PDA

View Full Version : How Does this 91 Comp Look?

02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
I am new to supras and ski boats in general. grew up with bayliner runabouts. found this supra at a price i can handle figured i would ask for opinions here. i plan on wakevoarding and skiing and relxing all day o the lake in the summer so idk if i should g for a ski boat or just put a tower on a runabout?

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/2205000207.html

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Supras are great for what you're looking for but if you want to wakeboard you should keep your eyes pealed for a SunSport or Saltare. They are much roomier and open bow as well for similar price. Wood floors so make sure you look closely. Get the engine compression tested.

02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
i called and he said there is one palms size soft spot a few feet in front of the engine and it does have an open bow. the thing with this one is it is at a price i can afford w/o needing too much work. he also sent me more pics and it looks pretty good. also any idea what this would weigh? he thought about 2000lbs its a 20 footer

polarbill1999
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
That boat looks pretty neglected to me. I think that boat in near mint condition is only worth 5-7k. The comp has really, really low freeboard, especially at the bow and stern. With an open bow in that boat you would have to be pretty careful with no weight. Add some ballast and that boat could downright scary. Also that boat wont throw a very good wakeboard wake no matter how much ballast you put in it. If you do look at it make sure that you check the floor and stringers as they are wood. Like Mikey said if you are looking for something to wakeboard behind look for the Sunsport. If you like the idea of a small closed bow you would be better off looking for a Nautique 2001. They throw an awesome wake with 1000-1500 in ballast and down't feel scary low to the water.

02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
another thing that plays a huge part is whatever i get has to be small and light i only have a little chevy colorado to pull it with and am not planning on getting anything else for awhile

polarbill1999
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
How far do you tow, at what speeds and any big hills?

02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
i plan on storing it within 10 miles of the lake i will primarily go to. lots of hills i live in the ozarks in MO

crystal waters
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
you are looking at at Supra Conbrio which is essentially a comp with an open bow. It is a little over 20 feet long and weighs approx 2700 lbs. You should have no issues pulling it with your truck.
If it has a soft spot on the floor I would be cautious about further rotting elsewhere, especially the stringers . An expensive repair even if you do it yourself. So is upholstery!
I doubt the engine is 296 H.P. ---suspect more like 240 H. P for that model and motor and year. The prop is not the stock one that came with the boat but that is no big deal!
It can be a "wet" boat in that the nose is low to the water and at idle or slow speed you can potentially take on a bit of water over the bow. Once you have owned the boat you quickly will learn how to negate that problem. I have owned an 89 conbrio since 94 and absolutely love the boat.
However, Looking at the pics you supplied I would pass and look further afield.
Keep in mind that tomorrow you will always find a nicer boat than the one you found today!
good luck!

chrisk
02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey man, I'm the Pres. of Mizzou's Wakeboard and Waterski Team and I can say that from experience having a Supra Comp on the Ozarks, look for something else if you're looking for a family/wakeboard boat. The comp sits wayyyy too low in the water (literally about a foot or less in the back and nose) and is way too light for those rollers you run into out on the ozarks. A decent sun sport is bound to pop up and these guys are right, any boat that has been "sitting there" for 5 years probably has stringer issues or engine problems. Also, it's near impossible to surf a comp, if you ever get into that.

02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks for all the info guys. due to the fact that most the lakes around here get pretty choppy on the weekends i am gonna try to wait it out and find something a litttle deeper

87SunSportMikeyD
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Crap I didnt check this for a few hours and it blew up lol! Ok sorry I dont know how I missed that this one has an open bow that is neat. But I second what polarbill said though about weighting it. If it has a small soft spot that's not a good sign but it's not a sure sign it's rotted out either.

If you're worried about weight, all these boats weight about the same. The thing about these early model Supras is they were made with Kevlar in the hull. They are about 1000 lbs lighter than many other comparable boats. My 87 SS only weighs 1800lbs. At least according to the owners manual. Plus if you're lucky you'll find one with a dual-axle trailer. Those one typically have built in assist brakes.

Another thing to remember is that compared to a trailer like you would see for an I/O (like a roller trailer) is that the boat rides WAY higher off the ground on those trailers. My trailer cradles the boat VERY low to the ground and it's very very stable from side-to-side. With the dual axle and assist brakes it's a dream to trailer compared to any other boat I have trailered.

02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
i did find a sunsport that sounds perfect for me but a little more than i can afford easily at the moment w/o financing some but that may be a good option i am only 20 and need to build credit lol
what do you all think, not much info
http://missouri.findanyboat.com/boats/1989-20ft-supra-sunsport.html

TitanTn
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
That sounds like a decent boat, but you'll really only know after inspecting it. Be sure to check the stringers on any boat made prior to 1992. If there is a problem with the stringers/floor, it can certainly be overcome (just search around this forum) but you'll need to know so the price can be adjusted accordingly.

stinky_1
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Keep in mind that is just their asking price. I would offer them a very serious $3000 and see what they say. Max you should pay on that is $4500 - $5000. If you still need a loan for the boat you may want to look for something cheaper.

But you are headed in the right direction.

smoothfootn
02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I can't see the craigslist ad, but I'm pretty sure that I bought this boat. 1991 Supra Conbrio, red/white. It was in NE Arkansas. Is that the boat? Stay tuned for floor rebuild pics....