feet wet and the stuff you store on the floor.

The next option is to learn how to drive, because either boat will get water in if your drive like a fool. Closed bow is NOT a drier ride in my own experience.

Not to mention the lack of freeboard will have the water splashing back on everyone if there is any wind to it. The nautique was a very very wet ride in anything more than calm water.

jet
01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Stinky!! The water over the bow only applies to rookie drivers. : )) I havent had a wake over the bow (I have had a few) in years since I learned how to drive a wakeboat properly and thats running 1700-2200 lbs in it and not a drop.

p.s. I made a video to show people how to drive a boat with that much weight in it. I need to post it!

stinky_1
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
You are absolutely correct. I find comfort knowing that everyone learns that one the hard way. This way I can still sleep at night

My point is though, once you learn how to drive having open or closed bow makes little difference to the amount of water that gets in the boat

It's really too bad jet that your running a closed bow. You would make a great advocate for the open bow movement:)

jet
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah..lets all not forget Its about being on the water and having fun..not what kind of boat do you have. If you had NO boat and your friend asked you to go to the lake, your answer would be where and when..not, what kind of boat do you have. It only becomes important wants you start looking at the wakeboarding fourms. lol

stinky_1
01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I bought this boat for $1200 as my first boat ever.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/stinky_11/Boat/IMG_7932.jpg

I didnt care at all about how it looked, or how we looked riding behind it. the point was to be on the water......

If the OP was asking about buying a boat for $1500 this would be a totally different story. Since he is prepared to dump $8000 (or close to it) down on this boat I think it is important for us to point out that there is a pretty big market in that price range. And it may not be the best fit for him, with the money he is spending.

At the end of the day he will LOVE any boat that he gets. I loved my Nautique for the first year. It wasnt until later that I started to realize all these things that I would have like to have. For example and open bow. If I can save the OP the hassle, and make him at least question what it is he thinks he wants in a boat, then I think this forum has served its purpose.

it is too bad that there are people from both camps on here. And there are certainly benefits to a closed bow. I hope jet (and others) who own such boats are not offended by me recommending something else. I bought an open bow boat because It fits what I needed better than a closed bow. Jet gets along just fine with his closed bow.

I think we can both agree though, this boat is not the right boat for what the OP seems to be looking for.

jet
01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
No worries mate. why did you post a picture of a dingy?? lol. Lets sac it out!!

jsandy
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
i would be the guy stinky is refering to. i took there advice shoped around and was very patient and scored a great boat.

mapleleaf
01-29-2011, 12:22 AM
i would be the guy stinky is refering to. i took there advice shoped around and was very patient and scored a great boat.

Ya, I agree, pretty sure you scored a great boat and a great tower deal, will be waiting to see what you do with it...