PDA

View Full Version : old sunsport ballast questions

drc007
02-26-2011, 11:47 PM
for those of yall that put a ballast system in your old sunsports what did you go with (Sac sizes,brands, pumps,) everything? im new to the ballast idea and i dont really understand it what i mean is how many water inlets would i need and pumps. i have a 86 sunsport and i want to make it throw the best wake for wakeboarding it can.. can someone please explain the DIY ballast installs or maybe point me in the right direction.

thanks everyone i just bought my sunsport and im trying to get all my ducks in a row ..

stinky_1
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
if you can wait a couple months I will do some pictures of what I end up installing and running. I will not be doing an actual "install", it will just be ballasts stuck wherever they need to be, and a pump thrown over the side of the boat.

I found the best place to look was on ebay for them. Lately they are not as cheap as I got mine for. You may also find some deals on craigslist.

Okie Boarder
02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
There have been a few different approaches used. Mikey is a good source for a Sunsport your age. The late 80's ones are a bit different. Under the rear seat and the ski locker are good choices for rear weight. Some minor adjustments can be made to seat bases and support for the ski locker that will let you fit bags somewhere around 400# each. The front weight can be a little tricky, but you can utilize space under the playpen and even further aft depending on what space you want to give up and your configuration. The amount of space you give up in the front will determine what kind of weight you can get.

Pumps and fittings are going to depend on how you want the system to work and your budget. Do you want to be able to fill all bags at once or one at a time? How much space are you willing to give up to locate pumps and switches?

You'll want to figure those questions out as part of moving forward with your plan.

87SunSportMikeyD
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
PM reply sent :)