PDA

View Full Version : Ski Locker cover rebuild - '88 Mariah

Tomcatjd
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I am replacing my ski locker cover. Do I need to use marine grade plywood or can I use regular hardwood plywood and seal it. If sealing regular plywood is an option, what would the best product to use for that be? Thanks for your help.

Okie Boarder
03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
No reason why you couldn't use regular plywood and seal it. CPES is a very good option. A couple coats of that would probably be even better than marine grade IMO.

csuggs
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM
No reason why you couldn't use regular plywood and seal it. CPES is a very good option. A couple coats of that would probably be even better than marine grade IMO.

DITTO - that's what I did and seems to have worked well . ..

jet
03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Where can you get cpec and bulk fiber glass resin. My big boat stores have gone out of business?

Okie Boarder
03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
CPES: www.rotdoctor.com

Resin and Glass: www.uscomposites.com

mapleleaf
03-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Ditto to the ditto, The factory used regular ply and it's held up this long, CPES is the ultimate coater....

jet
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
No local places??

Okie Boarder
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
You can look in your local phone book for fiberglass repair shops and supply shops. Sometimes the repair shops will sell supplies. That should cover you on the glass and resin. I don't think there are any local suppliers for CPES...check their website or call them to see...maybe there are. It's just as easy to order...just gotta wait a bit. US Composites pricing is hard to beat, even with shipping, though.

Salty87
03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
snoop around locally, might take a few calls. i found a place in austin that sells resin by the 5 gal bucket. lots easier and cheaper than getting it by the gallon.

uscomposites is good for 1 stop shopping. can't help with cpes although you can thin poly resin to use as a penetrating sealer.