PDA

View Full Version : Jeeps

Okie Boarder
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
My wife and I are thinking about getting an old Jeep in the next couple of years. The idea would be to involve our boys in fixing it up and it would be the vehicle they get to drive while finishing high school.

What years and styles should I be looking at?

What kind of money should I expect to spend?

How much project time should I consider allowing to get it fixed up and ready for driving?

Mani
02-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Some more info would be great. I did the whole keeping thing for years. Just as with boating you can go expensive or cheap. I built my jeep YJ on a shoestring budget in the driveway, by taking my time to find a deal and learning how to do everything myself. I kept up with much better built rigs, and it was fun. Then I knew guys that built their own from the ground up with tube chassis and overpowered drive trains to the tune of six figures.

Do you plan on regularly four wheeling it? Do you want leaf springs or coil springs? Does it have to be fuel injected? If so how many cylinders are you looking for? What's your budget look like? How big do you plan on going?

edgewater1
02-10-2011, 09:21 PM
i have a friend who might be getting rid of his jeep grand Cherokee, its the 4.0 6 and thats about all i know it runs, 4wd works the interior is kinda beat and the audio is terrible , but it would be cheap!!!!
its a mid 90's and its red?

its in annapolis MD, so thats the biggest problem i guess

Okie Boarder
02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Here's a bit more. We would just do some mild off roading. We definitely want a CJ / Wrangler type vehicle with the ability to be topless. We want it to be a fun vehicle we can use as a family and also a daily driver for our boys for school, etc. I wouldn't say I have a whole lot of preference of suspension type or fuel type. I'd be fine whichever way that goes. I think I would prefer having the straight 6 or putting a V8 in one. I'd like to stay at or below a budget of $10,000.

Mani
02-12-2011, 10:40 PM
If you want to go a bit on the inexpensive side go with a YJ (1987-1995) they're leaf sprung with beefier springs than a CJ and they're fuel injected. They're not as desirable because of the square headlights, but I loved my YJ. In 1995 they had beefier front U-joints as well, and they had a family style roll cage from I believe 1993 and up. The CJ is superior in many ways though. It is built sturdier with less plastic. It has a beefier axle in the rear than the YJ and they're available with an AMC V8. The front axle also uses lock out hubs instead of the YJs vacuum system.

All that being said a CJ will be more expensive in equal condition. A good CJ will run $5 to 7K.

Nowadays you can get away with getting a well builtTJ for under $10K. They're equipped with fuel injection and coil springs which are great offroad, and on road. Its truley a massive upgrade vs leafs.

Most important thing for me would be that all YJs and almost all TJs came with a Dana 35c rear end. Toothpick axle that breaks REALLY easily in 4lo. Some TJs came stock with a Dana 44 rear axle which can safely handle 35" tires.

The other thing to pay attention to is your drive line angles when a lift has been installed since wheelbase is so short and stay away from big body lifts and CJ-5s They're worthless.

Its just my humble opinion but I hope it helps.

Okie Boarder
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks! One suggestion from another forum is to get a YJ and swap the front clip to the CJ style.

Mani
02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Just get ready to swap out the rear axle on it. I put a Ford 8.8 from an explorer under mine. They're abundant, there's plenty of aftermarker parts, and they come with the correct width and bolt pattern for Yjs and TJs. I know I'm picky on this axle issue but you'll soon figure out why. I've seen guys snap Dana35c axles with 32" tires backing a loaded small utility trailer into a steep driveway.

dshaff24
04-02-2011, 05:41 AM
personally Id go with a 98+ Tj.. Tehy can be found for around 3k-6k.. Yj's are sweet but bumpy on the roads... If you want the best all around experience with a wrangler i m o its the best year.

dshaff24
04-02-2011, 05:48 AM
why. I've seen guys snap Dana35c axles with 32" tires backing a loaded small utility trailer into a steep driveway.I didn't have a wrangler but ive owned 8 jeep cherokee's.. my woods buggy had a dana 35 in it and I kept it in just to test it and to my surprise it help up really good with 33 mudders and tons of abuse.. Not saying your wrong just saying why it didn't explode was beyound me

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22960871/382531702.jpg

AustinSaltare
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I couldn't agree more...I've been through an '53 M38A-1, '87 YJ, '95 YJ and now have an '03 TJ Rubicon and the Rubi is hands down a better vehicle. The coil springs under the TJ improve the ride tremendously over any of the YJ models and it just seems more stable on and off-road. I have a 13 year old that just drools at the prospect of driving the Rubi to school some day but I'm just not sure it’s a good ride for a newly-licensed teen.

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/AustinSaltare/3613d359.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/AustinSaltare/41faef34.jpg

jet
04-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Okie..Im on my 3rd Jeep suv style 97' I6/Auto (my old boat pullers). The first 2-went 220,000 miles and sold for more than what I paid. The TALL jeep scares me for the young boys (most kids ROLL there 1st vehicle)..so keep it WIDE N LOW instead. But any Jeep will do, and you wont have any problems with $10,000. Stay with the I6 plenty of torque and better fuel mileage. I have mine up to 18-29mpg. See you over at jeepsunlimted.com. lol

Mani
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
As I said before, I'm with ya'll on the TJ idea. Coil springs, Fox shocks, coil overs, etc. can NOT be beat off road.

Dshaff, I ran my 35c for well over 3 years before I finally put the 8.8 under it. I never broke a rear axle shaft, but I finessed my way out of many obstacles. The first serious breakage I ever had was when I went with the 8.8. I thought it was invincible and gassed the heck out of it coming up a big ledge. Snapped front passenger side u joint (ears didn't break, surprisingly) and my rear output shaft.