PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel upgrade?

jet
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
As soon as this Stupid weather leaves Im doing my steering wheel upgrade. Besides someone holding the rutter while I loosen the nut, is there any easier way? How did you replace yours?? Any hints?? Jet

and later how did you get the wheel straight-up-n-down again??

mapleleaf
02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
You should be able to do the swap and not effect the alignment of ur wheel, when I did my steering cable I had aligment issues but that had to do with turning the new cable into the helm.
Let's get a look at the new wheel, I need one too!!!
!

jet
02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Well thats a 2nd issue..how did you get your wheel straight after that? I had to pull my cable out also so I could push my big fat sub box into the nose. So my wheel isnt straight already.lol

sybrmike
02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Haven't gotten to that point on my Saltare yet, but I'll try to explain what we did on an old Supreme:

With the steering wheel off & the cable disconnected from the rudder and loose in the clamp block, insert the new cable into the helm & turn lock-to-lock to find the center point.
Then attach the steering wheel as close to straight as possible & then turn until straight.
Now clamp/lock the steering wheel straight now that the cable is close to the center of travel.
Align the rudder straight & & connect the cable to the rudder.
Finally, tighten the clamp block to fix the rudder pivot point.

Most inboards don't drive straight when the rudder is straight. Once you can lake test, simply move the location of the steering tube in the clamp block (with the steering wheel held straight) to trim the rudder whichever direction you need in order for the boat to go straight.

Clear as mud?

mapleleaf
02-09-2011, 07:57 PM
You might want to call Vince at DIM, from what I remember your wheel needs to be at either 9 or 3 and then you start to turn your cable into your helm. I had repeat that a few times before I got mine straight, after a few tries you'll get an idea on the center of the helm's rotations and work the 9 or 3 steering position pre cable install from there...
Does your cable have a quick release from the helm?? this made it a lot easier to "retry"

jet
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Clear as mud..I will use both. Thanks. Its still 16 degrees out but this weekend is 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo!

no, Im not a cowboy.

mapleleaf
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Clear as mud..I will use both. Thanks. Its still 16 degrees out but this weekend is 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo!

no, Im not a cowboy.

Rub it in a little, thinking of boating in April up here!!!!

DAFF
02-11-2011, 05:06 AM
In the south, spring is on your doorstep.... As for us in the north April 15 th is a long time away. G

oing to give some quotes today. First one trucking some snow out of a plaza and another on making some green snow for a green tag sale for a local dealership.