PDA

View Full Version : OK here goes - 89' Supra Comp Floor Resto

jet
02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Was going to fix a few small things and found 1-eng mount bolt loose so here goes. Replaced the floor top 5-6 years ago..time for the stringers now. Everything is still dry and not to bad so just going to do a cap on resto job. May as well tackle auto ballast system, extending my sundeck another 3" for another 100 xtra lbs of ballast and that DIY wedge while Im at it, Maple has me jacked up for it. Jet

mapleleaf
02-13-2011, 11:15 AM
buy some plastic and cover everything in your garage!!!!

jet
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
So thats what dry foam looks like?? lol. Everything is nice and dry and still solid but I had one spot under my passenger seat that was soft, but I just decided Its time to do the whole thing. I wanted to do a drop box for the battery under the drivers seat to offset the driver weight..but my big as bass fishing boat battery is to tall. Where are yalls batteries at? mine is forward on the diver wall in my nose. But Im ready to move them somewhere? Jet

anybody know where I can get a new or used pylon? I had a beer coozy over the bottom of the pylon for the last 6 years, I guess it didnt like corona?

mapleleaf
02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Geez, Andrew I should just bring my boat down there and we'll tag team them. Along with everything else this spring I'm dying to create a new cut out behind the observer for my batteries to offset driver weight, that and the stereo's getting redone so some amp weight over there won't hurt either.
Right now they're in front of the helm and it's too much weight on the driver's side for sure, she's leans something fierce.....
My family's just down the road form St. Mark's Boys School in North Dallas is that close enough?, I'm on my way.....

jet
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Come on down..but theres no room in my garage. lol. Im going to do all kinds of customizing this time. My head is spinning right now. Custom made gunnels with storage and 3 or 4 drink holders on each side with leds and handles..a new custom formed fiber glass dash with built in stereo, new gauges and GPS screen. Battery box w/2-batts and pergo switch by the driver, upgraded steering wheel. Auto ballast system, 1000lbs plus the Wedge!! OH YEAHHH!! Still working on my diy flat bimini top..and on and on. 2nd..Iam also having probs with one side of my wake it just went away one day. found out at the boat show that I have to much cup built into the prop. This factory guy said that Its gripping so much that Its tilting my boat to the drivers side and washing out the other side of the wake, so Im going to have as much cup taken out as I can. Add that to the list.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Good luck bud! You've gone off the deep end now! :) Make sure you out-do knox for most cutout cupholders! jk jk

I didn't know cup to the prop could make it wash like that - intersting.

jet
02-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, very interesting?? If you think about it aliot of BIG 22'-24' boats with 2000lb plus ballast are using this prop. then you have my lil boat using the same one..he says Its just gripping the water to much and torquing the boat which changes my wake. now I need less cup and more weight on passinger side. I was wondering why my toeside wake went away??:confused:

Okie Boarder
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Are you planning to have this ready to go for this season?

jet
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
hope so?? If not I will just ride on Dusty's boat. LMAO. Well finish floor and wedge is on top of the list. Everything else I can do inbetween outings, crossed fingers.

Plus,I have:
Dusty's boat-he want let me close to his new boat.
Chads boat-Free mechanic help
Geoffs boat-Free mechanic help
and wakeboarding church-they have lots of boats to ride on. lol

Salty87
02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
that's amazing that your foam is dry. have you tried digging down to the hull in the deepest part forward of the engine? would be a shame to slap a new floor on if there's moisture trapped in there.

the ski poles are heavy mo-fo's. shipping is out of the question...i think you'd be better off getting another coozie :)

sunken batteries...not enough room on saltares either. there really isn't that much room under the floors in these boats. my batteries are on the spotter side but sub, amps, and my fat butt on the driver side are too much.

good luck...can't wait to see how this ends up.

devovino
02-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Some good times to be had for you here in the near future, knowing some day I will be embarking on a similar journey just as you are, but for now my focus is on interior, trailor, and some ballast for the summer, oh and of course Lamaze and birthing classes (WOW)

One of the beauties of this site is I get to map out the path I will take when the time does come, take tid bits of what others have learned either from jobs well done, mistakes, or trial and error, it makes it easier for the rest of us. I still like the idea of some ballast under floor, built in cup holders in the gunwales, and a myriad of others of things that make my head spin- time and money, time and money, and a labor of love, look forward to personalizing mine as you all have, good luck!

rlhahn
02-15-2011, 07:20 AM
So thats what dry foam looks like?? lol. Everything is nice and dry and still solid but I had one spot under my passenger seat that was soft, but I just decided Its time to do the whole thing. I wanted to do a drop box for the battery under the drivers seat to offset the driver weight..but my big as bass fishing boat battery is to tall. Where are yalls batteries at? mine is forward on the diver wall in my nose. But Im ready to move them somewhere? Jet

anybody know where I can get a new or used pylon? I had a beer coozy over the bottom of the pylon for the last 6 years, I guess it didnt like corona?

You can have mine jet. I'm cutting it off flush with the floor. I have to cut it because it was welded at the plate, and I want it gone. I guess you would have to cut yours and weld mine on though.

rlhahn
02-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Mine is under the passenger seat.

rlhahn
02-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes, very interesting?? If you think about it aliot of BIG 22'-24' boats with 2000lb plus ballast are using this prop. then you have my lil boat using the same one..he says Its just gripping the water to much and torquing the boat which changes my wake. now I need less cup and more weight on passinger side. I was wondering why my toeside wake went away??:confused:

Jet my bud had the same situation with his "one-sided wake". He added another fat sack for a total of 1200#'s, and it helped get the wake back. Mabye that prop just needs some more weight to push.

oldman
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
You can have mine jet. I'm cutting it off flush with the floor. I have to cut it because it was welded at the plate, and I want it gone. I guess you would have to cut yours and weld mine on though.

rlhahn
Most of the time it's aluminum to steel. The aluminum pylon will loosen out of the steel socket. Take out all set screws, spray with oil. Then take a large pipe wrench 2 footer min. 3 or 4 foot better, with a cheater bar. Fasten close to floor and break loose. Heat if necessary. Works like a charm. Don't forget to tape pylon for protection from pipe wrench jaws.

Jet
I also have one from my sunsport.

jet
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Oldman..might hit you up to buy it later. I need to put one back in when I sell her because this boat is such a good slalom boat the next owner might want the boat for that reason.

rlhahn: yeah I always have to even the boat out on the passenger side to match my weight.

rludtke
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
The pylon on my boat is showing signs of the same corrosion. I think is is the result of disimular metals and water (galvonic corrosion, the brakets under the floor are steel). Aluminum extrusions like our pylons can experience this galvonic corrosion running through the material grain, and then exfoliating. Mine is still contained close to the floor, but I am monitoring it.

jet
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
OK, back to work after a 4-day 12-state tour on planes-trains and automobiles (moved my mother-in-law back to tx). My arse still hurts from sitting so long. You can see I have done more customizing. Why cant I leave my boat in stock form, it would be less work. lol

jet
02-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Update pic's. Very dry just a few spots where the factory stapled through the seal to let the water in. Engine is coming out soon. Jet

jet
02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Gas tanks out and driver side floor up now..Its coming along.

mapleleaf
02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
I always wondered why they put carpet in beside the muffler's?? Sound deadener??? Mine sure holds water well.....

jet
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM
yeah that pretty weird??

sybrmike
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
The mufflers on my 89 Salt were carpet wrapped as well - wet & nnaassttyy. Foamless hull & carpetless mufflers - hope she won't be too loud. Guess that's what stereo's are for...

Great job on diving in & good luck getting her back together quickly. Plants are starting to bloom after the freeze, daughter had her feet in the pool - guess it's time to get serious & finish these things!

dusty2221
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Jet, I think you started a little late bud!

jet
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Sybr..question for you. Are the 5"x5"'s engine stringers attached to the main stringer that runs beside it?? I know they are glassed together but how did you attach yours on your new ones? And, whats the best way to cut the old ones off the foor?? Thanks Jet

jet
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
There was a foot of snow out..it was too cold. lol

p.s. your boats running?? right?

sybrmike
02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Typically yes, the solid portion of the engine "blocks" are glassed to the backside of the stringers and the vertical piece of ply that forms the outer edge of the bump out. I say typically because I had no "blocks" - they were hollow! You can build solid blocks by shaving a 6x6 to shape or use a 4x4 and add a layer of plywood. I built mine by stacking layers of plywood and 2x with glass between each layer - tedious, but hell for stout. Cloth, resin, & bedding material (just chopped glass and resin) are all that's holding it all together.

A sawzall (buy lots of blades) and angle grinder with a diamond cut-off wheel worked pretty good for me. Don't forget to leave a little lip of glass from the old stringers for reference.

jet
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Engine coming out this weekend...

TitanTn
03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
To quote Jet: "It don't mean anything without pics!"

jet
03-10-2011, 11:58 PM
lol..there coming. I was sick last weekend.

Ptownkid
03-11-2011, 03:37 AM
I'm sick too....of your excuses! Harrrrrrrrr. JK, but i am looking forward to seeing your progress.

jet
03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Updates!! Who says you need 2-people to pull a engine. Thanks cmtaylor. And it would have been nice if one of you guys told me about the 2-hidden bolts underneath the engine mounts,lol. Guess my stringers are ok, because I almost lifted the whole boat off the driveway and they held! lol.

Okie Boarder
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm loving the "blocks" you set the engine on. How long did they take to fabricate? :p

jet
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
LMAO..thats leftover firewood. lol

jet
12-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Updated pic's.............................................

TitanTn
12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
What happened to the firewood, block mounts pics? They're not showing anymore and I didn't get a chance to make fun...err...applaud you for your ingenuity!

jet
12-20-2011, 10:39 AM
It wont download for some reason. lol

Hagman
12-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I haven’t been on the forum for awhile . Jet I thought you were going to start the rebuild last winter. And did you post a video on face book?

jet
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Well kind-of. It was feb-mar?? lol. Its there staring at me evertime I walk by her, I get that Im mad at you look from her. If Dusty would quit calling me to go to the cable-park I could get some stuff done. lol. Soon man..soon! I have to have it done by Mar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

jet
01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
**UPDATE** Im getting back into her and on task again. Question guys?? Would liquid nails be as good as the peanut butter for holding down the stringers??

bens250ex
01-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Use pl adhesive if your goin that rout. get it at lowes you can get it in big yellow tube for around $7. It's a mess though and doesn't make a good fillet. I liked to use cabosil/epoxy/chop strand. Make great fillets and was easier to work with than pl stuff and strong.

Hagman
01-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I’m thinking that a filler that would cure a like epoxy rather than dry should be used. Because once the fiberglass is applied any curing vipers would trapped .

bens250ex
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I used pl on 2 stringers and after that I said no more. Epoxy mixture was just so much easier to work with

lively
01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
i used PL and it is messy and sticks to everything but . it was 6.89 for the mega tubes and it was easy to use and throw away and allowed me to move stuff around for 30 min

jet
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok what do yall mean by PL and epoxy?? Whats the name brand and where can I get it? I was looking for something that was easy and fast!! So no mail order. Thanks guys

lively
01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
jet- got to home depot , look by the paint section near caulking materials BIG YELLOW TUBE say polyester adhesive PL grade .. i bought it in singles cause of budget , and the bigger ones are worth it , get some throw away gloves too ...

epoxy or poly can be mixed to a peanut butter thickness using glass bubbles , cabosil , small strands of CSM glass and mixed accordingly ... Thus the reason i choose PL - easy , no mixing , hard as a rock !

jet
01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Ok, thanks guys. This helps

jet
02-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, making progress. Have the passenger side done and most of the right side done. I might be PL everything by this weekend?? I keep forgetting to take pictures. Im always listening to my ph music and forget. Pic's to come SOON!!!

jet
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Update pic's.882488258826

jet
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
How many of you can do this?? Thats my lil helper.88318832

lively
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
looking good bub ! looks pretty stout .. you think you will be done by summer ? .. we should meet up sometime at the lake ..

TitanTn
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
So how hard are you able to stay at it? Be ready by summer?

jet
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
She will be water able in 2-months (fingers crossed). lol. Yes, Im building her pretty beefy but only get to work on her 1-2 days a week. you know with all of the interuptions the boat gets what ever is left over time. For sure livley, for sure. Keep your pic's coming to.

Okie Boarder
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
How are you planning to tie the new wood to the existing where you have the seams a little forward of the engine rest areas?

jet
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Not sure yet? Any ideas? I put XTRA (5, instead of 1or2) side supports to add strength.

jet
03-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Man this part is taking a long time. I WANT THE FLOOR TO BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRG!!!

TitanTn
03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Man this part is taking a long time. I WANT THE FLOOR TO BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRG!!!

Hit it hard today! If you can get at least 4 consecutive hours in, you'll be amazed how much progress you'll make. Summer's coming!

Okie Boarder
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Not sure yet? Any ideas? I put XTRA (5, instead of 1or2) side supports to add strength.

I think putting a cross brace right at that seam would help...using a resin to join that seam and then a little extra structural glass right there would probably help, as well.

jet
03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Man Im doing 10-hrs on sat and 10 hrs on sun. Its coming along well but everytime I get in it, I think of something else to do to make it better. HONEY..WHERE'S MY MEDICINE!! I will be VERY happy with my work when i get the floor done and can start moving onto the FUN stuff. It will be like Christmas every day for a month. Yes, I bought that much stuff. LOL.

wspeedin
03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Jet, don't lead us on! Tell us what you got for her :)

jet
03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Update photos. The floor should be done today?? (fingers crossed) I found some water proof sound insulation laying around. lol. Yes, I recycle. I also made the floor to slightly slant to the center so water will flow to the center area or the bilge. 9200

TitanTn
03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
That floor is going to be solid Jet. Lots of bracing. Do you have limber holes in all of them?

lively
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
ha ha ! i love it !! defiantly changes the direction of new and improved !! .. great stuff !!

sybrmike
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Dang, Jet - you coulda just used the old stringers as forms and poured concrete. Would've been almost as strong as the new subfloor and added even more ballast. Looking good & hell for stout.

jet
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Thank guys. Most of it is 2x8 construction with XTRA bracing, cpes, 1/2 thick resin and cloth and metal anchors to connect the old with the new. No limber holes for me, I preffer the locked out (water tight) method. And yes, some kid is missing his playroom floor. I was worried about sound coming through with a hollow hull so I saw my kids floor sitting there (see honey, I told you it would come in handy for something) and I filled the holes with it. Man my fingers hurt, my knees hurt, my calf muscles hurt, I thin even my eye lids hurt. lol

I forgot to add: the outside of the floor was raised 1-2 degrees higher than the inside of the floor so all standing water will slowly flow into the bilge area.

question guys. what are yall using to paint the bilge with? Bilge paint? What OTHER options do we have?? I was thinking about garage floor epoxy that I used in the ice chest? You see any problems with that on the floor?

jet
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I did think about the sand and concrete (ballast) part. lol. i thought about the 1st comp with 3000lb ballast. Oh and sybr, I am now think about driver side rear facing seat for xtra storge (no skis,lol) and more seating now. Thanks for the push.

Okie Boarder
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I used the bilge kote paint. You want to make sure whatever you use will hold up to oil, fuel, etc and remain in place.

Jetlink
03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Dang, Jet - you coulda just used the old stringers as forms and poured concrete. Would've been almost as strong as the new subfloor and added even more ballast. Looking good & hell for stout.Jet is just getting his boat prepared to play bumper boats if needed.

jet
03-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Its funny while your laying glass you think ok 3-layers will be fine, then you start laying the cloth and pretty soon those layers disappear into the resin and you loose count of where you were so you lay more and then all of the sudden your at 5-6 layers thick. lol

86 century
03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Looks like she should be strong.

Are you planing on air droping it or maybe try that jump from the james bond movie.

jet
04-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I like the Bond boat jump. Hmm...lol. Thanks guys

jet
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Shes all wet and pretty much done. i still have a few floor panels to work on but the damn floor is finally done. Im so glad.926592669267

86 century
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Just the 3/4 ply for the deck

I know a guy that can get ply as thick as you want.
To keep the well/over built going you should use 1.5 atleast

Just kidding look real good should out live you this time.

Jetlink
04-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Just the 3/4 ply for the deck

I know a guy that can get ply as thick as you want.
To keep the well/over built going you should use 1.5 atleast

Just kidding look real good should out live you this time.Yeah, he should have probably doubled up the floor thickness or reinforced the frame work under the floor a little more. Might come back to haunt him when he starts playing "Battleship" with the others on the lake.

jet
04-05-2012, 11:15 AM
My hands are so sore. Blisters, cuts, splinters under the skin and I cant get to them, fiberglass cuts, skin peeling off and finger nails peeled back, I cant feel anything with me left thumb due to blister right at the taouch part. I cant wait to get my hands back. lol

p.s. yes, that was with this gloves on.

lively
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
so what do you plan to paint the bilge with ?

jet
04-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Shes done!! Here's some pics lively.

jet
04-08-2012, 11:30 PM
WAHOOOOOO! I just hit 1500 post. Do i win anything?

DAFF
04-08-2012, 11:37 PM
1500 posts= infinite Supra knownledge.... The ol Comp looks great !!

Did you know were are related???? (ie. Mitchell lol)

lively
04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
looking great jet !! now carpet ! keeep it going ... my dead line is may 25th ... im pushing for the finish line !!!

jet
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
oooh, the 25th is a tight deadline?? Im not sure Im going to make that one?? Lots of stereo stuff to redo too.

daff my brotha'. Your a mitchell?? With a comp?? Thats just weird. : )

lively
04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
jet - yeah but if i dont push myself , it will be august before i know it ...

DAFF
04-09-2012, 09:44 PM
The Launch will be ariving tomorow PM :)

jet
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Your new launch??

Gale
04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
What happened to all of your pictures they do not seem to show up anywhere?

jet
04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I know, I think that is a supra site thing. I have asked in the past but dont know why??

Here you can check on my FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/andrewjetm

jet
04-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Engine going in tomorrow?? (fingers crossed on tornados and hail to not show up). Working on my leds now too!!

jet
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Shes going in tomorrow!!94699470

jet
04-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Easy...steady....CAREFUL!! Drop her down slowly..easy..SHES IN!!9477947894799480

Man Im glad that if uffin done.

TitanTn
04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Congrats Jet. I wished I had used such a strap setup when I lifted mine this winter.

jet
04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Thats my diy strap. lol. Make do with what you have, imprivise, get-r-done or jerry-rig!! lol. Thats how I roll. Man Its scary having that much weight swinging around, I had to add my boat batterys to the hoist to weight it down on that end. I am SO GLAD thats done. I built a STRONG DNA floor system. No literally. I have LOTS of skin and blood and a few masquito killers I think their called in that resin. Hands and back are very tired. Now,, on to the fun stuff. Carpet, steering wheel, interior and stereo!!!!

Okie Boarder
04-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Looking good. Wait until you hit the lake the first time. You should notice the difference in how solid the whole boat feels.

jet
04-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey guys, what did yall use around the exhaust pipes going into the floor. I used 3m 5200 but I dont like it there. Its flexable and the paint wont stick to it. ??

Okie Boarder
04-22-2012, 10:23 AM
You have a picture explaining what you're talking about?

TitanTn
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, what did yall use around the exhaust pipes going into the floor. I used 3m 5200 but I dont like it there. Its flexable and the paint wont stick to it. ??

You really shouldn't need much there. Definitely not 5200. Mine had foam from the factory. Any type of sealant that can withstand heat should be fine. It should never see water at that level.

sybrmike
04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
I just crammed some EPDM rubber weatherstripping around the pipes to keep them from banging around in the hole.

jet
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
OK, thanks guys.

jet
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Finished my DIY leds this weekend. Had to finish it so I could get my gas tank back in. The leds seem VERY bright for the price and a GOOD substitute for the $600-$1200 option. No not equal but damn nice for the price. These arent to imprese just give a cool glow underwater.
cost:
$140 8-leds
$2.97 mount plate
$2.99 chrome spray paint
Not bad!!

jet
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
A few more and Ozniums picture of what they look like under water............................................. ..955595569557

wspeedin
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Jet, that last photo from ozniums site is of my buddies boat and a customers of his at the marina where I launch my boat. Those two boats freaking jam out!

jet
04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Man, I wished I knew that. Im still needing some mounting ideas?? I just did a quick fix on this because Its holding up my gas tank going back in. Can you find out anything?? And, how clear is the water there where the picture was taken?? Our water here is a lil muddy and not that clear. Let me know man. How is your boat coming along??

jet
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Got some work done this weekend. Just eneded up going with 3-amps. 96389639

wspeedin
04-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Man, I wished I knew that. Im still needing some mounting ideas?? I just did a quick fix on this because Its holding up my gas tank going back in. Can you find out anything?? And, how clear is the water there where the picture was taken?? Our water here is a lil muddy and not that clear. Let me know man. How is your boat coming along??

Our water here is visible for about a foot and then it gets dark and green. Our lakes are jsut valleys that have been dammed for years.

What he does is just mount them across the transom about a foot apart from each other. He uses the same kind that you got. They light up really well. Just make sure you 5200 the holes that go through the transom. He will be doing mine in a few weeks so I will post up some pics of them when they get done.

The boat! Oh man, I finally got it back from the stringer and floor guy. While the work is done very nicely and definitely structurally sound, I would not tell anybody to go back to this guy. Yes, he did it for next to nothing, but it took him way more time than what was expected. He said he could have it done in a month, turned out to be four months. Whatever though, its all go from here!

jet
05-07-2012, 09:57 AM
More toys going in! The fun part is starting. Yahoo!!97219722

bens250ex
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Jet can you tell me which way your fuel vent is pointing on the side of your hull? I got a ton of water in my tank yesterday and I think it was from the vent being turned the wrong way

jet
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Mine is above the rub-rail on the side of the boat and and some (older models) are below the rub-rail on the back of the boat. Mine points to the back of the boat so If water comes over the rail while moving it wont go straight in. But for xtra protection I also clog mine at the gas station after I fill it up. I take a lil paper towel and tear off a pc and stuff about 6" of it in there with a screw driver. You have to take it out to fill up. The gas vent hose a literally 12' long so if your tank sits in the sun and heats up when its full it will swell and spit it out of the vent, also cornering will make it spit out too so clog it!! There is a vent hose valve made for boats and this problem but it was $99 for the $5 part since it said Marine on it so I passed on buying it. lol. Sounds like you will be pulling your tank now.

bens250ex
05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Yup pulled it yesterday when I got home. Fuel was full of water I am going to re rout the vent

bens250ex
05-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Also how is your rear seat set up ?

TitanTn
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Jet can you tell me which way your fuel vent is pointing on the side of your hull? I got a ton of water in my tank yesterday and I think it was from the vent being turned the wrong way

I replaced my traditional vent with vented cap. So the vent hose routes back to the fill pipe. Any expansion in the heat, or overfill at the pump just dumps fuel back into the tank. No spills over the side. No water in the fuel ever.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=276323&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50632&subdeptNum=50646&classNum=50647

bens250ex
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks Titan I'm going to look at gettin one of those. Loosing 20 gals of gas sucked

jet
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
OK, charging system and battery's up n running. Final pic's977097719772

jet
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Re-did my led's this weekend. Didnt like the way the looked after it was done. After talking more with Mr Speed and looking at the pictures from Oznium, I did like the spread of the lights going all the way across insted of a cluster or a downward blast of light on the other mfr's lights. Im still 1-2 months away from being water ready so I will post up more night time pics another day.9864986598669867

wotan2525
05-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Jet -- What is the purpose of having the onboard charger port at the drivers knee? Shouldn't that plug be on the outside of the boat?

jet
05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Only if you want a big whole drill thru it. lol. Most put it in the back storage compartment but I wanted mine by the driver seat so I can reach over and plug it in and Its by my work bench.

jet
05-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Making progress. The whole system is getting 2-gauge.

jet
05-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Eng-Perko switch (to be changed later) Stereo Dist Blocks-Both Batteries all got 2-gauge cable run to them this weekend. Yes, I stayed home and looked at all of your pictures of YOU out having fun while I was home sweating my Exile balls off. lol. Also got the stereo dist blocks run and amp most of the wiring done. I hate hiding all that nice cable I put together, its to pretty to hide now.

Do I need to upgrade my alt wire now?? Its really puny!

Okie Boarder
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice work!

jet
11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Better get back to this thread. UPDATES!!114401144111442

jet
11-01-2012, 02:02 PM

jet
11-01-2012, 02:03 PM

jet
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM

haugy
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
What the hell do you lack on this thing to get it running? I mean a stereo is nice and all, but that doesn't make it run.

And you're only running 0/2 gauge to your amps? Hell, I figured you'd run at least 0/0 gauge to your distribution blocks.

jet
11-01-2012, 02:25 PM
BURNED myself out!! Every day for 10-mo every frickin day. I needed a break. Did not even feel like wakeboarding this year. It scared me I have NEVER not wanted to go boating or boarding. #2. It is 0 to the block and 2/0 to the amps 12" away. #3 Engine and boat really is ready but with no stereo its no fun! lol

jet
11-01-2012, 02:40 PM
And this got in the way too!
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/204846_10151144485224165_1047913925_o.jpg https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/614539_4525718779845_1500643295_o.jpg https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/615030_10151144485159165_185705083_o.jpg https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599535_4401020154431_1296662398_n.jpg

jet
11-01-2012, 02:45 PM

wotan2525
11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I'd throw that prosport in the trash. Those things are total junk.

jet
11-02-2012, 12:02 AM
AND!!

My underwater led install just made the cover of Oznium. Thanks Oznium!!

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

wspeedin
11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey Jet, you know....better be careful on those two wheels! From experience, shit happens in an instance and you cant change it back once its done...boats are more fun than bikes
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/RSView.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/FrontView.jpg
the chance always exist tha tyou could end up like this
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/DSCN0500.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/2364_53516789482_4786_n.jpg

haugy
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Screw the bike. I could see why these would take up your time though. :D :D

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/204846_10151144485224165_1047913925_o.jpg

suprasam
11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ^^^^^^^, what bike?

jet
11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I will be careful. Im not a stupid rider however I know the threat still exists. No wheelies or beer drinking like I see a lot of guys do. Is that how you ended up in your wheelchair?

Jetlink
11-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I thought Will ended up in a crash because some lady pulled out in front of him, something about the sun was behind him and she didn't see him when she pulled out in front of him.

wspeedin
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Jetlink is correct! It doesnt take being a stupid rider to end up in an accident. I was a safe rider, but that doesnt change the fact that a bike is damn near invisible to every driver on the road! Especially those drivers who drive big vehicles or are women, lol. (sorry ladies)

jet
11-05-2012, 11:14 PM
lol....................................

jet
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Updates!! 1169411695116961169711698

jet
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
11699 Last one............................................... ......................

wotan2525
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Hopefully this hits the water in 2014!

TitanTn
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Hopefully this hits the water in 2014!

Seriously Jet! I don't know what you've been doing, but you're getting close and it's time to hit it hard down the home-stretch.

jet
01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
LOL..yes it will! #1 I got burned out, #2 family and business got very busy and #3 I got one of these.11700

Hagman
01-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Jet you are doing a fine job one the boat. Why ,because you love it. Keep up the good work you’re almost dun.
Be careful on the bike. 7 years ago about the first of June the neighbors dog ran in front of me from behind a parked car. I was going less than 20. I woke up 30 min. later in the middle of the street with 7 ribs & a collar bone broken. (NO skiing for me that year.) It wasn’t the bike it was the dog. I still ride.

duckseatfree
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Jet -

What did you use for your stringers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk 2

jet
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks Hagman for the kind words. Yes, I do love her and wakeboarding and I will get her done.
@ duckseatfree- just used reg wood 2x8's cut down to fit.

jet
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
New updates!! 11806118071180811809

jet
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
My ski pylon was welded in its socket, by the electrolicas?? flowing thru the boat. How am I ever going to get the bottom out now?? I almost think it would be easier to find a used one somewhere else. Any ideas?? I want to put one back in for xtra structure and it make a nice handle for the beauties that sit up there. They hold it like its a pony!! lol

jet
02-23-2013, 07:19 PM
More progress. Why do I care if my gas tank is shiny or not? I spent a hour rubbing and buffing my gas tank. Where is my medicine?

Hagman
02-24-2013, 02:15 AM
11822A shinny gas tank matters. While it's apart clean it.11821

sybrmike
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes, when in doubt - medicate. Although, did you bother to wax it like I did mine? Doc says I'm much better now...

Good to see you making progress again.

TitanTn
02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Doc says I'm much better now...

I think we need to see the credentials of this "Doc."

Supra_Comp
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Jet

Great looking build. I'm jut starting my Comp but I have to ask....the foam pieces you put in between the stringers...do those not absorb water if they get wet?

jet
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Hag nice eng man. Ooooooo! fuel injection. I didnt think about waxing, I think I will. The foam pcs are actually rubber so no need to worry about absorbing water. Thanks guys

jet
04-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey guys! What's the best way to form, glue and holds down the edges of the carpet on the floor panels??

TitanTn
04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Hey guys! What's the best way to form, glue and holds down the edges of the carpet on the floor panels??

I'm not sure exactly which panels you're talking about, but you could glue down the flat part really well and let that dry before wrapping and glueing more. That should at least keep the front of the panel smooth and pucker free.

jet
07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Its alive...its alive!!!

jet
08-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Anybody know how to take the judges seat out?? It must have some secret screws somewhere I cant see??

jet
01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
^^^Bump. Anybody??

jet
01-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I told you it was alive!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202398859843602&set=vb.1556382128&type=2&theater

TitanTn
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
I told you it was alive!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202398859843602&set=vb.1556382128&type=2&theater

Congrats! And welcome back! I haven't seen you around much lately.

jet
01-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Thank you Titan.

mapleleaf
01-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Inside the gunnel there's a through bolt held by a jam nut in the seats ply, I got at the nut through the speaker cut out...

jet
01-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Thanks Mapleleaf. Hows it going up there? What about the other side?? think theres one in there too?

jet
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Im back!! Anybody know how to activate the old pic's on here to show?? Here's my facebook link for updated boat pic's. I will be back at it as soon as I get out of this! 15486

TitanTn
02-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Im back!! Anybody know how to activate the old pic's on here to show?? Here's my facebook link for updated boat pic's. I will be back at it as soon as I get out of this! 15486

I wondered what had happened to you! Still up to trouble I see. Give us an update as to the status of your boat.

jet
02-16-2015, 05:56 PM
Good to see you again. My marriage sank, no pun intended. so I had to do some rebuilding on my own self which slowed the boat to nothing. lol. But the engine is in and running and stereo is in and all of the tower is done now. Shes still in dry dock and 90% done but put on the shelf again from my Christmas snowboarding accident. LOL

Update photos: https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/media_set?set=a.3631761923456.2160503.1556382128&type=3

TitanTn
02-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Sorry Jet. That's sad news. I wish you the best outcome possible.

It's good to see where you are on the boat project. It's looking really close and very solid. That seat base is serious business.

jet
02-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Thank you my friend! I traded up! Younger, nicer and prettier! 15490

TitanTn
02-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Now I'm confused! Are we talking about the car? :D

jet
12-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Its been a long time not being on here or working on my boat but Im back and work has started. Need to finish my last 10% of my restoration. Good to see yall again. Jet

TitanTn
01-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Its been a long time not being on here or working on my boat but Im back and work has started. Need to finish my last 10% of my restoration. Good to see yall again. Jet

Well, nothing has changed really.... Pics or it didn't happen.

jet
01-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Hey Titan! You still on here. lol. Good to see you my friend.

Hagman
01-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Awesome good to have you back online Jet. Last winter my comp went through a cap off restoration. I solicited two of my best friends who have been skiing behind her since day I brought her home back in 86. I told them you have been skiing behind this boat for over 30 years you owe her a couple weekends. She is really sick need your help. With their help we pulled cap off New Year's weekend and had her ready to go back on the water April 1. I'm really happy with the way the rebuild turned out. Pretty much the only way can tell she got worked on is the new carpet.