PDA

View Full Version : Filler cap removal?

jet
02-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Any tips on getting the filler cap and filler hose off the gas tank? I did it 5-6 years ago but dont remember it being this hard. I can get my hand in there but cant turn my wrist either way?? Jet

mapleleaf
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
done this twice now, swivel headed 1/4" drive socket wrench with a screwgun on the outside, removing the access panel in the rear locker also helped let light in, I forgot, yours is a cooler!
If your gas tank is pretty well empty, take the hose off the bottom, where it meets the tank, and walk your tank out......

jet
02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah, It took me over 1hr to wiggle it 1mm back and forth.:mad:

mapleleaf
02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
torn knuckles.....nice the way the top cap screws are there to "keep" your hand in place.....

oldman
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Any tips on getting the filler cap and filler hose off the gas tank? I did it 5-6 years ago but dont remember it being this hard. I can get my hand in there but cant turn my wrist either way?? Jet

Most of the time, I always cut and replace, there's nothing worse than a old gas hose that breaks down and puts crap in the tank. You can cut them off with a sharp utility knife, just don't cut to hard and deep into the barbed fitting. Nice and easy so you just cut the rubber.

mapleleaf
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Most of the time, I always cut and replace, there's nothing worse than a old gas hose that breaks down and puts crap in the tank. You can cut them off with a sharp utility knife, just don't cut to hard and deep into the barbed fitting. Nice and easy so you just cut the rubber.

Or you can learn the hard way that your old hose leaks gas in the boat when filling up and do it twice......Not that I'd know anything about that....

96Comp
02-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Hey, Jet. While you are back there, can you figure out a way to make the gas fill faster? My Comp fills up reals ssslllllooowwwww. 40 min at the pump gets old!

jzelt
03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
96Comp, That is waayyy too long. Is there a vent line that is clogged?
I know on our old Chap, a spider built a little nest blocking the air vent and the pump would shut off unless you trickled the gas in, then I wiped the vent with my finger which then would fill normal.

wotan2525
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
The vent can also become clogged up with wax or buffing compound. 40 minutes is CRAZY!

jet
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah..your having a vent tube problem..Its clogged somewhere. When you put gas in the tank it pushes air back out and if doesnt go out the vent it comes back up the filler neck which shuts off the gas nozzle. This is a comon problem in the comps. The vent line is only like 12"-15" and when you fill up it will start spraying out the vent hole. Anyone have any ideas on this?? I found 1-fix at overtons?? on a check valve but it was $100!! I also thought about wrapping up 3-4' of vent line in circles but I think gas would get stuck in it and then not vent?? What do yall think? Jet

jet
03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Oh hear is a little trick I do after filling up my boat, I tear off a small piece (2"x6") of gas station paper towel and stick in the vent tube, that way on the drive down to the lake Im not dumping gas all over my boat and the brake light. After changing like 4-brake lights in 4 years I got real tired of that so I came up with this fix, now that I have leds so I dont want that happening anymore. Oh, be sure and take this out on your next fill up or it will take you 45-mins to fill her up. Jet

and Its ok to run your boat with it in the vent tube. TESTED!!