PDA

View Full Version : Throttle By Wire System?

Ed Obermeier
12-01-2004, 12:36 AM
MasterCraft has the new throttle-by-wire system with the '05 MCX engine, and I read that Nautique is working on it for their boats as well. Wondering if Supra will be adding a similar system or if they're contemplating it? Anyone at Skiers Choice reading this forum?

Brian Raymond
12-02-2004, 12:35 AM
There is so much expense into the R&D side and first year issues with new and innovative set ups. The Industry is going very hi-tech electronically very fast. Skiers Choice is always on the competetive edge, with the industry turning to that direction, I can see them going that route. Once all the systems have proven themselves, and are tested to be a positive asset to thier owners, and are not going to add much cost to the consumer, I am sure they will at least look at that option. Brian Raymond

Ed Obermeier
12-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Brian,

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate the info.

Cheers, Ed

silvtongdvl
12-03-2004, 06:03 PM
The throttle by wire has been in big 18 wheelers for years now - 10 for sure. I agree the first year problems will be a headache, but once through that - it should be better for all of us !!!!
~S~

kcsideways
01-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Have heard from a couple of MC Tournement Team drivers that it is pretty sweet, but still some issues to work through with the PPass and throttle modules talking to each other. Simple cruise is standard equipment for '05 MC's with the wire system, and that set-up seems to be working very well...simple cruise being adequate for the majority of recreational riders. I think the Supra line is well suited for the application and if it goes forth in the future, it would become more cost effective at some point to incorporate into the Moomba line.

cc-rider
02-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't understand why people would want this throttle by wire. What is wrong with a simple cable? The "bling" and crap people are putting onto these boats is simply not necessary and we, as boat owners, are guilty for paying for it. These boats are going to be nothing but trouble after 5 years. Seriously, is anyone at all bothered by their simple, reliable cable systems?

:) Just thought I'd jerk the chain a bit to see how others felt......

Brian Raymond
02-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately, the "bling" is not something the boat manufacturers want to offer, but have to offer. The marine industry is far behind the automotive, and GM has been awesome in building "old" motors with the help of Indmar. It has come to the point where the marine side will be going more towards the automotive side because it is cheaper. Holley will be a thing of the past shortly, timing lights will no longer be needed(just laptops), look forward to O2 sesors and catalytyc converters in the next 2 years. It is much more cost effective for the marine industry to receive motors equipped from GM with todays technology, than to receive that same motor and take all the hardware off, to install what we see today. We need to embrace and understand this new evolution of motors, it will help reduce costs and insure boaters of better running boats, with additional options (such as simple cruise, more to come) without adding cost to the consumer. Hope this helps. Brian Raymond

cc-rider
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I understand what you are saying Brian.......but you have to be careful about the extraordinary prices of these boats. Someone could buy a house 10 years ago for the price you are selling inboard boats at. Inboard boats always will be for a select few, and I think it is good to keep it that way. But look around on the chat rooms......people are financing their souls to get into one of these boats and then desperately selling them 2 months later. Inboard boats haven't always been for the rich.....someone with a decent salary could easily buy one. But now these things are getting priced into a rich man's wonderland. I find it a bit sad, but I guess that is just my opinion.

If these new engines are more cost effective for you to build, then why aren't the prices dropping? It is because all the manufacturers tout these new features as the latest "got to have" high end item. Though I guess that is just business.......if people are going to continue to buy then why not charge them.....

ilovetrains
03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Just thinking about this, the first I read of a throttle by wire car was Mercedes, about two years ago. Now it is standard equipment in at least one model from all German manufactures, some GM and Japanese as well. The cost must be coming down dramatically.

But what I do not understand is why the marine engine makers stick to the Chevy 350 block. There are a lot of other engines out there that would make more logical choices. I guess the Toyota experiment has scared away any caliberation, but why not a hemi power Supra?

IndyMatt
11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Ive just been curious in regards to RD and engine development; With summer fuel prices as out of control as they are... how long will it be before we see a HO inline v-6 offered? GM is demonstrating efficiency without the significant drop off in low end torque in the Trailbazer/Envoy SUV market?? What about a marine application?

Brian Raymond
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Unfortunately, we like high rpms, torque and load, alot of people and gear and.....ballast. The options of transmission and prop. sizes are devloped through the manufacturers to give the best performance for the model boat, and type of riding. To produce the out of the hole, pull speeds, and on board weight, you will burn some gas. The autos can cruise vacation ready down the hwy. at 70 mph. at 2000-2400rpm, due to the fact they have automatic transmissions. The marine industry can not do that yet with the wants at hand. I forsee better fuel economy in the near future for boats, but it may cost somewhere. Just my $.02 worth. Brian Raymond

04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Back to throttle control. Now that they have it and there are issues.... Are they working on a fix? I have an 06 sunport 24V that has problems keeping speed. Anyone else have suggestions?

Dan Schoenber
04-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Torque is made by cubic inches, which today's ski/wakeboard boats require. Even though you can create a lot of hp off a v6 (HO), you will always jeopardize torque & your boats performance.