PDA

View Full Version : Need some driver seat design help..

jet
03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I want to raise my driver seat around 4" or so. I was thinking about a box to set it on with a glove box drawer underneath for dry stuff. But, then I thought about a wet driver and all of the water dripping down. Help me out??

#1 is 4" too high (look funny)
#2 how to waterproof it? (glass it in)

mapleleaf
03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd love to see a flip up bolster for the older seats.....

sybrmike
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
It's your boat - make it the right height for you.

You could just build a traditional plywood seat base & then put a plastic glove box insert in the front or side panel. Most marine supply houses carry a couple of sizes.

cmtaylor777
03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh my god...... sell it. get a new one. You already have it ok'd with the misses.

mapleleaf
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh my god...... sell it. get a new one. You already have it ok'd with the misses.

I love it....

96Comp
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Jet: 4" is too high, IMO. I raised mine about 2" by using 5/8 sheet plywood and a swivel from Bass Pro Shop. The swivel really doesn't do much but does angle the seat out of the way when I am sliding under to get to the driver side front storage. 4" may look kind of goofy.

jet
03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Comp-good point!
cmtaylor-dont make me tell your wife I think your newly repainted entry way is the wrong color..it will keep her up at night and then you will have to repaint it. lmao

stinky_1
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
if you have access to a welder the best way would be to add a section into the metal base. Somewhere in the middle.

You may also consider trying to find a hydrolic seat adjuster thing like a computer chair would have. Retro fit that on. Have it sit factory height at the low setting and then extend up as high as 6" more on the tallest.

I also like sitting up much higher. So I can agree that its a good idea to get it done one way or another.

Okie Boarder
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
If you just want it to be able to be higher, try a pedestal like this. They sell some good looking helm seats with flip up bolsters too.

http://veada.com/product/8-Boat-Hinges-and-Pedestals/277--Posi-Lock-Adjustable-Height-Swivel-Boat-Seat-Pedestal.html

stinky_1
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
thats exactly what I was picturing in my head Okie. Good looking out!

mapleleaf
03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
great link Okie, bolster's!!!!!!!

DAFF
03-09-2011, 08:14 AM
The problem of those are the height. The shortest on is 16" tall.... That might be silly looking. How about a scissor jack out of a car or an old power seat frame. With some slight mods you would have infinite settings.....

The jack would be very EZ.. Weld a larger plate to the bottom and a swivel base on the chair side. A small rod on the lifting mech and you are good to go. Cover it up with some fabric like a manual stick shift and you are done.

jet
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
OK, yall are going off into the wrong direction, but thanks for your ideas. What I want is to build a BOX under the stock driver seat, I only need 2"-3". My best idea was to build a 4-5" box and put a glove box underneath but as Comp said, thats going to sit to high. So after that idea was scratched..Im just going to go with a 3" solid base. Any ideas on that would be helpful?? Now im just thinking of a 24"x24" block and glass it in. What do you think about that?? Thanks guys

Okie Boarder
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
What about making it with 2 x 4 and glassing it. Make a 24" square frame with 2 x 4 and a plywood top. Then glass the whole thing, paint it with bilgekote paint and install it. You could even carpet over it and add some sort of door.

dusty2221
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
New boats all have seats that are at least 4" off the ground and have flip up bolsters. Look into one of those.

:)

jet
03-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I will as soon as we change presidents and I feel more comfortable. No, she is actullay going up for sale soon!! Time for a upgrade.

96Comp
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Jet: Check out the EEz-In Low Profile Seat Slide and Locking Swivel at Overtons. It is 4" high, 7 inch of fore/aft travel and swivels. It may be just the ticket.

96Comp
03-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Jet: Trying to find a swivel base that won't break the bank. I found some at Gander Mountain on sale. It is a base that will mount on top of the current Supra tilted floor box. The mount is in two pieces and swivels and is about 5" tall. The cool thing is that the mount separates so you can access the space under the driver side without the seat in the way. I mocked it up by placing my seat on soup cans and it did not look too bad. Great view for driving but you will get wind in your face because you are over the windshield. The swivel is pretty effective because the seat is high. Get about 75 degrees or so of swivel. The cost for both parts is about $40. I plan on picking this up next time I am at Gander Mountain.

haugy
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
My factory base cracked and came apart on me last year. I built a new one out of wood, and then used trailer bunk carpeting to cover it in black. It really looks good, and is clean. I also raised mine about 3" as well as I like sitting high.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and show you. But basically built a box frame wide enough to mount the seat rails and sliders to. It has a very mild slope to create a comfortable seat that encourages you to sit back in it rather than be too upright.

With the black carpet you can't tell it's wood or not factory.

jet
03-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey both of those sound great. Hey comp do you have a link for that baby? Haugy Lets see those pic's. Thanks guys