PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for the water

dickboxers
03-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Its that time again. I am waiting on my bonus so i can get her ready for the water. I planned on getting new belts, new impeller, engine hoses, exhaust hoses, filters, and changing the oil of corse. Does anyone recomend something i've missed so far.

jet
03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
No, that is a good place to start. Is there other stuff you can do?? Yes, the list is endless. Lol

jzelt
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Possibly new spark plugs? I change mine every few years. ~100 hrs per year.
The way things are going, more money for gas...

dickboxers
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah. The way it looks now I don't know how many 3 day lake trips i can afford. Might have to stick to 2 day trips, or make my loser friends chip in. HaHa

96Comp
03-12-2011, 10:03 PM
How often do you replace the exhaust hoses? I did the mufflers last summer. With gas hitting $4 to $5/gal this summer, I am replacing the plug wires, points, plugs - basically anything to make it more efficient. Probably run less ballast, too.

jet
03-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I just took my exhaust off and Its like brand new inside and hoses are ok, no need to replace as long as they arent dry rotted. Comp you have to do the electronic ignition, new wires cap and rotor. Plugs will last a long time. Just be sure and run barrymans carb cleaner in ALL YOUR CARS once a month or so. it makes it run SO MUCH SMOOTHER and starts way faster. Do it!!

96Comp
03-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Jet: Which engine do you have and which electronic ignition? I spoke with a guy at skidim and the cost was upwards of $500. At the time I did not have access to the boat so could not read him the distributor numbers. Understand new distributor and coil are necessary.

jet
03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
OK, Its just a standard 351, you can also call summit racing they have them to. I cant see all of the numbers because of paint but here are the main ones. Marine SAE L5JK?2100-CA Thats all I could get with out sanding off some paint, sorry. I looked at skidim and Its the $145 version Im 98% sure. I did see the $450 model but I dont think Its that one. I paid $110 for mine a while back.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
SkiDIM.com should have a conversion kit on sale at this time of year.

Mani
03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah. The way it looks now I don't know how many 3 day lake trips i can afford. Might have to stick to 2 day trips, or make my loser friends chip in. HaHa

I like the "make my loser friends chip in" idea. My loser friends need to start pitchin' into the gas fund.

csuggs
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Dickboxers - I got my electronic ignition from skidim a few years ago on sale. I have the 351W with Prestolite distributor and I bought the Pertronix Ignitor ignition. Just talk to Vince at skidim and he'll set you up. No need for a $400 part.

dickboxers
05-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I was looking into making it where i can hook up the water hose to my boat to start up at the house. Can i just insert a value or do i need a fancy expensive thing like the Perko Engine Flush kit i found online.

jzelt
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I took a $6 toilet plunger, drilled a hole in the side of it and put in a female hose adapter and made a fake-a-lake.

I would be tempted to put a T in the intake line and do a hose adapter.
It would save you from having to climb under the boat, worry about it staying connected/upright the entire time while moving around in the boat, etc. Also prevents you from having to crawl back under in the wet spots to retrieve it.

I always have someone outside watching it and the exhaust flow to make sure the boat is sucking up the water right. Haven't had an issue doing it this way for 3 years (twice a year), but I think your direction would be a better way to go, just not as cheap.