PDA

View Full Version : WS-420 question

sidetracked3
03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a one that I have not installed yet. But Italked to a guy about installing it and he said their stereo guy installed one not to long ago and it sounded terrible. Said it did not help it at all. They eneded up taking it out. They even sent it back for another one to make sure something wasnt wrong and the same thing happened. But every post I have ever seen about them people rave about how great they are. Is it just possible they had it wired wrong? Anyone else have this issue?

Sluggo
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I have seen quite a few posts on the subject and no one seemed less than thrilled. My guess is it might be an install or tuning issue. Possibly cheap leads to the head unit? Anyway, it is on my wish list so if you know that guy that did not like his, please tell him I will take it off his hands, lol.

ditchsnake
03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I love mine. Controll features are great. Not too many wires, it would be hard to screw up. Pos, Neg and remote turn on. One set of rca's to it and three sets of rca's out.

docdrs
03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Its awesome, and easy install, I posted it on the moomba how to forum, now i'm doing the hse volume controller

Sluggo
03-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Doc,

I picked up one of those HSE's over the winter as well. Let me know what you use for the tach signal as I suppose they should be similiar between 05 and 08.

Thanks,

Dave

KG's Supra24
03-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Yea, and 06 too. :D

dusty2221
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Tach Signal is the only grey wire coming off the back of the tach for the HSE install.

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Doug,
I also have an HSE to add to the mix this spring. I have a WS-420 in this boat, and
had one in the last boat as well.

Would not want to be without it.

Cheap wires that are not properly routed will make ANYTHING sound bad, I would check
the quality of the wires back and forth to the head unit and amps.

There is also tuning that needs to happen on the WS-420 that happens at setup,
so the knobs are used later.

Also - I have found that if I have the volume turned too high on the head unit,
everything sounds bad. There are recommendations in the WS-420 install manual
for how to find the correct volume.

Todd

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for telling me about the grey wire Dusty ... maybe I can sell the
RPM sensor I bought with teh HSE since I didn't know which wire to use!

dusty2221
03-10-2011, 12:05 PM

The Grey wire is on my 06. There are only 3 wires (if I recall) running to the tach, one is a ground for the dash light, and then the hot fro the dash, then the grey that comes right off the middle.

chrisk
03-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Does anyone own/know about these? Whether or not they're comparable to the WS-420?

http://www.bulletlines.com/Krypt-KMA-4200-Wakeboard-EQ-p/4555.htm

dusty2221
03-13-2011, 10:44 AM
That's exactly what I have! Works flawlessly.

docdrs
05-23-2011, 02:40 AM

Todd , did you get yours installed? I did mine this weekend but can't find the tach wire. My tach gauge has 5 wires coming from it, there is a grey one but it didn't seem to affect the hse at all????

tg0824SSVGG
05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
No Doc,

I wasn't able to -- we're still raining like we live in Seattle here. I was hoping it's
going to be the grey wire -- so I can sell/return the tach sensor I bought
and not have to run that wire all the way to the back of the boat ...

I will let you know.

Todd

docdrs
05-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I found some good sites to help locate the wire, some pics too if I have to back to the motor.....I guess you can also run it off the perfect pass tach wire under the helm, it appears the one to the tach may be digital and not analog so its no good on post 06 or 07's

tg0824SSVGG
05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
You saying you found sites to indicate what wire "up front"? to use?

Sluggo
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Doc, please share any information you might have as I plan to do my install this week as well.

As I was messing with things and trying to identify all the cables I was going to need and I realized that my currrent setup utilizes both front and rear of the head unit into the first amp (4 cabin speakers), then lines out of the first amp to the second amp which drives the factory Roswell tower cans (4) and the sub. Not being a stereo guy, I plan to put just one set of left and right into the HSE and then to the Clarion EQ. The EQ then has front and rear outputs so I will need to get rid of my lineout from one amp to the other so the fader will control the volume of the towers seperately. But what about the sub? There are seperate outputs on the EQ for the sub but not a seperate input on the amp, at least not in the current setup. With the KAC-8004 I could take the sub input from the EQ and connect it to the B channel on the 2nd amp to keep it seperate. Would I bridge that connection? I don't think it is right now, but I could be wrong as it is a little hard to get to and trace wires down.

docdrs
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
You saying you found sites to indicate what wire "up front"? to use?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?//topic/16689-hse-revolution-volume-control/page__st__20

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31782-help-with-a-install-got-some-info-up/
http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting/TroubleMoomba2007-2008.pdf

here is what I found , some pics also if you have to run one from the engine

docdrs
05-25-2011, 11:50 PM
after more searching it appears you can splice into the 9 wire on the perfect pass engine harness that should be under the dash. If ours is the same as moomba it looks like the white /black wire

http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting/TroubleMoomba2007-2008.pdf

docdrs
05-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Doc, please share any information you might have as I plan to do my install this week as well.

As I was messing with things and trying to identify all the cables I was going to need and I realized that my currrent setup utilizes both front and rear of the head unit into the first amp (4 cabin speakers), then lines out of the first amp to the second amp which drives the factory Roswell tower cans (4) and the sub. Not being a stereo guy, I plan to put just one set of left and right into the HSE and then to the Clarion EQ. The EQ then has front and rear outputs so I will need to get rid of my lineout from one amp to the other so the fader will control the volume of the towers seperately. But what about the sub? There are seperate outputs on the EQ for the sub but not a seperate input on the amp, at least not in the current setup. With the KAC-8004 I could take the sub input from the EQ and connect it to the B channel on the 2nd amp to keep it seperate. Would I bridge that connection? I don't think it is right now, but I could be wrong as it is a little hard to get to and trace wires down.

sluggo , you may be able to splice right into your tack gauge as it is possibly analog. They went to digital in 2007 I think

docdrs
05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Todd, I got all wrapped up in my center display that I forgot to try my actual tach gauge wires.....but somehow i think they are digital. I tried Doug Childress at ext 130 at skiers choice but have yet to get a hold of him. I will keep ya posted.

docdrs
05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
The sauga continues........ the perfect pass is integrated into the medallion mdc unit and there are no analog wires under my dash. Got a hold of Doug Childres at S.C. and he set me up with the 340 wireing diagram but basically said the grey wire coming off the coil to the ecm is the one I wnat to tap into.....thank you Doug........hope this works he was super to talk to btw.

docdrs
05-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Sluggo , Did you get yours in? You can prob use the grey wire from your tach under your helm. Talking to S.C. and Perfect Pass, sometime I think in 2007 medallion bought some rights from perfect pass and integrated it into their mdc unit.....so everything coming to the helm is all can data and therefore no analog signals( at least in the supras). So 2007 and up ,we have to pull the signal off the motor. Going up next weekend and will take some pics as to where I tap in, unless someone who has a 2009 340 cat w hse wants to post one for me ..... please :)

Sluggo
05-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Not yet. Wife put to many non-boat related tasks on the todo list, lol. Should get to it next week though.