PDA

View Full Version : Why has Supra gone V drive?

DrewT
12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
It looks like the 2005 models are mostly V drive. There is no over 20 foot direct drive SS's anymore. The V drives I have skiied behind have too big of a wake. Is Supra going more for the wakeboarding now?

delbert
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
I also see that the Santera is not shown on the 2005 site. Anyone know if the Sunsport, Launch SS, and Santera are available in 2005?

12-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Guys,

The Santera, Launch SS and Sunsport were not offered in 05. As to direct drives. We have the Comp LTS series and the Launch as well. Hope that helps

Rick

Ed Obermeier
12-21-2004, 12:41 AM
My guess is that this is where the most sales are for Supra, in wakeboarding, so that's how they've positioned themselves production-wise. They're beginning to make inroads back into the slalom market with the LTS but the majority of boat sales are in wakeboarding where Supra is considered right up there with MC and Nautique etc. Any good business goes where the sales and profits are and for now that's wakeboarding.

Once people catch onto what a great slalom boat the LTS is (the previous Comp was and outstanding slalom boat too but suffered from not being more agressively marketed to serious slalom skiers) I think you'll be seeing more of them around. Again more agressive marketing (you need a promo program Skiers Choice) would make a huge difference.

DrewT
12-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I read an article in one of the magazines that discussed the V drive vs. direct drive and one of the manufacturers stated that there is more of a profit margin on v drive and in addition there are more accessories requested from the factory, where they make a lot of money. According to this guy, there has never been a good profit margin in direct drive business,which has limited competition.

dmgx
12-30-2004, 12:29 PM
The prior posts are correct for the most part. Put simply the reason is simply consumer demand. There has been a huge shift in the market and the buyers wants and needs. The v-drives are also more appealing to a wider audience including I/O owners. To answer the other question the Launch SS, Sunsport, and the Santera are not offered in 2005. We have not replaced them per say, but made adjustments in the line to reflect consumer wants. We introduced the Launch 21v, Sunsport 24V, and the Launch 24V thanks, Jay Warren

Legace
02-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Part of the attraction to a certain competetive watersports manufacturer is their positioning in each aspects of the sport overall. It seems this year the lines are for wakeboarders. I am not a skier primarily but I do like to see more offerings in this part of the sport. I have a hard time feeling the only other DD besides the Comp in the Launch line.