PDA

View Full Version : 87 supra comp ts6m...dashboard gauges?

supra87
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
over the summer i bought a 1987 supra comp and the hour meter, horn, cig lighter, and volt gauge do not work. I was wondering if this is a simple fix where I pull the dash off and tighten wires connection? anyone else have similar issues?

thanks in advance,
zak

TitanTn
02-15-2011, 08:33 PM
It's probably not going to just be a tightening issue. You'll have to gain access to each device and using a voltmeter determine if power is getting to each thing. Once you get into it and start tracing wires it'll all start to make sense and you'll figure out if you have a bad ground, bad gauge, or something else.

supra87
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
thanks! i will get into it early spring i just never had a chance because i bought it so late in the summer...i will check them and if they are bad i may rewire each gauge...if am in the right mood lol

oward1202
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
I have an 85 comp with pretty much exactly the same issues. I had an electrical "expert" come and check it out. My biggest issue was that my running lights did not work. After looking it over briefly he cleaned the contact points on the fuse and they worked just like new. (Kinda made me feel silly for calling him on that) But I wanted to make sure they worked before going out that weekend and also relieved that it was that simple. I did the same thing on the rest and replaced with new fuses. I would make sure you replace the fuses because on those glass fuses sometimes you can't tell if they are good or not. They don't always blow in the center where you can see it. Sometimes they lose their connection in side but on the end where it's not visible. (Hope that all makes sense) Start there with the simple stuff and maybe you will luck out also.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

supra87
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I have an 85 comp with pretty much exactly the same issues. I had an electrical "expert" come and check it out. My biggest issue was that my running lights did not work. After looking it over briefly he cleaned the contact points on the fuse and they worked just like new. (Kinda made me feel silly for calling him on that) But I wanted to make sure they worked before going out that weekend and also relieved that it was that simple. I did the same thing on the rest and replaced with new fuses. I would make sure you replace the fuses because on those glass fuses sometimes you can't tell if they are good or not. They don't always blow in the center where you can see it. Sometimes they lose their connection in side but on the end where it's not visible. (Hope that all makes sense) Start there with the simple stuff and maybe you will luck out also.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

wow thank you! i will for sure do this first before pulling the dash and wires apart...if its that simple for me i will be so happy!

oward1202
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Hopefully it will be. Let us know. Good luck:D

jet
02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
lay on your back and look up there with a flashlight. Lots of times they will just pull off the terminal, or they are also share a ground wire so if the ground falls off it will shut a few things down. It is usually simple. Jet