PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite Coex and Broadcast

chrisk
02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Anyone surfed with a 4' 4" Coex or 4' 9" Broadcast and have some feedback?

KG's Supra24
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Broadcast is a great beginner board as well as a great board to have on the boat. I haven't heard much on the coex.

If you search broadcast you are likely to get alot of reviews.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Well there are three size Broadcasts (I think) and they are going to be very different. I have tried the 5'10" and 5'6" and we much preferred the smaller one and got that one. Its still a tank though. The smallest one would be fun to try. But I hear the Coex is where it's at (for a compression molded surfer that is). I have not tried one yet but there is a youtube video of an amatuer who can do 1080 surface spins on his Coex.

chrisk
02-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah I've done the 5' 6" broadcast and it's too big for my skill level, however I'm trying to buy something that's both good enough for what I want, and beginner enough for my buddies that come out with me, or for someone to learn on. I'm thinking the coex might be too sporty for that...

a link to that youtube video would be nice!

05supra24ssv
05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah I've done the 5' 6" broadcast and it's too big for my skill level, however I'm trying to buy something that's both good enough for what I want, and beginner enough for my buddies that come out with me, or for someone to learn on. I'm thinking the coex might be too sporty for that...

a link to that youtube video would be nice!

Ive surfed both the broadcast 5'6" and the Coex 4'4" and the broadcast is straight up a POS. the Coex is badass though, its fast, tracks extremely well with the stock fin and trim the fin down a bit and you got a board capable of spins with ease!

Supra-in-steamboat
05-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Go with the Coex over the Broadcast. I have them all. Broadcasts ride pretty "edgy" to be learner boards, except the Landlock, it like 9ft and round. The other 2 lengths of the Broadcast have a flat bottom, which make them have an "edgy" wakeboard type feel, as opposed to the Coex that has mostly a rounded edge. Here is a pic of the Coex ripping.

CarZin
05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I have to politely disagree on buying a Coex over a Broad for a beginner. I have both. I have a 4'4" Coex and a 5'6" Broad. I only weight 160 pounds, and like my Coex, but it is a much more advanced board and more difficult to ride than the Broad.

For learning, I would get a 5'6" Broad. Everyone on my boat of all sizes has done very well. I havent had a person yet do well on the Coex.

Plus, the Broad will fit in the stock Roswell racks. The Coex will not.

supra 21v
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I have the broadcast 4'9" and i am 6' 210 lbs. I like it better than the coex for beginners. My .02

cmtaylor777
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
My opinion....Try a real wakesurfer. Not one made by the Wakeboard companies. You will like them much better and will not progress out of it as quickly.

Walker project, shredstix or Lakesurfer.

Think there is a bulk buy on here somewhere. Trust me, You will be mucho happier.

wotan2525
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
My opinion....Try a real wakesurfer. Not one made by the Wakeboard companies. You will like them much better and will not progress out of it as quickly.

Walker project, shredstix or Lakesurfer.

Think there is a bulk buy on here somewhere. Trust me, You will be mucho happier.

I disagree. Buy a cheap "beginner" board for your first board. You'll want to upgrade pretty quickly but that board will still be the most used board on the boat as other people come out and want to have success their first time out. I've got a huge quiver and the 5'11" landlock gets used almost every time out.

cmtaylor777
06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I disagree. Buy a cheap "beginner" board for your first board. You'll want to upgrade pretty quickly but that board will still be the most used board on the boat as other people come out and want to have success their first time out. I've got a huge quiver and the 5'11" landlock gets used almost every time out.

Well... I disagree back... LOL

If you think that you need to progress before you buy a better board, I disagree. Really, why start on a board that you know you will out grow. If it is simply for other people on the boat.....I say fend for yourself. I may go buy a cheap board for other people but I feel its a waste of time buying a board that you know you will outgrow. Most of the Ronix and HL boards are still not cheap. For a little more money you can get in on that bulk buy and get a much better board. Even if it's going to eventually be a community board, at least you have a quality board.

I have a Ronix Cortez on the boat that I am not a fan of. I let other people ride it but I hate lugging it around. I feel that once I was introduced to a quality board I realized that anything else just would not do. A lot of people love The broadcast and Ronix boards, but in my opinion, if you have the option for a better board, then take it. Why waste your time and money!!!

wolfeman131
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM

This is the exact situation I set up the LakeWakes Group Buy for! A Broadcast will run you at least $290, so for less than $100 more you can get on a custom-made surf-style board. I think you will end up much happier with the LakeWakes board.

I've had the others and won't go back. Maybe an Inland Surfer Keenan Flegel model will make it in the rack this year, but not another mass produced/wakeboard company one. The LakeWakes 4.8 is an easy rider that can also provide a lot of fun as you get better. I've had much more success getting newbies up on the surf-style boards as they "float" better, IMO.

CarZin
06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Arent those boards foam based? I wouldnt dare use a foam based board for a beginner. Way too fragile. And people dont realize this, and throw them around and dent them.

Just had a friend buy a nice foam based board, and despite everyone treating it like royalty and it staying in a case, we noticed after 2 weeks of riding, there are dents all over it.

You can easily get broadcast and other hyperlites used for cheap. I spent $165 on a brand new coex on sale, and $140 on the used broadcast.

The Squeaky Wheel
06-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I see the pros & cons of the argument, but I lean towards spending more for a better board.

I started on my friends' broadcast surfer and outgrew it after a day or two. If you can get a used one cheaply, it's a good starting point and one that will come in handy while teaching others. These entry level boards are heavy & slow. They are good for learning how to start and for catching the wave, but that's about it.

While more expensive, I'd suggest looking at something like the Inland Surfer mucus which works great for newbies but is not easily outgrown unless you are super skilled and have a world-class wake (which few of us have). Even less expensive is the CWB Razr (which I rode most of last summer).

I agree that it's easier to learn on a "surf style" board than a "skim style".

wolfeman131
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Arent those boards foam based? I wouldnt dare use a foam based board for a beginner. Way too fragile. And people dont realize this, and throw them around and dent them.

Just had a friend buy a nice foam based board, and despite everyone treating it like royalty and it staying in a case, we noticed after 2 weeks of riding, there are dents all over it.

You can easily get broadcast and other hyperlites used for cheap. I spent $165 on a brand new coex on sale, and $140 on the used broadcast.

LakeWakes are foam based but are in no way "fragile." My girls are 9 & 11 and handle their own gear. Not a dent in either board. None of the 4 I own have heel dents and plenty of folks have been taught to surf on them. Some other foam boards use inferior foam cores and less/different cloth material.

There is a reason you can get broadcasts for cheap.

Inland Surfers are fantastic boards. I have a quad fin Blue Lake that I love to ride. But, try and find a new one for less than $400. Simply isn't going to happen.

CarZin
06-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Broadcasts do not use a foam core. They arent cheap boards. But you can get them used at decent prices.