PDA

View Full Version : Trailered Weight 21V?

pap
02-09-2011, 09:03 AM
The online user manual for the 2009 Launch 21V has a blank for the weight!

I've found the boat weight listed as 3800lb but need to know what the stock dual axel trailer weighs (total weight).

Anyone know?

michael hunter
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
1500 lbs is a good place to start.

Diggs
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I always guessed between 1000-1500 lbs, but never really knew the answer. I would like to hear the real answer as well.

tg0824SSVGG
02-09-2011, 08:26 PM
This is from the 2008 owners manual for the 21V:

Boat Specifications:
Overall Length w/o Platform 21’ 2”
Overall Length w/Platform 23’
Overall Length w/Trailer 25’ 2”
Width (Beam) 100”
Draft 25”
Weight - Boat Only 3,400 lbs.
Weight - Boat & Trailer 4,500 lbs.
Capacity - Passenger 13
Capacity - Weight 1,775 lbs.
Capacity - Fuel 40 gals.
Engine 325 HP, MPI V-8

From these 2 lines:

Weight - Boat Only 3,400 lbs.
Weight - Boat & Trailer 4,500 lbs.

I would assume: 1100 lbs

I doubt the trailer changed much between 08 and 09 ...

docdrs
02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, I believe the boat has a 50 gal fuel tank so that could add 400lbs if its full so between 3400 and 3800 for the boat. I would think the trailer would weigh 7-800lbs max but thats just my WAG.

After some review I think I will adjust my WAG to closer to 1100 lbs as above :)

pap
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Well I've seen the boat listed as 3800 so it apparently grew a fair amount from 08 to 09. That makes me wonder if the trailer is the same weight or not. For some strange reason the trailered weights are listed for every other model in the user manual in 09 but not the 21V.

It's an issue to me not not to be guesstimating because I'm about ready to buy one (used) and I have a Honda ridgeline and an Acura MDX both of which have tow ratings at 5000lb. If it's 3800 and the trailer is indeed 1500 then I'm over. From what I've seen and estimated between the 20 and the 22 weights, I figured it would be right at 4800-4900 lb, but I'm baffled why they don't just come out and list it.

I was hoping someone who owns one here and has maybe gone to a scale could actually chime in. Appreciate the input.

This is going to be our family's first boat, but I think if I tell the wife we also need to buy a new vehicle, I'll be sleeping on the couch for a long time.... OTOH I do things the safe way and will not tow if I'm putting myself or others at risk.

A lighter trailer an option?

SupraTTU
02-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Generaly accepted rule of thumb is only tow 80% of max vehicle towing rating. That would put you at 4,000 lb max tow weight. There are several other factors that are in play like wheelbase of tow vehicle (longer the better), how far you are traveling, is it flat or hilly, how fast you will be towing (interstate or back roads) and whether or not there are brakes on both axels.

We just purchsed a new tow vehicle and was looking at the MDX and similar sized SUVs but settled on a Sequioa due to the 7,700 lb towing capacity,

pap
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I understand many people choose to give a safety margin, but from a liability standpoint I want to ensure I'm not left holding the bag if something would happen.

If I'm under the stated weight, then I'm going to see how it tows because I've read from many other ridgeline owners that it will tow 5000lb without any problems at all. I really don't want to buy another truck, because I've test driven them all before and they just don't come close to the day to day driving experience of my ridgeline.

But I do appreciate the advice and have been reading a ton on trailering and safety.

I guess I'll contact supra directly and see if I can get the information.

Diggs
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Will it tow it? Yes
Will you enjoy towing with it? Probably not.

This really depends on where you are and what type of driver you are. The tow capacities are true that it will tow it, but if you live where you will be towing over the mountains you will not get pleasure towing with a ridgeline or and mdx. Just my opinion. I also don't think it is super safe. Your boat and trailer way more than your tow vehicle and can really push you around. Braking is much scarier as well. If I lived in the Midwest or somewhere flat, I would probably put more consideration into a smaller SUV. Not sure where you are.

Rest easy, it will tow it and you will do fine, but in your long term plans you might go to a full size SUV or a pickup. You will have much less stress on yourself cause you can tell they are meant for it and you will have much less stress on your vehicle.....

docdrs
02-10-2011, 07:41 PM
the 21v has a dual axel trailer, my moomba had a single axel trailer and was 1000lbs lighter........the 21v trailers way better than the moomba and the brakes on it are awesome......I would not hesitate to use an MDX to trailer my boat, but then I only trailer a few times a year but it is on the highway up n down hills and all over the place......If your trailering 3000+ miles a year I would get something bigger ie motor and tranny

pap
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I did receive a reply from Supra. They state the trailered weight is 4900lb (no fuel, no gear).

mark1500
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
My buddy had a Ridgeline and bought a Tige Z1(similar size and weight) and after two short tows he sold it for a Nissan Titan. The Ridgeline just didn't have any power with the boat behind it and didn't handle so well either. I pull my 21V with an 09 Ram or 07 Escalade and these both do the job very well.

wolff
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I weight my 07 21v boat and trailer on the a certified scale and it weight about 5000 lb with a full tank of gas and no gear/equipment. We were looking at getting a small SUV and us it to pull the boat on short trips. We end up getting a Tahoe because of the weight of the boat. And if we get into hills the boat lets the Tahoe know it is back there.

jamkit
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I pull my 2007 21v with a 2009 MDX. I usually do not go more than 60 miles 2-3 times a year. It works fine for this. I think if I was pulling it more often and longer distances I would go with a different vehicle.

haugy
02-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I use to pull my Supra Comp with a 4-cyl regular cab ranger. Did it like it, no. Could I go fast, no. But it towed it fine. The ramp was the decision maker. With no weight, or power it was ugly.

Let's just say, using the motor from the Comp to move the Ranger up the ramp was the most hilarious thing I've done in a while.

But this was also when I was young and stupid, now I'm just stupid.