PDA

View Full Version : 86 comp fuel problem

ddb0
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
so im new to this fourm and the supra family just bought a very clean 86 ts6m and went to hit the water and long story short after 5 min or running lost all power and traced it to being a cloged fuel pick up tube it was plughed with like a foam almost like insulation has any one had this problem or heard of it before if so what are the chances of there being more and it happening again thanks

jet
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Old gas is like old leftovers in the fridge. As gas breaks down it turns into hairy looking stuff or can just turn into sand like sludge. Most likely your boat has been sitting for a longtime and once you drove it it started sucking stuff up that has been growing in the gas tank. Pull your gas tank dump it out and change your filters and take the front and rear bowls off the carb and clean those out to. Clean everything from tank to carb. A few hours of work but it wont happen again. Be sure and keep stable in it during the winter months. Jet

sybrmike
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Could be old gas like Jet said. Would definitely pull & clean the entire fuel system if you're finding chunks of ????

Also, pull the fuel sender & inspect the float. Only about half of the cork float left on mine & flushed a few pieces out while cleaning the tank (needed a new one anyway as it tested open circuit).

Old hoses and new gas don't always play nice together. The new ethanol blends can break down old rubber & cause flakes and chunks. Updated rubber (fuel fill, vent, pump feed) is pretty cheap insurance.

jet
03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Yep..didnt think about the cork. You still need to do this with a new boat that your not familiar with.

ddb0
03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
thanks for the help guys pulled the tank out earlier and it was clean as a whisel and the sending unit was intact so i dont know what it was like i said it was like insulation pluged up like an inch of the pick up tube and there were pieces in the f/w seperator too but no more in the tank so hopfully that was that and i dont have to worry im gonna put the boat back n the water tomorrow after work and give it another shot