PDA

View Full Version : how to install new vinyl covers?

TitanTn
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I have new vinyl covers from Supra specifically for my boat. I'm trying to install the new doghouse cover but I'm stumped as to pull the vinyl tight. There MUST be a trick to this! Any ideas? I'm sure someone here has done this before. Would it help if I heated the vinyl somehow? I just can't pull it tight enough to get all the wrinkles out (or even get it perfectly aligned).

jet
02-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes..leave it in the sun for 30 mins or throw it in the dryer for 3-5 mins and work quickly. While Its warm you only want to pull it medium tight, or tighter if Its cold. so once it shrinks Its not to tight. You need to be in the middle so it has room to shrink and grow. Make scence? Think of someone stepping on that cusion, if Its to tight it can tear, if its to loose..it will wrinkel once it streches out in the HOT sun. Jet

TitanTn
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Ahh! The dryer! I had never thought of that. Is this what upholstery people do? Do they have some kind of commercial dryers they use? I have searched the web high and low for tips on installing vinyl and cannot find anything at all. You'd think there'd be plenty of "how tos" on this.

mapleleaf
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Heat gun on low worked great for me...only wish I'd figured that out when I started redoing my interior, now parts are getting "touched up!!!"

jet
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
No they dont use dryers, just a warm shop!. lol. Remember if you warm it up too much then strech it out to much it will shrink up to tight later..do a med pull.

TitanTn
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Ahh... medium. I'll try to find that setting...

greenhead84
02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Are these covers for your 86 Saltare?

TitanTn
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Are these covers for your 86 Saltare?

Yes they are. Is that significant?

greenhead84
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Just curious if I could get the covers for my 88 comp from supra, by the way, did you have to call them to get it?
Thanks

TitanTn
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Ahh. I really don't know if you can still get them from the manufacturer or not. Calling Vince at Viper Customs might be a good way to find out what your options are. I just bought my Saltare last fall and the PO had purchased all new vinyl for the whole boat many years ago. He was slowly replacing pieces and the only two pieces left are the observers seat and the doghouse. So this vinyl is new, but it's been around for a while.

saltare inverts
02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Another trick of the trade is a thin plastic you lay over the piece being wrapped. Upholstery suppliers sell it and its a thin plastic sheeting that makes the vinyl slide and move over corners etc easily. You just leave it there and put on vinyl slide and pull staple and your done.

mapleleaf
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Another trick of the trade is a thin plastic you lay over the piece being wrapped. Upholstery suppliers sell it and its a thin plastic sheeting that makes the vinyl slide and move over corners etc easily. You just leave it there and put on vinyl slide and pull staple and your done.

Another trick would be to get Inverts back here on the forum regularly! Hope the move went well..
BTW Titan, he does great vinyl work.....

TitanTn
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys. I decided to take it to a local upholster. I just want to make sure this comes out right. I've still got to redo my dash, so maybe I'll get another chance to try developing some upholstery skills.