PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please 85 Sunsport

JMD1
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
OK I would like some opinions please.
Roughly 1 year ago I picked up a 1988 Correct Craft Barefoot Nautique that needed to be overhauled stringers interior I really like these boats and was looking for one specifically ,but then a summer went by and my kids really got to like water skiing (first season for them) And after lurking hear I’m second guessing that this boat is what I really want. The boat is not done.

After messing with it for a year I have; gutted it and purchesed few materials for the stringers. The motor was supposed to be usable and big surprise it needs a complete re-ring /rebuild job. The boat also has no interior. I don’t regret buying the boat just that after researching more I feel I over paid a bit and it may not fit the bill. Cut bait?

Part out, sell or stick in the back of the barn and work on it later? I still like the boat.

I have been looking hear and found that the SunSport looks to be a nice boat for family skiing. My two teenage kids have really gotten in to wake boarding as well as myself.

The boat that I’m looking at is a 1985 Sun Sport Skier needs stringers and floor. The interior is very useable a few years left at least.

So here is what is rolling around in my head………..

Boat Im looking at 1985 Sun Sport open bow For $1500 complete with trailer needs stringers floor 351 PCM 480 ish hrs.

Boat I own; 1988 Correct Craft Barefoot Nautique paid $1800 with trailer needs engine rebuild 454 PCM 1700 hrs, stringers and interior. I have the stringer material and a driver seat frame no fabric upholstery

I feel that the Sun Sport will be much cheaper to get on the water than the Correct Craft.
I now everyone on hear will be biased but thought it would be nice to get like-minded feedback. On my conundrum

I have barefooted behind the same year barefoot boat but never skied behind either boat. What are the skis wakes like behind a Sun Sport?

A little about me I’m a hands on guy like to build/ repair equipment I do as much of the work myself, Engine rebuilds, stringer repair ect. I have done a few small stringer patch jobs and boat repairs ect. as well as built 4x4 Rock Crawlers tube cars from scratch.

Jack of all trade defiantly not a master of any of them LOL

Sorry for the long winded post
Thanks in advance Jeff
Pics of sun sport soon looked at it today 1-22-11

JMD1
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
The Badge reads Sun Sport Skier ?
I didn ot get pics of the engine cover or rear seat.But they are in good shape.

oldman
01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
What is your time frame to have either boat on the water?

mapleleaf
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Lots to think about for sure, that Sunsport, for its age, looks pretty well kept.( except the inevitable stringer job) I'd say the SS is back on the water for less than the CC.

JMD1
01-23-2011, 12:15 AM
What is your time frame to have either boat on the water?

Spring of this year. Say skiable first of June.

JMD1
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Lots to think about for sure, that Sunsport, for its age, looks pretty well kept.( except the inevitable stringer job) I'd say the SS is back on the water for less than the CC.

Thats what got me thinking they both need stringers.The CC is gutted clean right now and the I have to pull crank and pistond and send it out the machine shop.I could start rebulding the CC motor in a week.

Are the BFNs wakes that bad for wake boarding/surfing (beginers)

michael hunter
01-23-2011, 10:14 AM
The barefoot hull is not set up for skiing it has more of a V shape and is designed for pulling bare footers at higher speeds. The Sunsport will work for recreational skiing only . The Sunsport is more like a inboard runabout it does everything OK but doesn't excel in any one sport. Both will be more like survival skiing but your kids are young they can handle it. If you want a true ski boat the Comp is what you want. For your Correct Craft go to Correct Craft Fan forum they are very knowledgeable on rebuilding CCs.

oldman
01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Thats what got me thinking they both need stringers.The CC is gutted clean right now and the I have to pull crank and pistond and send it out the machine shop.I could start rebulding the CC motor in a week.

Are the BFNs wakes that bad for wake boarding/surfing (beginers)

The BFN puts out a great wake for wakeboarding and you don't have to worry about enough power when weighted. You might want the space of the sunsport, more family friendly. You didn't pay to much for either boat, but both need and deserve a complete restore and rebuild. My concern would be do you have enough time to do all the work yourself. There is so much detail in these boats, especially when you do a quality job. I'm doing a partial rebuild on my sunsport and all the little things that come up take a ton of time. Imo is all about being on the water with your family. Maybe you could find a boat that didn't need stringers, but only engine and other small stuff you could easily do buy June. Or break open the bank and pay the pros to "geter" done. I sure don't want to miss any time on the water, spring will be here soon!

beast 496
01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Here is what I would do, since I am biased toward Supras, repair the stringers in the sunsport, get it ready for summer. As time permits, rebuild that BB 454 and after completion, install BB 454 and tranny into supra. This would basically give you a open bowed BEAST version. The Hull is exactly the same from closed bow to open bow in the years we have. As for the Correct craft save that project for another day. Al

stinky_1
01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
So, I will be as unbiased as possible for you.

I owned a 77 Ski Nautique for the past 2 years. It is an exceptional wake boarding boat. Your hull will be similar to what I ran. I had no problem going wake to wake with it. There is very very little space on those boats. I pulled all the original seats out and built bench seats for everywhere. that allowed me to have storage space, hide a couple sacs and still have room for everyone.

At the end of the day I sold my Nautique to buy a sunsport. It was the next step up for me. Not only are they a LOT longer, they are much wider with more freeboard. I have 6 children all under 10 years old. We needed space. The closed bow did not cut it for us. I expect the unloaded wake to be about the same between both boats. The nautique has a steep wake though. So steep that it makes for some abrupt airs. The new Nautiques still have this steeper wake. Its not a problem, just different.

In the evolution of things you will notice that all boats from back in the day were closed bow. Now you have a hard time finding them like that. You have 1/3rd of the boat dedicated to nothing at all.

I say if you are in a position where you have the cash to buy that supra, then go for it. Get it out on the water now and spend the rainy days fixing the nautique. When its up and running then you can try them both out and see which you like. Me personally, I would sell the nautique as a project to someone else and try to get as much back as you can. They have not held their re-sale as much as a rebuilt sunsport has. If you had the SN2001 this would be a different story.

This is just my opinion, your values may be different than mine. If you like less room, less length, a bit more power, similar wake and no storage - then go for the Nautique and forget about the supra

If you have the money lying around and you like more space, more storage, similar wake - then go for the supra.

DAFF
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Keep looking.... Try to find a boat that is more turn key. Sometimes it is cheaper to pay more off the get go..... By the time you convert stringers and floor plus interior add 3-5 thousand.

stinky_1
01-24-2011, 10:13 AM
$1500 for a boat in that shape is not a bad price. Even after a stringer job if done by himself will put him well under $5000.

I would try to get that boat for less though. Maybe start at $250 and remind the guy you are doing him the favor by getting it out of his driveway/yard. Even if you have to pay the full $1500 though I dont think its a bad price.

I am in to mine for $3600 so far and expect to be doing a stringer job in a couple years.

wotan2525
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
The SunSport will also be worth more once it is fixed... I say cut-bait on the Nautique and rebuild the SunSport to what you want. It will be a much better wakeboard boat and (more importantly) more comfortable to spend the day on.

sybrmike
01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Like oldman said, don't underestimate all that's involved rebuilding either one. It takes a lot of time to DIY or a lot of $ to have the pros do it. I think you're in the ballpark on pricing (but never hurts to try lower) since that's about what I got into mine for.

Spring is rapidly approaching, so figure out just exactly what all you want to accomplish & set a schedule and budget. All the "while I'm here, I might as well..."'s can really add time and $. I've been DIYing mine for a year now (work, life, wife, & kids still take priority), but redoing just about everything. They don't make big direct drives anymore, but that's what I wanted, so it's worth it to me. Everyone's different, so determine what'll make you & the family happy & make it happen.