PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Supra Comp Stringer Questions...

greenhead84
02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
As I have read on here, loads of people have this issue. I was interested in y'alls opinions. I am going to replace the stringers and I found an outfit that will do it for 2400 bucks. I'm trying to see what this boat will be worth after I make all the necessary stringer repairs. I know its all in the eyes of the beholder, but just seeing if I would be able to recoup the money I will inevitably put back into this boat. So at the moment, I have 4500.00 bucks in the boat and the stringer replacement will be 2400.00 bucks. That's 7000.00. Will the boat be worth that and are there any other hidden potential issues that I should address other than engine and tranny issues prior to replacing the rotten stringers and floor?
Thanks

I included some pictures of the boat, the upholstery is original with no signs of distress or rot in the upholstery wood.

wotan2525
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
The boat looks like it's in great shape! $2400 is a STEAAAAL! To be perfectly honest, I think $2400 is about the material cost it would take for you to do it yourself. I'm not sure I'd trust that figure (but hopefully it's accurate!)

I think the boat would be worth $7000 - $8500 when it's finished. It looks really clean and well cared for.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is that it's probably worth farrr less than $4500 if you don't repair the stringers.

sybrmike
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't follow Comp pricing, so can't really comment on resale value. However, 2400 is CHEAP, to the point I'd really question what's included at that price. If it is indeed for a complete cap-off, replacement of full length of stringers, cross braces, foam, floor, etc. - it's steal & I'd jump on it. Inspect and take pictures during the process as proof to future buyers & that'll help resale value down the road. If it's just a partial patch job, much less likely to recoup costs.

Unless you do a lot of DIY & consider your time free, rarely will you be able to recover all your costs rebuilding an older boat. However, if you use it a bunch & then sell it in a few years for 1000 less than you put into it - that's pretty cheap "cost of entertainment" (plus fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.).

jet
02-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Its still cheaper than a therapist. lol

rludtke
02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree with all of the preceding posts, especially Jets! :D

Your boat in my market is probably worth 5-7K as is. If you intend to keep it and use it, the new stringers will allow you years of additional service, which offsets the concern about resale value after completeing the repairs- you may be slightly backwards at first, but over time your usage will amortize the investment out in fun.
If the estimate is valid, I wouldn't hesitate.
Cheers,

jet
02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I pd $12,500 for mine back in the 90's and could maybe get $8000-$10,000 for it today. WAY worth it!! Now haven said that, I wont tell you about the OTHER $20,000!!! I have thrown at (props, shafts, towers, on..on..) it during that time also. Thats the part you have to not think about or it will :cry: burn you up. Thats the difference between BOAT people (people who get it) and others who buy a boat and bitch everytime it needs something and then lets it dry-wet rot sitting out in the sun at some boat storage place. 3 years ago I had $10,000 damage on my wifes car and $2500 damage to my Jeep from a LARGE hail storm that hit our house, all do to the BOAT being in the garage. That's love man. :D Love you honey.

I still hear about that one about once or twice a year. lol