PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Launch SSV

pjc4s
11-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Need some feed back. I purchased a 2004 Launch SSV and noticed that the rudder does not line up directly behind the propeller. The rudder is off to the right about 2-3 inches... Did anyone else notice this??? Or did Skiers choice really mess up my boat???

silvtongdvl
11-29-2004, 09:57 AM
They are all that way - not to worry. :p
~S~

pjc4s
11-29-2004, 10:42 AM
HAve any idea why they off set the rudder?? Thanks..

Jon
11-29-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it is so that they can pull the prop shaft easily if needed.

Brian Raymond
11-30-2004, 11:30 PM
The main reason rudders are offset in ski boats, is, to give the boat pull (rudder torque ) while pulling a rider. This pull is mostly felt at speeds over 30 mph, and gets more intense as the speed goes up. When pulling a skier, it is more driver friendly to drive a straight line down a slalom course with this added pressure. It helps the driver from having to compensate for wake crosses (especially short line skiers). To compare to everyday life, when driving a '77 Chevy Capprice with power steering, one would have to slightly move the wheel back and forth in order to drive a straight line, ( hence a neuteral centered rudder). Then drive a vehicle with power assisted rack steering, where you just aim the wheel and the car goes that way. That is about the best way I can describe it. It is just another feature that helps separate the ski boats from the runabouts, which helps with driveability and handling of the boat. Some people do not like the "pull" of the wheel, dealers are trained in tuning rudders and can have it eliminated. I personally would not drive or purchase a boat without my inboard or Vdrive without that set up. Hope this helps Brian Raymond

12-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the in depth answer I appreciate it...

pjc4s
12-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Bryan. I appreciate it.