PDA

View Full Version : trailer paint?

timski
02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Need to do some touch up painting on some small rust spots on the trailer. Anyone know the color scheme number for a "Red", dual axle 1993 Supra trailer?

mapleleaf
02-12-2011, 11:56 PM
You"re gonna have to get a hold of the manufacturer for a trailer that old. Eagle made my trailer and I've yet to hear back from them in 3 yrs on a few diff. questions I've sent them. Especially the one regarding the bow rest height and why the bow line eyelet continues to get caught on it no matter what water level I try to load/unload the boat at.....

jet
02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, number matching new paint on old paint still doesn't match..time to paint her. use what ever color you like then.

cadunkle
02-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Yep, 93 is gonna be faded. Go to a parts store and find the closest match you can... You'll probably find something close enough that you won't notice unless you're looking for it. If it's bad enough to warrant it, have the whole thing repainted.

timski
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys for the info, will look for the closest paint match, I can get since it just small areas. What is more important today for me, was I got my boat back on the water today. Replaced the propeller, shaft and strut. It ran beautiful on the river today. The river water temp is at 48 degrees. I need to fix my water leak in my drysuit so I can hit the water and do some foiling. I NEED MY WATER TIME FIXX BEHIND THE BOAT!!!:):):)

beast 496
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
With the age of the trailer do yourself a favor and just repaint the whole thing. I use Valspar paint for Implements and tractors. It works great. A gallon of basic red will run you about $40 plus hardener $25 plus reducer $25. For under $100 in paint you can have a new looking trailer. Check out Tractor Supply Co. or TSC. The International red or Massy Fergusson red match really close. The paint is extreamly durable and easy to apply, the flow rate is nice too. Al

timski
02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Al for the info. There's a Tractor Supply company nearby. Will check it out. :)

jet
02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Is that house paint?

Fman
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Need to do some touch up painting on some small rust spots on the trailer. Anyone know the color scheme number for a "Red", dual axle 1993 Supra trailer?

Take a piece of the trailer down to your local automotive paint store and they will be able to computer color match it. Any piece like a spare tire carrier, guidepole, etc.. will work. I did this on my '08 and it was a perfect match and only was about $15 for a small touch up can.

96Comp
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think that Boatmate made trailers for Supra in '93. Probably a Sweet Water Metal Products trailer. My '96 was. They are still in business, but don't make boat trailers. Google them and they might be able to give you a paint code. Other than that, get as close as you can with touch up. I tried the TSC tractor red on mine and it was too bright.

beast 496
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Is that house paint?

No, The Valspar paint I use is a high quality Urithane Enamel paint. The colors are basic, ie, gloss black, gloss white ect. I have painted several trailers and even one sail boat. The paint flows great and lays down smooth. Al

haugy
02-18-2011, 06:22 PM
With the age of the trailer do yourself a favor and just repaint the whole thing. I use Valspar paint for Implements and tractors. It works great. A gallon of basic red will run you about $40 plus hardener $25 plus reducer $25. For under $100 in paint you can have a new looking trailer. Check out Tractor Supply Co. or TSC. The International red or Massy Fergusson red match really close. The paint is extreamly durable and easy to apply, the flow rate is nice too. Al

This. Just grind the old paint off, and then repaint. There are many than can go over old paint, but in my opinion that makes the trailer look cheap as you can see the layers, and many times it will cause failures.

Take a grinder and a 60grit flap disc and about 2 hours of time. Wipe clean with denatured alchohol and then you're good to go.

My trailer was a MasterCraft trailer for a Prostar 190 when I bought my boat. I cut and welded the bow pad to fit my boat, lifted the bunks, and recarpted them. By the time I was done, it became a Supra trailer.

As you can see, the white version didn't fit at the bow rest. So it had to be modified. This is answering the person's question about bow rest fitting. Just cut it, re-weld it in proper place, and go.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/Final1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1040855.jpg

After stripping it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1040869.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050902.jpg