PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire advice?

Blackntan90
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Well its that time, need to replace my trailer tires. I was looking to a group of people that I trust for input/advice on the tires you have/ have used in the past. I will not be putting car tires on my trailer(thats how I got it from the P.O.!) Thanks in advance! -Rich

mapleleaf
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I went with cheapo white spokes, but made sure the tire had a 6 ply side wall and that makes me comfortable enough....there are a lot of good options out there...

stinky_1
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I would have to double check, but I think I have load Range D 10 ply tires on mine.

I think you really just need to know what the weight of the boat and trailer are, and then divide that by 4 (the number of tires). and make sure your load range is at least that plus a factor of 20 - 30%

We always load gear in the trailer when we go on trips, so I would add an extra 1000 lbs or so onto that weight just to be sure. Its up to you though.

If a regular car or truck tire ends up having sufficient load range why would you want to pay more money for something you dont need?

Okie Boarder
03-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Definitely go with a tire that is specific for trailers and the load range suggestion is probably a good way to go. With tires I've let tire shops make the recommendations to me based on weight. Is your trailer 2 axle or 4 axle?

Blackntan90
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks, guys. My trailer is a tandem Sweetwater circa 1990. The reason for ST(trailer specific) tires are many, but I have heard bad things about goodyear marathons and carlisle tires not holding up well. Just curious what everybody else is using, and would they recomend them?

McDye
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I purchased a 02 rig that had factory Marathons, noticed they had knots in them. Read all the stories across various boards and replaced them with Maxxis. Since then have sold old rig and now have factory Trail America on new rig.

iwakeboard
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I switched to Greenball's, I've blown 3 Marathon's and will never tow with them again.

Sluggo
03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I had good luck with a set of Marathons, but on my camping trailer (8000lbs). I had a set for 6 years before they started to dry rot and finally lost one. When I got the boat it had Marathons on it so I was convinced they would last a while. They didn't. Lost two in one trip and they did not show any signs of wear other than being 3-4 years old. Of course I pull the boat faster than the trailer, so that might be a factor as well. Anyway, have had Goodride Super ST's on the boat for the last two summers with no issues. They were pretty reasonably priced at Tire Discounters and with the set of four I got a free alignment for the tow vehicle or any vehicle I wanted.

wotan2525
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
How long should trailer tires last? Mine are bald and weather cracked. And also at least 10 years old. I've really been on borrowed time. My spring to-do this year is all trailer. New wheels + tires, new brakes and possibly a new jack.

jet
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Here we go. Lol. I have 1- friend that went through 3-trailer tires in one month. I have another friend on here (supra) that went through 2-tires in one weekend and another that went through 2-tires in a short time. GO WITH RADIALS!! I use high performance tires. I am on my 2nd pair of T/A radials in 12 years!! To me the trailer tires cant handle the tempature. They get hot, then soft and then they BLOW UP! They dont loose air and you change them THEY BLOW UP! I trailer my boat at 70-80 mph and the tires are always fine. trailer tires are to soft for me. Jet

Blackntan90
03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
This is good info, guys. Jet, I have seen both bias and radials for trailer tires. I am def going with radials, just wanting some personal info on what works, and what to stay away from! I only tow at(or near) the posted speed limit- my wife is a great speed governor!! 'Your going too fast!' With that said keep the recomendations coming, please!

McDye
03-04-2011, 09:08 AM
No matter what brand you settle on, keep proper air presure in them and check often for long life.